Georgia Brown's Restaurant Review (photo heavy)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock&KimberLady, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

Having done BLT Prime twice, it seemed dumb to go to BLT Steak for lunch. Been to the Capitol Grille enough to know I like it, so I went out of my comfort zone and went to a restaurant that's "known" for its low country cooking.

What is that? Well, my other thread contains several replies, but this is what I got today.

SRS, the service was pretty good, and I got there 30 minutes before my reservation. The place wasn't terribly hopping for a Wednesday afternoon, but they were pretty Johnny-on-the-spot with service in terms of refills for water and Arnold Palmers and such.

IMG_2732.jpg

Interesting ceiling decor:

IMG_2733.jpg

Started with a basket of bread and cornbread. The cornbread was pretty sweet (and Madeleine-shaped!) and not dry at all. The biscuits were flaky and buttery and quite good. Minus one point for the whipped butter, because it was cold and hard to spread.

IMG_2734.jpg

Cajun shrimp and grits for an appetizer. I've never had grits, and these tasted like ... I don't know what they tasted like. Cream of Wheat but chunkier? The tails were still on the shrimp but I'm a frigging savage so I ate them, tails and all.

IMG_2736.jpg

Main course - "Deconstructed Jambalaya", which was jerk chicken, shrimp, duck confit, andouille sausage, and red beans and rice. Holy damn good and rather spicy. I ate half of it, brought the other half home for The Mister, to expand his horizons (he's a boring gourmand, meat n' pertaters type). The duck was phenomenally good, neither greasy nor dry.

IMG_2737.jpg

Side of roasted asparagus. Also ate half.

IMG_2738.jpg

Besides, I had to save room for this (bread pudding):

IMG_2739.jpg

Then I had to walk all that off, so I walked from H & 15th Streets (roughly) to Smithsonian, with this freaking storm brewing. Side note, do not wear a wrap dress in downtown DC when a storm is blowing up, because everyone will get a peek at your slip when the wind blows.

IMG_2741.jpg

The rain hit about 100 yards from the station. I opened my umbrella, which then promptly turned inside out from the wind, so I gave it up as a bad job.

The rain band:

IMG_2743.jpg

MRW when I realize that my contacts are making me absolutely nuts, I'm totally stuffed and can't fart because I'm on the Metro, and I've left my contact case on the breakfast table at home. :ack:

IMG_2745.jpg

All in all, a good day. I may go back again sometime in the near future, but with this many restaurants to try in DC, it will be a while. Total for meal was $68 and some change, so $88 and change with tip.

Now I need a nap.

edit: (bolded stuff is changes to things I realized I'd said wrong - it was the duck, not chicken that was neither greasy nor dry, and I didn't shortchange the guy on the tip, but tipped him $20 on a $68 bill. derp)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

That's pretty upscale from the Low Country dives I tend to frequent. Looks like a great meal. Your pic is priceless!

Paul53 likes this.

3. r3dot

r3dot

Cool, detectorist style double dipping on the thread creations.

And tl;dr, cliffs ?

4. Lvs1935

Lvs1935

Never had grits? Goodness, you're a true Yankee! Not that there is anything wrong with that. Grits are everywhere in these parts. People put cheese or syrup on them for flavor. Some like to stir their eggs in them. You should take a side trip to Charleston some time. The Carolina coast has its own special vibe.

5. Glock&KimberLady

tl;dr Ate food I hadn't had before, pretty gud.

Paul53 likes this.
  6. Glock&KimberLady

Dude, I'm not even a Yankee, I'm from the West Coast. :tongueout:

Glockworks and Paul53 like this.
  7. Glock&KimberLady

I can handle contacts for about six hours and then I'm done. That number goes way, way down when the wind in downtown DC is kicking up like a hurricane and blowing dust all over the place. My eyes were getting gummy and sticky and pissed off and I was like, eh, I'll just pop them out on the train...only to discover I had no case and nowhere to put them. I about sprinted upstairs when I got home to get those things outta my eyes. :freak:

GVIFlyer likes this.
  8. Glock&KimberLady

Also, my server was a big black guy with a beard and shaved head named Abdullah. He asked my name and then asked if it was OK to refer to me by it for the remainder of my stay there. I told him of course, and he didn't forget my name once despite handling at least four other tables (two of them four-tops) that I could tell. :thumbsup:

Paul53 and GVIFlyer like this.
  9. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

Great review. I've been to DC a handful of times, but never been to Georgia Brown's. I'm good with everything but the cornbread. Comedian and Georgia son, Louis Grizzard once said, "Cornbread hadn't oughta be sweet. That's in the Bible, I just can't remember what book". Georgia Brown's is on my next time in DC list. The Deconstructed Jambalaya looks particularly interesting, with some nice French bread in lieu of of cornbread. Having a full-blood Cajun wife, Jambalaya is a weekly staple, much like some people have spaghetti night.

Stevekozak likes this.
  10. Glock&KimberLady

I hadn't had grits, but my mom's from Kentucky and I've had collards, hog maws, chitlins, and head cheese. So I'm not a total novice when it comes to country food.

That and my aunt, also from Kentucky, may she rest in peace, forced me to try what - at the time - seemed like the weirdest dessert ever.

Strawberries, tops cut off, sliced in half. Bowl of sour cream, bowl of brown sugar. Dip in sour cream, dip in sugar, blows your face right off with the combo of fruity, tangy, and sweet.

Pope-onna-Rope likes this.
  11. Glock&KimberLady

Well, the basket was comprised of two biscuits and two cornbread Madeleines. I imagine they would swap out the cornbread if you asked. They were extremely accommodating. I would definitely say "try it" then next time you're here - I left absolutely stuffed and I ate all of my appetizer, half of my meal, and 3/4 of the bread pudding (you can see what my priorities are). :D

I would stuff my face with the jambalaya (deconstructed or otherwise) weekly but it would turn my ass into a three-axe-handle-wide proposition.

I realized I said the "chicken" was neither dry nor greasy; I should have said the DUCK was neither dry nor greasy. The chicken (being jerk) was pretty spicy and the andouille sausage wasn't quite blow your face off hot but it was enough for me to start getting warm (as I like it). I've had duck before but not duck confit so this was an interesting way of eating it. It was a tossup between all the meats to which was the best because the skrimps were damned good too.

GlockFan7 likes this.
  12. Glock&KimberLady

I think next DC lunch adventure will be at Fogo de Chão, as it's been mentioned favorably several times here.

ALL THE MEATSES YESPLEASE THX

G19Tony and RonS like this.
  13. Lvs1935

Lvs1935

You've got me beat when it comes to chitlins and that strawberry dish. I've never heard of that one. That's an interesting combination. I'm guessing I might like chitlins if they were prepared by somebody who knew what they were doing. I've just never tried them.

14. Glock&KimberLady

Honestly? Chitlins (or chitterlings, if you're fancy) stink really bad before you cook them, worse after they're cooked, and they're like...god how do I explain this, they're like meat-flavored...you know that skin that pudding can get on it if you don't cover it? Think of that, but meat flavored (but the meats smells and tastes like it's going bad) and more chewy. Super chewy but not in a chewy good way, but like a rubbery, gummy, "I probably shouldn't be eating this so how can I discreetly spit it out because the trash can is 15 feet away" kind of way.

You are truly not missing out.

Now, the strawberry dish...when they're in season, get thee on that post-haste because it's a crowd pleaser (people can adjust how much sour/sweet they want and there's no need to double dip) and I haven't met anyone YET who doesn't like it...despite whatever misgivings they might have at the outset.

15. Glock&KimberLady

FYI I eat both menudo and tripas and like them both fine. Something goes wrong in the translation with chitlins. :ack:

16. SRS

SRS

Totally different experience, but Michel Richard's Central is just across the street from Fogo and BLT Prime. The food is very good and reasonably priced. It was a far less expensive alternative to Richard's now-closed Citronelle.

17. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Ate at the one in Chicago a number of years ago during IMTS, the spits turning over wood fires looked amazing as we walked up in the dark, I was pumped by the time we entered and it did not disappoint.

Sirloin? Why, yes, thank you very much, more would be good. I regretted walking the ten blocks to get there, but not the walk to the hotel, I needed it.

18. pgg00

pgg00

Dammit i want some. I'm hungry again

19. Glock&KimberLady

/writes down furiously/

In recounting the day's adventures to The Mister, he said, quite reasonably, "Well, we've hit most of the major museums and their exhibits; maybe we should give them a rest and do some restaurant-hopping in DC for a while."

IMG_4229.GIF

G30SF/F-250 and tous like this.
  20. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

:alex:
    Familial lore states my greatxxxxgrandmother invented that stuff. I'm quite culinarily adventurous, but...nope, no ma'am, negative ghostrider.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017