close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

gen4's on backorder..sold out or issue?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Eaz8, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Eaz8

Eaz8

hey guys,
    i was about to buy a glock 17 a few weeks ago and was told they are sold out, so i started looking at a few other Canadian online stores and the few local shops we have in Canada and they are all sold out and on backorder. one said its still another 2 months before they are in stock.
    so has glock just underestimated their demand in Canada or is there a issue that had the hold back and do a slight redesign?

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

On May3, 2012 Glock was globally backordered 500,000 pistols.

3. Eaz8

Eaz8

actually thats about when i started looking for one...so i guess i just hit the time when they got behind.
    so is there a quality control/design change that caused this, or just a great year for sales?

4. Glock Junkie

Glock Junkie

LGS here had a bunch if Gen 4 for $529

5. Eaz8

Eaz8

sorry im new..what is LGS?

$529? are you kidding me? they are $700+ here..man we get ripped off.

and for some reason used on the local forums they seem to go up in value once you put 500 rounds through it...:brickwall:
    people overvalue their USED guns here..im not paying over retail for a gun..

6. DannyR

On March 15th Glock was behind 322,000 pistols.

LGS = Local Gun Store.

In the USA a G17 sells from $398.20 (law enforcement price) to $599.00 (high retail price).

Canadian distributors or dealers must pay an import fee, which builds up the retail price.

7. Eaz8

Eaz8

thanks for the info.

ya i knew about the import fees, but i didnt think it was that high. theres 1 company here that does flat rate importing...so you pay for a unlimited amount of guns to be inported but i guess you have to buy the guns from the US company first. didnt read too much into it.

LEO get a discount on glocks here too, they get them for $600 with night sights. i have a few MIL/LEO friends but i dont want to bug them to buy then transfer to me just to save a few bucks..ide rather just pay the $ than bother a friend.

i guess ill just get on the waiting list and bang off rounds through my sigs in the meantime.

8. jph02

jph02

Welcome!

This makes me feel lucky I was able to walk into my LGS and buy a G22 Gen 4 on the spot.

9. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

Which LGS was that? That's $70 less than my LGS and I wouldn't mind a road trip to Tampa.

10. jack76590

jack76590

I was wondering about the exchange rates. The US dollar is worth a bit more than the Canadian dollar, but not much. So glocks are more in Canada.

What does a box of 9mm ammo cost in Canada?

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/

11. smitty704

smitty704

Glocks are plentiful in my city, gen 4 and gen 3. They are in every gun store you walk into. Also, you can get old police trade in's for next to nothing.

smitty

12. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Top Gun Supply seems to have Glocks in stock. But they out of stock on many other makes.

Where are you people getting these 322,000/500,000/whatever backordered figures from?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  13. DannyR

My figures come from a GLOCk Districk Sales Manager.

14. Bruce M

Bruce M

I heard the same number from someone who just went through the armorer's school so apparently of the things that Glock is secretive about the backorder is not one of them. My guess is that the stores that have alot of Glocks in stock are adept at ordering in advance and have a reasonable grasp at lead times and probably sufficient cash to place large orders and have alot of inventory. But that is just a guess.

15. jph02

jph02

I'll bet seeing their back rooms would make any normal person salivate like a hyperactive bulldog on PCP.

16. Raleigh Glocker

Raleigh Glocker

Glock showed off their 2 millionth unit at SHOT Show 1999. Ten years later, according to the 2009 Glock Annual, at the time there were only a total of 4 million Glocks ever produced. So, it took them 2.5 years to produce and sell 500,000 glocks in the last decade.

By contrast, in 2008, a total of 387,000 AR15s were produced by all manufacturers combined.

How on Earth could this backorder number be accurate? Even running 24/7/365 for a whole year, there is no way they could touch a backorder that big unless they had WAYYYYYY too much capacity to begin with.

Either there's been a game of "telephone" from when that figure was first calculated and you ended up hearing it, or no Glocks will be available to those who don't already have an order in for a long time. Plus, quality will drop like a stone no matter what they do if they basically triple their demand for raw materials and just churn these things out.

Judging by the availability of plenty of Glocks at LGSs around the country, I remain extremely skeptical.

17. emtjr928

emtjr928

We were given similar numbers in Smyrna at the armorers class last week. They are very exited to get the manufacturing expansion in Smyrna.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

18. Bruce M

Bruce M

Does anybody know when the US manufacturing capability went on line and how many pistols they can produce compared to the original facility? Also when the US factory came on line did Glock start to market to places/customers that and did this they could not have done before and did this increase orders?

Also estimated wait times that have been quoted recently for orders seem to suggest there is some merit in a substantial backlog.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  19. Rustin

Rustin

I am having a hard time believing the whole back order ordeal. It seems more to me like an excuse for them to screw up, either in QC, or availability to gun stores and not take the blame essentially. This is just my opinion mind you, but I have to refer back to the earlier post by Bruce. They are always so secretive about what's going on behind closed doors at Glock inc, but yet they are happy to tell you how far behind they are...

20. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Keep in mind that Ruger was also way behind to the extent that they simply stopped taking orders.....makes me think there is huge demand right now, something to do with the economy and politics I expect.

And Glocks are MUCH more popular.

If you don't believe Glock.....oh well.