George Floyd Dropping Square White Baggie (Video)

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by DonGlock26, Jun 1, 2020.

1. kiole

kiole

His past doesn’t matter, the only thing that matters is the direct events that led to his death.

Was he resisting when he was pinned down for over 8 minutes until he died?

Each of these incidents should be viewed through a neutral lens. If you automatically say every black death at the hands of the police is brutality you are the problem. The very same is true if you believe every black guy that dies at the hands of the police had it coming.

Until we can treat every person with a presumption of innocence and not someone who deserves death this will continue. The police need to be held to a higher standard. One bad apple is unacceptable in a police department. These loose cannons needs to be cut from the force. There shouldn’t be sides in this fight. Everyone should agree we need police to be accountable for their actions and held to a higher standard. We must also agree police have a right to defend themselves. Ultimately we need to get to a place where we trust the justice system to find the truth in these cases.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  2. DonD

DonD

For the most part I agree. One bad apple in the PD? Please name a profession that is bad apple free? Answer, there isn't one. Not in the PD, the military, the clergy nowhere. And CERTAINLY not politicians.

I would think you'd also know that many PDs do throw their officers under the proverbial bus, they don't have their backs, they are happy to take "scalps" and invite FBI/DOJ oversight by desk jockies who have little if any street experience. Tough environment out there.

I've been hammered for talking about Floyd's past. I will say it again, the behavior of the cop who sat on his back/neck and who ignored Floyd's statement that he couldn't breathe was totally unacceptable. I support the cops firing and the 3rd Degree Murder charge. He was a bad apple and will likely pay a high price for his misconduct. Cops don't fare well in prison, particularly in this case, the black inmates will probably tune him up regularly. Don

PEC-Memphis likes this.

3. kiole

kiole

I like Chris Rocks take on this.

[​IMG]

When a bad apple is found they should removed from the job quickly. This officer had many complaints against him. I’m sure people in the department knew he had questionable judgement.

I think breaking up the police unions and paying cops better would go a long way in getting the right people on positions of power.

DonD likes this.
  4. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

When one talks about pay for performance, the "performance" must be well defined. People will drive to the "performance" goal. This is a general statement for workers.

But, if "performance" is as an example, "less crime" that could be achieved by making fewer reports of crime. It could be achieved by a true reduction in crime. I suspect Singapore has less drug crimes than other places. Totalitarian regimes often have "less crime"

Measuring performance must be done well to get the desired outcome.

5. OdinIII

OdinIII

He had less than 1 complaint per year and his job is to arrest people. How many complaints do you think you would have if you were a Policeman? One per year seems pretty good to me.

MikeV., Dave Brubaker and DonGlock26 like this.
  6. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

It just came out on the news today that he had fentanyl and meth in his system.

DonGlock26 likes this.
  7. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Well, Butch, I do not know the specifics of the security management, building, club, posts, shifts and the employment overlap. Without that knowledge, I would not bet "one way or the other" even with your money.

8. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

Look, if he was a meth head or heroin addict or whatever, I don't know.
    He was under control, handcuffed and in custody. He didn't deserve to be treated that way, regardless.

Butch_Coolidge likes this.
  9. kiole

kiole

Which changes what?

Butch_Coolidge likes this.
  10. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Ok, let's pay cops like pilots, treat cops like pilots, and give them the same training hours.

11. Butch_Coolidge

Butch_Coolidge

I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. kiole

kiole

Pilots start off at 25k a year after years of training.. They don’t start making great money until years into their career after grueling hours and training on smaller aircraft and ****ty routes.

Cops in my town make 55k-60k a year and 100k+ with overtime and side work.

13. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

His likelihood of dying when being restrained.

Just 2 to 3 milligrams of this (fentanyl) drug can kill a person. It blocks opioid receptors and its most dangerous side effect -- like other opioids -- is respiratory depression, which can quickly lead to coma and death.

https://www.drugs.com/illicit/fentanyl.html

EOS likes this.
  14. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

We have a very common saying in law-enforcement. If you’re not getting complaints, you’re not doing your job. 99.9% are completes are total bull****.. Police officers that don’t get complaints are the ones that hide under a shade tree all shift. You know, like the Baltimore police who are only “reactive” because they’re democratic city management won’t back them.

DonGlock26 likes this.
  15. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Overall pilots make more money. Do you want pay pilot wages and improve personnel training or not?

BLS statistics:

"Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2019

53-2011 Airline Pilots, Copilots, and Flight Engineers
    Percentile wage estimates for this occupation:

Percentile 10% 25% 50%
    (Median)
    75% 90%
    Annual Wage (2) $74,100 $99,090 $147,220 (5) (5)
    https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes532011.htm#nat"

Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2019
    33-3051 Police and Sheriff's Patrol Officers
    Percentile wage estimates for this occupation:

Percentile 10% 25% 50%
    (Median)
    75% 90%
    Hourly Wage $17.77 $22.69 $30.36 $40.60 $50.59
    Annual Wage (2) $36,960 $47,190 $63,150 $84,440 $105,230
    https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes333051.htm#nat "

16. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I think we've seen that throwing tax dollars at government run entities like the department of education really doesn't "fix" anything.

17. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

I don't see the connection. I agree that the dept of education actually educates no one.

Hey look, a Democrat started it:

"It began operating on May 4, 1980, having been created after the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare was split into the Department of Education and the Department of Health and Human Services by the Department of Education Organization Act, which President Jimmy Carter signed into law on October 17, 1979.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_Education "

18. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I don't think paying cops or teachers more money will get us better cops or teachers.

19. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Really? You don't think increasing wages for police officers would allow hiring standards to be raised?

20. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

A couple things that should probably be known about this location and it's history. It has a long history of questionable business practices. In the 80's and 90's it was known as a place you could use your food stamps for cigarettes, beer, or a number of other things. It was very close to being shut down when it was discovered that employees were selling crack in the deli. I don't know if ownership has changed, or if the business practices have changed. I moved out of MN three years ago, my mother still lives in the house I grew up in, three blocks from there. I know you used to be able to find a dealer for pretty much whatever you want on that corner. I could easily see that history playing into why PD was there so quickly.