close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Generation Kill"=BlackHawk Down in Iraq

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Fingolfin, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Fingolfin

Fingolfin Engorged Member

Very good book, the author is with an elite Marine division in Iraq during the whole invasion up to Baghdad. Gives a gritty account of modern war and the soldiers fighting it. If you liked BHD you'll love this.

2. GlockPI

GlockPI

Great Book.

"Corpses of the Iraqi attackers who fell in the road have been run over repeatedly by tracked vehicles. They are flattened with their entrails squished out. Marines in First Recon nickname one corpse Tomato Man, because from a distance he looks like a smashed crate of tomatoes in the road."

3. rappa29

rappa29 JAFO

Read it while on vacation. Mind you, I am NOT an avid reader. Can't even remember the last book I read that didn't have pictures on every page! ;g

Saw the book at the airport newsstand. Read the synopsis. Bought it. Read it in a week! Couldn't put it down because I had to know if they make it through safely or not. If you didn't already, makes you really really feel for the troops out there. I'm not talking about fighting the Iraqis, sleeping in the desert or getting shot at by snipers. I'm talking about dealing with the ineptitude of some of their superior officers (Captain America and others). In addition to supply line snafus which cause the platoons to be short on rations and supplies (like the idiot supply officer who forgot to bring extra batteries for everyone's night vision but was sure to bring his camcorder so he could make his documentary). After (and during) reading it, these things pissed me off more than the Iraqis!:steamed:

I could not imagine serving under or with some of the dips**** these guys had to serve with!

Excellent book if you want a 'fly on the walls' point of view of the action.