close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Generational Differences Between Glock 10mms?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Postal Patron, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Postal Patron

Postal Patron

If I were interested in a Glock 20/29 and I considered buying a used one, how much more does a new one, latest generation offer more the oldest style?

Minus laser sight groove, thumb grooves, and finger grooves, does the latest generation offer more than an older Glock?

Do the new 10mms offer spring, support, slide, frame enhancements that the older Glock do not have?

2. saspic

saspic Howdy Y'all! CLM

It's pretty much a matter of taste. Some prefer the second generation GLOCKs. If it's a real new one, it might come with the Loaded Chamber Indicator extractor. Of course if you prefer that, you can always swap the older extractor for a new one (be sure to swap in the new style spring loaded bearing also).
    I've never heard of any differences in durability, etc. between frame generations.

3. noway

noway

I'm running a 1994 2.5 generation 10mm with no problems. My other is a 2nd gen frame and it's also a 1994 model.

No problems with frame and as far as that goes slides. It is a durable gun and the only that ever broke was the trigger return spring and that was by my improper teardown.

FWIW:I have modify both guns and have changed extractors and ejectors in the course of doing the mods but like I said it's a solid platform and other than the internet hypr of 10mm wearing a gun. It ain't going to happem ;)

4. MakeMineA10mm

MakeMineA10mm * * * * Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Glock makes incredibly small "adjustments" to dimensions and such, when they diagnose problems. These problems often occur in only one out of 100 pistols, or so, but they make the change anyway. In theory this makes a better pistol.

OTOH, I've noted, and I've seen others similarly comment, that the newer Glocks, since the factory was expanded, seem to have a lot more issues and reliability problems than the earlier ones. In theory this makes the older pistols better...

A good example of both of these issues is the E-Series frame recall.

Bottom line is that I think most Glocks are workhorses, regardless of what generation they are. Get one of the type you like, try it out for awhile, and if you have problems, get it properly diagnosed and fixed (either here or by Glock) or get rid of it, and get another one (because the next one will be very unlikely to have the same problem).

5. 40Magnum

40Magnum

Generation 2 frame fit my new Longslide really well and I love not having the finger grooves.

[​IMG]

6. Clarkbar

Clarkbar Tool of the Man

I like your longslide, O Brother Of The G20L!!!! How long have you had it, and what have your experiences been, so far?

[​IMG]

7. 40Magnum

40Magnum

Clark,

Thanks much. In all honesty, I just got it together after looking for a second gen frame for a few months. It has yet (oh, the sacrilege) to see a round down the tube. I had to wait until a lower could be identified and procured along with guiderod/springs, which are all in, to begin testing.

This weekend, all should be right with the new toy and rounds will fly :)

8. Clarkbar

Clarkbar Tool of the Man

First, further questions:
    - How long did you have the slide?
    - Am I correct guessing that you purchased it from Lone Wolf since it has a KKM barrel?
    - Did you purchase a complete Gen 2 pistol, or did you manage to score just a frame?
    - What ammo are you planning on wringing her out with?

Finally . . . we'll be waiting for the range report!

9. 40Magnum

40Magnum

Clark,

I did pick up the slide from Lone Wolf back in June this year, just before numbers started getting thin on inventory. I got lucky and picked up serial number 0020. It originally came with the 'obermeyer arms' logo, etc. on the slide, along with a small serial number on the right side. I like the solid color, so I had it refinished.

The second gen slide was purchased solo, no slide at all, from a nice guy named rbland here on the board. Rumor has it he sells them pretty frequently with univesal good results by all.

Regarding ammo, I'll be working almost exclusively with handloads. In the past, good results were had in my previous Glock 20s with 800x. First loads I'll use will be 10.2 to 10.8 max (working up) grains of 800x in back of a 180 Golden Saber, CCI Mag primers. I never had pressure signs before at 10.8 using a KKM but I'll take the safe route and start a half grain or so lower.

Range report to follow :) I already have the 45 LCI extractor in with a 22 pound spring. Should be a ton of fun.

Plus... The deer await the Dawson front sight to be added shortly :)

10. Clarkbar

Clarkbar Tool of the Man

Interesting. Mine did not come with any of that stuff on it. I guess that Bar-Sto cleans it all off. Did you leave the S/N intact, or no?

Once I get a dedicated Gen 3 lower for my upper, I plan on having Zipgraver add the appropriate Glock logos and information on the left side of the slide and the matching S/N from the frame marked on the slide and barrel.

Interesting. I've been using AA#9 under 180gr and 200gr Rainier TMJ/FP bullets, but I have found that the Rainiers aren't all that accurate. I've also been using Winchester Large Pistol primers.

Excellent.