Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some folks have tried 3 different sets of springs for their G19....I believe the Gen3 19/23 share an 18# spring correct? If this is so, will this be the 1st time in Glock History both pistols don't share the same recoil spring? Does this mean Gen3 19/23 were based on 9mm recoil and Gen4 models of 19/23 were based on .40cal recoil?

I wonder if M&P or XD built their recoil assemblies based on the calibers rather than the platforms this we're not hearing the FTF/FTE stories abounding as much??? I did read that Sprinfield's approach to the XD series was to ensure reliability of the .40cal then reverse engineer (basically make 20% less recoil spring stiffness) to ensure reliability in their 9mm models... Makes u kinda wonder if Glock went this route this time around for Gen4 pistols??

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
It is the first time, I believe. It sucks for them because now dealers will have to order like 10 different type of springs. They will have to play the guessing game with how many of each to order.

·
Bustin Caps
6,927 Posts
I agree, recoil characteristics for 9mm and .40 are too different to be using the same recoil springs in both.

Just because it "works", doesn't mean it works *ideally*.

·
Banned
466 Posts
I agree, recoil characteristics for 9mm and .40 are too different to be using the same recoil springs in both.

Just because it "works", doesn't mean it works *ideally*.
Do you have the slightest clue how many G22,23, 27 are in field use today the share the exact same recoil springs as the G17,19,26. Just check the pressure rating for the 9 mm +p round and will will see the recoil spring is more than adequate for 10 mm short or the S&W .40.:wavey:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that the 03 G19 Gen4 spring was the same as the one for the G23 Gen4.

·
Bustin Caps
6,927 Posts
Do you have the slightest clue how many G22,23, 27 are in field use today the share the exact same recoil springs as the G17,19,26. Just check the pressure rating for the 9 mm +p round and will will see the recoil spring is more than adequate for 10 mm short or the S&W .40.:wavey:
The POINT would be, that the 9mm could function equally well (better) with a less stiff recoil spring?

Look at this link, and see what it says about LIGHTER strength recoil springs:
http://www.custom-glock.com/springtech.html

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Effects of a lighter spring:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Recoil is transferred to the shooter in a shorter duration of time because the slide is moving at a higher velocity. This is often perceived as less recoil and reduced muzzle flip.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]With a lighter spring the shooter also has less force to counteract, or you don’t have to work as hard. This usually reduces muzzle flip.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Less force to counteract reduces the odds of producing a limp wrist style jam.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]A lighter spring will result is reduced muzzle dip when the slide closes keeping sights steadier and on target for a faster follow-up shot.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Light springs are particularly helpful to smaller shooters like children, women or anyone else having trouble keeping their wrists locked.[/FONT]
The .40 has considerable more recoil than does the 9mm, and therefore needs the stronger spring. The 9mm can get by with a weaker spring, and actually aid in improved performance by the shooter.

While Dave Sevigny is a champion shooter, and leaves his trigger stock, I'm 95% certain he swaps out his recoil spring in his 9mms for something lighter. If I had saved the link where I saw that, I'd post it here.

With these facts being what they are, that leaves the question, why use the same spring in guns of different caliber with different recoil characteristics, etc?

·
Bustin Caps
6,927 Posts
Do you believe in the Easter Bunny also? :cool:
I'm a competitive shooter. That's all I do. I have read from several sources that people have held his gun, dry fired it, and was surprised at how "heavy" it is (ie, stock like). There are several GSSF Master class shooters who say they do the same thing. **NO** trigger mods. These guys are also top (master class) USPSA shooters. Lots of people run stock triggers, Bruce Barton is one of the top GSSF shooters and runs a stock trigger.

Me? No way, I have a 3 pound trigger and still can't keep up with those guys.

Now, I have heard that Dave doesn't run a stock GUN, for example, I'm 95% certain he runs a reduced power recoil spring for competitive reasons.

Do I think he runs a '-' connector or something? I do not.

This is all side tracking the OP's question, which is about recoil springs, not trigger jobs or trigger related modifications.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts