Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Including other brands which include: WWB FMJ, WWB JHP, Speer GDHP. All 125gr.

Well, to start off I expected the GA arms ammo to be packed hotter than typical factory ammo that you buy at the stores. IE: AE, Remingston, WWB, Blazer, etc, but it wasn't the case. They seemed to be right at the same level as any other. Out of the 100 rounds fired I experienced about 12 failures. Anything after that I lost count. What I've noticed was at each failure(FTfeed) the previous cartridge fired was Very underpowered. I would say about 50-60% less perceived recoil, which I suspect was causing the misfeed of the subsequent round.

The good thing about GA arm ammo other than the underpowered ammo was consistency. They shot true and accurate compared to the WWB JHP. The left most shot in this picture was from the WWB JHP. The WWB JHP recoil was very erratic to say the least. It felt as if it was more snappy like the .40s&w round.
All the other FMJ's and Speer GDHP shot true and felt like +p+/+p 9mm (except for the underpowered GA arms ammo, of course).

This was at 7yards.

Another

1. Looking at only the center target only; upper hemisphere of the target. Everything that was placed outside the bullseye zone was the GA arms canned ammo.

2. The bullseye shots were a mixture of all the FMJ's and Speer GDHP.

3. Southern hemisphere of center target. 4/5 o'clock position: The two shots were from the Speer GDHP.

Brand/type Scores: (Note these are subjective and are MY observations)

My ratings from 1-5:

1. WWB JHP: Had about 3-4 failures. I don't think they were from the previously shot ammo because none of them felt under-powered. I think it had to do with the shape of the bullet itself.

A) Perceived recoil: erratic and sometimes uncontrollable between rounds.
Score: 2
B) Accuracy: It's a hit or miss. Literally. Some shot high left and some high right. Some dead on.
C) Consistency: Score: 3

Total: 7

2. WWB FMJ: Consistent and accurate for the most part. More so than the GA arms canned ammo.

A) Perceived recoil: Consistent and controllable. Felt like +p 9mm ammo.
Score: 4
B) Accuracy: Accurate. None of the shots with these were outside my POI.
C) Consistency: Most all of them fell in the ballpark of of each other.

Total: 12

3. GA Arms FMJ: For the most part they were consistent except for the ~12 rounds out of the 100 fired. The normal powered rounds were excellent. Shot true and perceived recoil was very consistent between each one of them.

A)PR: Speaking strictly of the normal powered rounds. Felt just like WWB in consistency and controllability.

B) Accuracy: The normal powered rounds were great as stated before.

C) Consistency: As stated earlier there was a consistency issue with the underpowered rounds. I would expect better from GA Arms.

Total: 10

4. Speer GDHP: Consistent and accurate. Not a single failure. The perceived recoil had more hefty-ness to it as if they were a higher grain bullet. More of a 45acp push characteristic plus the snap. Still very controllable with practice.

A) PR: A push + snap but nothing too extreme. Just right in terms of what I expect from Gold dot.
Score: 5

B) Accuracy: Not much to say. Score: 5

C) Consistency: Again not much to say. Score: 5

Total: 15

On my next range trip when I get a chance I would like to shoot the speer lawman rounds. I've shot 9mm speer lawmans and find them pleasurable to shoot that mimic the gold dot cartridge.

So was the GA arms ammo worth it? For the most part, yes. At about $15 a box(50), I am satisfied, although I would rather pay little more and buy speer lawmans.

Discuss.......

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yeah, 12 out of 100 is pretty bad in a glock...That would be enough for me not to purchase from them again( I personally have never fired any of their ammo) Edit: Looks like tc has given a possible explanation...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Going by your sig, I'm guessing you were shooting a G32?

Gold Dots will not feed in my G32. I have to use Golden Sabers.

I also shoot GA Canned Heat through my G32 on a regular basis, and have had no issues. I've actually won Bullseye matches with my G32 using the Georgia Arms ammo.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So do you know why the 12 rounds of the Georgia didn't fire?
You misunderstood. The 12 rounds were Failure to FEEDS. That is possibly due to the previous round being very underpowered not cycling the slide all the way back. That is my hypothesis at this point.

Yeah, 12 out of 100 is pretty bad in a glock...That would be enough for me not to purchase from them again( I personally have never fired any of their ammo) Edit: Looks like tc has given a possible explanation...
I don't know seems like they're fine for some then not so great for others, like me unfortunately.

Going by your sig, I'm guessing you were shooting a G32?

Gold Dots will not feed in my G32. I have to use Golden Sabers.

I also shoot GA Canned Heat through my G32 on a regular basis, and have had no issues. I've actually won Bullseye matches with my G32 using the Georgia Arms ammo.
Yeah, I was shooting the G32. Gold dots fed fine. Not sure why yours wouldn't feed just as well.
Sounds like our G32's have mixed feelings for calibers. One likes GD's the other doesn't. Question, when did you buy your GAarms canned ammo?

·
Registered
32,384 Posts
The canned heat stated fps is 1300. Don't know what barrel length that is but that seems a bit low to me for 357 Sig.

Their Gold Dot stuff is 1400 fps.

·
Observer
1,922 Posts
I'm surprised...I should have a bag or two of GA .357sig, I'll try to go to the range next week and measure some of them... I assume stock Glock ? ...32 have a shorter barrel but this should not be a problem to the extend that the gun will give you FTF, unless as you said, the ammo is like underpowered ...I am surprised...

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm surprised...I should have a bag or two of GA .357sig, I'll try to go to the range next week and measure some of them... I assume stock Glock ? ...32 have a shorter barrel but this should not be a problem to the extend that the gun will give you FTF, unless as you said, the ammo is like underpowered ...I am surprised...
Yup. Rest of the 88 rounds shot and fired great. The 12 were significant with the less pressures.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Interesting. I've shot through almost 2000 rounds of GA 357 SIG, but in the 50rd bags (easier to grab a few bags than lug 1k to every range trip). Zero failures so far and accurate as well.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I wasn't expecting the Ga Arms to have any problems.. I will have try and go out this weekend and shoot the 50rounds I have and see whats up.. Mine are brass and not the nickel like yours.. maybe I should weigh each round and check for consistency.. maybe you should as well,and if you find any inconsistencies contact Ga Arms? just a thought

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wasn't expecting the Ga Arms to have any problems.. I will have try and go out this weekend and shoot the 50rounds I have and see whats up.. Mine are brass and not the nickel like yours.. maybe I should weigh each round and check for consistency.. maybe you should as well,and if you find any inconsistencies contact Ga Arms? just a thought
I think I'll do that. Thanks. I'm going to shoot another 100 today and see how that goes to make sure it is really the ammo. I have been shooting for over 20yrs so I am almost sure I'm not limp wristing or any of that deal.

·
No Demlibtards
1,463 Posts
Good report, thank you. I also agree you should contact GA, I think they would like to know.

·
Registered
14,821 Posts
12% failure is terrible. I assume you have more. I'd keep track throughout the rest and contact GA about your experiences.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Have you tried shooting Atlanta arms and ammo before? I've put a few thousand rounds of it through my g23 with out a single failure. Good price too. I would contact Georgia arms if you have any more failures.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Have you tried shooting Atlanta arms and ammo before? I've put a few thousand rounds of it through my g23 with out a single failure. Good price too. I would contact Georgia arms if you have any more failures.
Only thing about Atlanta arms is, They want you to buy from a GS that marks it up even more. I personally would rather buy direct and eliminate the middle man. Unless it's some where like Luckygunner etc. who has good bulk deals...

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks and you're welcome gentlemen. I shot another 100 rounds today and experienced about the same 10%-15% failure rate.

Possible culprits:
1. G32 pistol problem. The only reason I'm not counting the pistol out is that everyone else seems to be having great experiences with GA Arms ammo.
2. GA Arms ammo. Although many of us been having good experience I'm not ruling this out.

For now I think I'm going to send the gen3 G32 in for warranty and eliminate that as being the culprit. In the meantime, I'm going to run the GAarms ammo in another pistol of mine, the Gen4 G22 with 31 barrel and see if I can replicate the problem. Oh, and no I have never shot Atlanta Arms ammo. :)

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks and you're welcome gentlemen. I shot another 100 rounds today and experienced about the same 10%-15% failure rate.

Possible culprits:
1. G32 pistol problem. The only reason I'm not counting the pistol out is that everyone else seems to be having great experiences with GA Arms ammo.
2. GA Arms ammo. Although many of us been having good experience I'm not ruling this out.

For now I think I'm going to send the gen3 G32 in for warranty and eliminate that as being the culprit. In the meantime, I'm going to run the GAarms ammo in another pistol of mine, the Gen4 G22 with 31 barrel and see if I can replicate the problem. Oh, and no I have never shot Atlanta Arms ammo. :)

Stay tuned.
have you tried different mags? the gen4 22 mags will work as well

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
have you tried different mags? the gen4 22 mags will work as well
I only used the 2 that came with the pistol. I'm really hoping it's just the G32 that's the culprit.

I'll report as soon as I get my g31 barrel for my Gen4 g22.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would try the 22 mags in the 32 first(unless you already have a 31 barrel) and see what that does.. then try the 22/31.. Just my thoughts.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.