Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
View: https://youtu.be/jEBgqcXBWDg

"Georgia governor gives green light for some businesses to reopen on Friday

Haircuts, tattoos, and bowling matches will be back on the menu for people in Georgia following a new order lifting many of the coronavirus restrictions put in place.

Gov. Brian Kemp announced on Monday a series of social distancing guidelines that will allow businesses such as gyms, hair salons, tattoo parlors, and bowling alleys to reopen on Friday. By next week, movie theaters will be allowed to start showing films, and restaurants will be allowed to have limited dine-in service options in addition to the takeout orders they had been limited to before the order.

"In the same way that we carefully closed businesses and urged operations to end to mitigate the virus’s spread, today we’re announcing plans to incrementally and safely reopen sectors of our economy," Kemp said.

State Rep. David Clark, a Republican, said he hoped other states followed Georgia's lead, saying, "If we continue on the path we are headed down, we will totally destroy not only the U.S. economy but also the world economy."

All businesses that reopen have to implement strict social distancing guidelines and sanitization policies to help mitigate any spread of the virus. Employees must have their temperatures tested, wear gloves and masks, and enforce social distancing of 6 feet between customers. Bars and clubs were not included in the list of businesses that could reopen.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...light-for-some-businesses-to-reopen-on-friday "

·
Cheese?
10,004 Posts
Several of those things I'd do, in a thoughtful way - I need a haircut something fierce.

Others, not so much.

I can't imagine someone dumb enough to watch a movie in even a half-full movie theater right now.

I'm sure they exist, see my sig line.

I don't know when I'd be ready to watch a movie in a theater again, but it's not going to be real soon. Damn shame, I *love* going to the movies with my college age kids, share a big-ass tub of over-buttered popcorn, etc. It's one of my favorite activities, and I can't wait to be able to do it again.

And I can tell you, there's zero chance of me going to a movie in the coming weeks, maybe months.

To be clear, I'm a huge fan of re-opening things, especially with a bit of sane distance-keeping, tons of hand-washing, and a bit of mask-wearing where you really need to be up close with someone - like a barber/hairdresser.

But movie theaters seem just behind 'crowded bar' on my list of no-go's for a while.

·
Georgia gal
1,144 Posts
I check the Georgia health department's official website each day, and I'm having trouble seeing that Georgia has met the requirements for Phase 1 yet, but I'm not an expert. Our testing is very low compared to other states, and our numbers of confirmed cases are still increasing a lot.

Out of a total of a little over 20,000 confirmed cases, there was an increase of over 1,700 cases yesterday (from April 20 to April 21), according to the numbers from Georgia's official website for those two days.

I know we do have to open things and get back to work soon, but I'm wondering if this is a bit too soon in Georgia. Very recently Georgia wasn't supposed to peak until early May, but now we supposedly did on April 6. I hope Governor Kemp knows what he's doing.

Eyes will be on Georgia, for sure.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My main concern is Metro-Atlanta. I do apologize for my next statements: That place is a cesspool of funk/germs. Hopefully the city Mayor adds some strict guidelines for that city. If there is one city/area in Georgia that would have a recurrence, it is going to be Atlanta. I guess you folks can see I don't much care for Atlanta, in more than one way...

·
Georgia gal
1,144 Posts
Oh noes! We're all going to die! The sky will fall! :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that.

Like some others, I'm just having a hard time seeing that Georgia has met the requirements for opening under Phase 1, which made Gov. Kemp's announcement prompt some questioning.

Many places ARE on the decline, but it's not clear that Georgia's one of them yet. Hopefully that won't be a big problem; guess we'll see soon enough.

Regardless, all my kids are still working, although some from home and with reduced pay. Some of the grandkids aren't, though, and of course they're having to do school and college on line. So far they've all been healthy, as have I. I certainly want things to get back to normal as soon as reasonable, especially for them. I'm retired and it's easy for me to stay home if there's a need. My family and the other younger people, not so much.

I think there's a lot of middle ground between "The sky is falling and we're all going to die (right now)," and "Covid-19 is just a bad cold so any precaution is dumb." I'm in that middle ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts