Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally convinced the brass to get new holster and WMLs for the entire department. I just have to type it up and present it. I have to have 3 options of holsters. I went with
And the Serpa
The 6004
And Drop leg Serpa for the K9 team.
I have no idea what the Admin should rock.
Lights:
TLR 1 hl
X300
?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

· BOOSH
4,012 Posts
I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm a HUGE fan of the Serpa. Been rocking one for 9 of the last 11 years at 2 departments. I don't think any of the ones you've mentioned would be bad, though. Could you give the troops options?

· Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I too like the Serpa I'm rocking one right now. But the fact that the xhipos is the only light mount available is pushing me against it.
I'm not sure if options will be available unless out of pocket.

· Registered
2,223 Posts
I've finally convinced the brass to get new holster and WMLs for the entire department. I just have to type it up and present it. I have to have 3 options of holsters. I went with
And the Serpa
The 6004
And Drop leg Serpa for the K9 team.
I have no idea what the Admin should rock.
Lights:
TLR 1 hl
X300
?

Any opinions would be appreciated.
I have to ask, but how did that conversation go?

"Dad, could we all get new lights and holsters?" "Son you better remember that on the clock that's CHIEF to you." :rofl:

Reactions: Rezdawg

· Registered
794 Posts
Admin should use the concealable version of their duty holster. (if one exists).

I'm issued a Serpa for plainclothes and a safariland ALS for uniform. There is a "concealable" version of the ALS that I should be carrying since it is the same draw strike as our duty holster.

· Massive Member
27,270 Posts
Admin should use the concealable version of their duty holster. (if one exists).

I'm issued a Serpa for plainclothes and a safariland ALS for uniform. There is a "concealable" version of the ALS that I should be carrying since it is the same draw strike as our duty holster.
I went the opposite way, wanted retention for off duty, got the ALS, liked it so much I upgraded from 6280 to 6360 with ALS.

Randy

· NRA4EVR
12,850 Posts
6360/TLR-1HL

Why do the K-9 handlers need drop leg holsters? If they aren't wearing bulky SWAT vests that block a draw from a belt holster, they don't need drop leg holsters. They already have the dog; no need for further CDI factor.

· Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ateamer we are all wearing externals with molle. He has been wearing an uncle mikes slim 3 thigh holster for sometime. He claims he runs better with it. He pretty much gets what he wants, he's one of the brass. I have a feeling most are going to go with the 6280 or 6390 not wanting to have to learn another step in their draw, with a level holster.

· Registered
4,954 Posts
Do you do any advanced train at FLETC? The SERPA holsters are not allowed to be used there.

· Registered
874 Posts
6360. TLR-1HL, or X300Ultra if the money is there.

The Serpa is an instant no if you want a light, as the Xiphos light is a piece of ****, and it's the only light that fits the holster. Blackhawk makes the Epoch for other lights. A guy in my class at the academy used one, I want to try one but am just fine with my 6360.

· Registered
2,223 Posts
Paladin that made me ROFL. I submitted it this morning with the recommendation of 6280 6360 and 6390 for patrol at officers choice. And 6005 for the K9 with ALS paddle holster for Admin.
:) I meant well even though I really didn't help the topic at hand

· Farmer, House Sitter and Cook
8,267 Posts
I and several other guys I work with are very happy with the 6360/6365. I own three of them. I also own one 6280 for a 1911 w/light and I really don't like it. The gun wobbles in the holster but it still comes out "sticky" at times. I really miss the comforting click of the ALS. My draw is faster with the 6360/6365 vs the 6280.

The 170-lumen Surefire 300 is discontinued and it was replaced with the 500-lumen 300 Ultra, which I think is possibly a little too intense and has I believe a shorter battery life than the discontinued X300; plus some holsters made for an X300 are too snug with the larger diameter and longer X300 Ultra. The X300 Ultra has more spill so some of those extra lumens go to the flood areas. Great light but not without some issues not the least of which is cost.

TLR-1 lights I think are very good, and they carry an excellent Lifetime Warranty. I own three and I haven't been able to break one yet even though they all go to work with me.

· Registered
888 Posts
I carried a leg drop with ALS holster for almost 2 years and after the initial look cool factor wore off I absolutely hated it. It would get caught on the steering wheel and just get in the way all the time. However, the rest of the department had the Safariland 070 which was a pain in the ass to draw from when wearing my tac vest. I removed the top leg strap and tried to carry it as high as possible.

About a year ago I was offered the same ALS holster with the low ride universal belt loop. The holster sits low enough on my belt that I can wear my tac vest and draw with no problems. I will never wear a leg drop holster again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts