Gen4

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by njl, Feb 20, 2010.

1. njl

njl Crusty Member

I'm curious if any GSSF shooters have bought Gen4 models yet (particularly the G17). Over in General Glocking, people are saying the new dual spring recoil assembly really softens the recoil compared to the older single spring setup. I wonder if any of you who put large numbers of rounds down range have tried them side by side and agree that there's a noticeable difference in recoil or muzzle flip with the new setup.

2. Jon_R

Jon_R

I bought a G17 Gen4 and shot it for the first time today. I am not sure about the recoil as I am not that good of a judge on recoil especially in a full size 9mm pistol. I shot it at my 3-Gun match and I was surprised how well I did since it was my first shot with it. In dry fire the trigger seemed heavy compared to my other 17s which have the 3.5 lb connector but in the match I didn't notice it at all. We had 7 plates, 2 poppers, and 11 USPSA paper. I shot it in the minimum shots possible and it was clean 26.9 seconds with about 20 yards of movement. I was very impressed with it.

3. jdwatson

jdwatson

I'm waiting for the Gen4 G23s to arrive. I've got a Gen3 G23 that I love, I think I would benefit from the changes in Gen4.

4. njl

njl Crusty Member

Which changes? I know there are minor changes to the frame (grip texture, grip "extensions" similar in effect to putting a bigger mainspring housing on a 1911, and subtle changes to interior dimensions of the frame around the trigger housing). None of those matter to me. I like the current G17 grip size, and with an agrip over it, the texture of the grip is largely irrelevant.

The only change I see as significant is the recoil assembly...and so the question is whether it makes a noticeable difference in shooting.

5. jdwatson

jdwatson

SF grip, larger mag release button, double spring.

6. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I shoot my G22 RTF right after I shoot my G22 Gen4 and I do notice the difference in recoil but not a whole lot different.

7. njl

njl Crusty Member

In the G17/G22 sized frame, is it an SF (smaller than Gen3) grip if you don't install any of the add-ons? Yeah, I forgot to mention the mag release...but that's not a big enough change to get me to buy a second G17.

8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The Gen4 frame with out any modular attachment is the same as a "SF" frame.

9. njl

njl Crusty Member

But they didn't previously make a 17SF that I know of...so how can a G17-Gen4 frame be the same as a 17SF? I thought the SFs only existed in the large frame guns (20/21, 29/30) so people like me with shorter fingers could get a good grip on a Glock .45 or 10mm.

I'm starting to think I should take my calipers to the gun shop and do some measuring. Has anyone posted measurements (especially where they differ and with the various different palm swell attachments) between Gen3 and Gen4 small frame Glocks?

10. Jon_R

Jon_R

The Gen 4 G17 with no back straps added is noticeably smaller grip then the G17 Gen 3. I have both and you can tell the difference when you pick it up. I have not added any back straps yet. I might since I have big hands add the large and see how it works for me.

I do find the mag release spring on the Gen 4 much stronger then the Gen 3 or Gen 2. That has its plus and minus but it is noticeable to me.

11. njl

njl Crusty Member

Interesting. I know someone who's probably going to be very interested in a G19-Gen4. Those aren't out yet, are they?

12. James Dean

James Dean

No not yet. I keep hearing they will be out by summer

13. mr glock-fl

mr glock-fl

In answer to your Real Question.

YES!!!!!

I have friends shoot my 3rd Gen G17 then the 4th Gen 17, all are suprised on the faster, flatter and softer recoil. It is just enough to feel but I and others can tell the difference.
    It kicks the brass out a little closer to you, watch out for Powder Puff loads, it needs some recoil. My standard practice loads, white box Winchester, some 147 (129 PF) loads for practice and my Atlanta Arms works well. but the softer loads only throw about a 2 foot from the gun. One of the other Pro's soft loads are 123 or so PF and they choked in the Gen 4. Not enough kick but the Gen 4 softens the recoil already.
    Out of 20 or so shooters only 3 did not see the real difference but they would only shoot the Gen 4 and not the Gen 3 to compare it .
    If you go back and forth with the two guns you will feel the difference.
    The brass will throw out almost half the distance. I am Sold on them, I can not wait for the G19's to come out.

Good Luck
    Mike:wavey:

14. njl

njl Crusty Member

My "soft" load is a 124gr at about 130pf...and it functions a gen3 G17 just fine. I put a mag or two of them through a gen4 G17 today with no problems...other than it shooting to the left. The standard rear sight is so wide, there's really not a lot of space for adjustment. I have to agree, there is a noticeable difference in the recoil...though maybe not so much a reduction as just different feel.

Has anything changed with dimensions for the front sight hole or rear sight dovetail? i.e. Most of my other Glocks have ML10226 meps on them...I assume a set of those should fit the Gen4.

15. njl

njl Crusty Member

I put a few more mags through my G17Gen4 today. Got the stock sights adjusted (well...I did have to replace the rear one as the original self-destructed when my MGW pusher pushed and the metal plate got stuck in the dovetail). To get POI to POA, the stock rear had to be pushed right to the point where I can just see the bottom of the rear sight starting to hang over the right edge of the dovetail. Don't know why all my Glocks seem to shoot left. I've shot other people's Glocks that were right on target for me with the rear sight centered.

I still don't know which I prefer between Gen3 and Gen4...but I like them both. Gen4 has night sights and an Agrip on the way and got a 3.5# connector last night. I thought I was out of Glock ones...but found I had one left.

16. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Oh yeah apparantly the new system is so good... it softens it soft much as to not even eject everytime...:rofl:

I've heard everything from... "Shoot +P+ like 200 times it'll work good eventually... maybe"

To "Wait for glock to solve it"

To "Mine works great!! Flawless"

To "Wowzers is shoots pretty soft and flat"

To "I instantly returned mine to the gun shop"

To "Better wait at least a year before buying a Gen4"

To "LOL I bought a Gen3"

So you decide... but I think is a sorry deal... I would not recommend to ANYONE who doesnt own a glock to start with a Gen4 G17... why?? Because I'd prefer them to not badmouth the pistols I love even though the dual system is not glock perfection out of the box... on the Gen4 g17

Forgot to add I personally shot one and well... it was flawless until I used 1 hand...strong or weak... then it was malfunction junction... so no sorry not for me because at IDPA I have to shoot weak/strong hand.

Don't get me wrong I still want one... just because...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  17. njl

njl Crusty Member

I haven't tried mine one handed yet...but two handed, it's been reliable shooting my 130pf reloads.

18. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Regarding the new Gen4 G17, please note the following minimum ammo velocities from a 2000 Armorer's Manual:

9mm, 115-gr, 1,180fps = PF of 135.7

9mm, 124-gr, 1,148fps = PF of 142.35

Now those are recommendations for Gen1, Gen2 and Gen3 9mm Glocks. The Gen4's operate beautifully at those power levels, and, after a few hundred rounds, function 100% with my 147-gr reloads at a PF of 132.20. The lowest rated domestic factory ammo I can find is Blazer Brass 115-gr, 1,125fps at a PF of 129.38 and I'm confident a Gen4 G17 will run on it.

19. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Thank you Danny!! ^^^^ I'm pretty sure I want a Gen4 just so I can also say "Mine is flawless" :patriot:

20. njl

njl Crusty Member

All my Gen3s and the new Gen4 will happily eat 124gr 100fps slower than the above number from the 17.