close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Generator Long-Term Storage

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by PPinesRon, Sep 13, 2017.

1. PPinesRon

PPinesRon

Have a Coleman Powermate portable generator with an 11-hp Tecumseh engine. I bought it new, but didn't get a chance to run it until this past storm. Ran great by the way.

I'm getting the generator ready for long-term storage. The manual says to drain the fuel and to place a teaspoon of oil where the plug is and pull to max compression. I did all this, but I have one question. There's a very small amount of fuel surrounding the fuel intake. It's like a small saucer around the fuel inlet, so there's maybe a teaspoon of fuel left. Do I let that fuel evaporate, or is there some trick someone could share?

Thanks in advance.

2. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

Could you soak it up with a paper towel?

PPinesRon likes this.

3. PPinesRon

PPinesRon

Tough to reach down, but I'll give it a try. Thanks.

4. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I would fill with fuel and the correct amount of Sta-bil so nothing dries out and it will be ready when you need it.

IMG_0449.JPG

5. fireguy129

fireguy129

storage?? Keep it fueled and running on a regular basis. Just seems better for it.

MSP Sarge, kwo, pipedreams and 3 others like this.
  6. PPinesRon

PPinesRon

That was my 1st thought, but it's been 12 years since the last storm. I have Sta-bil and it says it's only good for 1 year.

I tried the paper towel trick with one change. I used a pair of tongs that the Mrs. suggested after I told her of the 1st suggestion. Worked like a charm.

Thanks to all, especially Gonzoso.

cbetts1 and Ross-in-Pa like this.
  7. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Yeah. I can only speak of our Onan generator. It's recommended to run at least once a week for an hour at half a load just to prevent killing the carburetor. Not to mention just give it a bit of a workout.

I've been told the carburetors on the Generac's are better where you don't need to run it as much. But sadly they don't make commercial RV generators anymore.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  8. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Use marine Sta-bil, it's better at preventing ethanol phase separation .

pag23 likes this.
  9. powernoodle

powernoodle

As with everything, there is a cost/benefit for draining the generator, as well as for keeping it full of gas & Sta-bil. Gaskets and rubber tend to dry out with an empty generator, and you lose the storage capacity of an empty one. OTOH, if you keep it full, you need to run the gas out of it every several months to a year before the gas goes bad. With a 7 gallon capacity - or whatever you may have - that's a lot of running. I tend to lean toward the full storage approach, which keeps you ready for emergencies, but either way will work. I use high octane in my generators and mowers, though I don't know that helps with anything. But it makes me feel better. As stored gas approaches the end of its lifespan, I use it in my Suburban. I keep a piece of tape on the gas cans with the born-on date, and will rotate it out about every 6 months.

:dog::dog::dog:

10. Dr. Poontang

Dr. Poontang

This.

Put fuel stabilizer in it and run it with a load for one hour every 2 weeks.

This keeps moving parts lubricated and helps to keep engine seals from drying out. It is important to run during this excercise time with a load because it heats up the windings in the generator unit. This heat buildup and air movement from the fan will keep any moisture/condensation dried out that if left unchecked can cause rust or corrosion in the windings.

kwo likes this.
  11. selogic

selogic

I keep mine in the garage so rust isn't an issue . Gas tank about 1/3 full and run it for 20 minutes or so about once a month . A little shot of Sea-Foam in the gas for good measure . Going on 10 yrs with no issues .

12. Caver 60

Caver 60

First run it an hour or so, and then drain the oil. If it has an oil filter remove it also. Let the oil completely drain for several hours. Tilt the machine toward the drain hole. Then refill it with the recommended oil (and replace the oil filter if applicable) level the machine, and start it back up.

Run it for a few minutes and then shut off the fuel to the carburetor. Let it run until it the engine quits. Then pull the gas line and drain the gas tank into a suitable container. Don't worry about the ounce or two that doesn't drain out of the fuel tank. It will evaporate.

Then do the oil in the spark plug hole trick and put the generator in storage.

I had to use ours for two days earlier this year. It had been about 6 or 7 years since I last ran it. It started and ran great.

Another tip (if you can find it) get no ethanol gas to run it or any other small engine with.

ronj1, cbetts1 and briarpatch like this.
  13. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

I do pretty much the same except I run 92 octane gas with a 50/50 mixture of marine Stabil and Mercury Quickleen in the gas. I run this in all my small engines.....generator, mowers, chain saws, trimmer, power washer, snow blower, tiller, blower etc. I been doing this for probably 10-12 years and have never had and engine problem.

14. fireguy129

fireguy129

You must live a charmed life. No way would I expect it to be in running condition after sitting 12 years. I would have figured fuel lines would have been shot, carb gummed up etc.

Caver 60 and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  15. farnorthwintercamper

farnorthwintercamper

Av. gas .
    Will start several yrs. later.

cbetts1 likes this.
  16. First shot

First shot

Fuel it, Stabil it, and fire that mother up every month or so. That's what I do, and never had a problem in 20 years.

17. roger123

roger123

I run mine loaded for 30min every four months, no issues. I'll bet I could stretch that to 6-9 months with no issues.

I'm assuming it had no fuel (brand new) when you stored it for 12 years?

18. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Do what the manufacturer says. Don't overthink it.

Caver 60, Deltic and Gonzoso like this.
  19. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I bought a John Deere generator years ago when I lived in Miami.
    I have always used marine grade a Stabil. I've never drained the gas. I start and let it run for 10-15 minutes each month.

I have seen issues of dry gaskets and varnish when fuel is drained.

G30SF/F-250 and First shot like this.
  20. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I don't have a generator but I run non ethanol gas in everything small engine and it works and keeps very well.

I know running it once a week is ideal but how many will do that for three weeks and then 5 years later realize it's been 4 years since you ran it when life happened....

cbetts1 and Caver 60 like this.