close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen4 Glock 20 Review With Video

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by plouffedaddy, Jun 17, 2012.

1. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

[​IMG]

Many devout fans of the 10mm love their Glock 20, myself included. So when I heard the Generation 4 version was released, I jumped at the chance to pick one up. I really like the Gen 4 grip on my other Glocks and I thought it would be especially helpful with the recoil of some hot 10mm rounds. Turns out I was right.

I ordered the gun the day it came out and had it in my paws the next day. I cleaned it, lubricated it to specs, turned the rear sight around (I don't like the Glock sight picture), and patiently waited for the weekend to put some rounds through the beast.

Pros:
    -Glock grip angle helps absorb the 10mm recoil (one man's opinion)
    -Cost: many other 10mm pistols sell for double what the G20 sells for
    -Accuracy: the gun is more accurate than I am
    -Positive ejection with both hot and weak loads
    -Easy to maintain
    -Gen 4 grip surface helps keep a firm grip on the gun, even when your hands are sweating
    -Low bore axis helps tame the recoil
    -Lots of aftermarket support (holsters, sights, ect....)
    -100% reliable so far

Cons:
    -new to the market so heavy recoil springs aren't yet available
    -the finish isn't the old glossy Glock finish of a few years ago so finish durability is unknown

Heres a video I did to show the firearm in action. I do some shooting, demonstrate the ejection pattern with hot ammo, a 15m group, table top review (with part numbers), and some chronograph testing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBIj5YwjFYg"]Gen 4 Glock 20: The 10mm Glock Delivers. - YouTube[/ame]

Chronograph data:

Temp--90 degrees with 80% humidity

Prvi 180gr JHP: 976fps, 381ft/lbs energy
    Underwood Ammo 165gr Gold Dot JHP: 1372fps, 689ft/lbs energy

2. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Thanks for the comprehensive review with a lot of solid info delivered so soon after the Gen4 G20 release. I'm sure it will be a great help to 10mm enthusiasts thinking about getting this new model.

Update: New home of the video above http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OM680dIT1UQ

For others who see this video and haven't seen the excellent photographs in your other Gen4 G20 thread at Glock Talk, I'll post this cross-referenced link to the photos, one of which confirms the trigger bar marking in the Gen4 G20 is 4256-1 which I'm sure is what you meant to say in the video (6:50): http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19089314#post19089314

The Gen4 G21 and Gen4 G20 share the same 0-7-2 RSA. B-T Guide Rods confirmed they have a new captured, dual recoil spring with steel guide rod for the Gen4 G21, although it's not on their website yet. It's my understanding the unit will accept stronger ISMI recoil springs. It probably works in the Gen4 G20 as well.

Great job on the review!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013

3. Quarter Tank

Quarter Tank

Very cool. What part of Atl are you from?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. jr240sx

jr240sx

nice review, thx for posting, the vid was great(+hd), enjoy your new toy, i can't wait to get one of these babies...

5. Tazz10m

Tazz10m Mod Aerator Moderator Millennium Member

6. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Thank you for the review! Looks like you had some fun out there with the new Glock.

7. Raven1967

Raven1967

8. Meathead9

Meathead9

I can't wait for them to hit the west coast! I just emailed Jager Products about making a guide rod for the GEN 4 G20/21. I have the polymer one for my GEN 4 G17 and it's awesome. He said they'd be in the next run, so you'll be able to run whatever ISMI spring you want. The GEN 3 RSA can handle some of the hottest stuff out there, includin Underwood, so I think the new RSA will run just fine.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  9. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

I agree the RSA seemed to handle the hot stuff fine but I like to tinker so I'll probably get at 20 or 22lb spring too just to see how it works out.

A question I've gotten in some PMs is "How's the chamber support?" Well, I didn't measure it but I did examine the brass of all the ammo I shot. No buldges/cracks to report. I realize 200 rounds is a small sample size but so far, so good.

10. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Nice, thanks for posting!

11. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

12. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Thanks for the detailed review. Your review is far better than another thread I saw elsewhere on g4 G20.

Note that some of the g3 G20 saw some separation of the plastic and the frame steel near the front steel rail lips. That's after at least near 1,000 rounds of hot ammo, and I think they were using stock springs (slide banged against frame?). Let us know whether this kind of thing happens with the stock RSA. Thanks.

13. NoJoy

NoJoy

Great review. Which of the changable backstraps should be used so that the gun feels like a 20SF in your hand?

14. Quarter Tank

Quarter Tank

The gen4 20 & 21 both are sf models without a blackstrap.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

15. seed

seed

I never heard about that! Do you have a thread about it you recommend for me to read?

16. Glock40man

Glock40man

Congrats!:cool: Thanks for the Gen 4 review.

17. larson1122

larson1122

Great video, Thanks! :thumbsup:

18. NCtrooper

NCtrooper

Great video! Love when people know how to make a simple informative video without a bunch of nonsense. I love my g20 but it's a gen 3 maybe I will get a gen 4 soon:). Is there anyway to make a g20 or 21 a long slide? Or is an extended barrel your only option? (I wish glock would make a g20/21L)

19. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1412309

I don't think it's a real concern, just the wear that you need to look for. The steel frame is what takes the recoil. The plastic is just the cover. All the guns continue to operate reliably well, otherwise, you'd hear plenty about this.

However, being a perfectionist, I'd recommend a heavy recoil spring set, like a 24lbs or that neighborhood, to protect the frame and let your arm take the brunt of the recoil (after all, I'd think most 10mm shooters would like to "feel" the 10mm power).

Some of us shoot 135gr bullets in the neighborhood of 1,600fps in a 6" barrel. For comparison purposes, the 7.62x39 rounds for AK-47 generally run 123gr bullets to 1,600 fps. So these 10mm reloads packed a lot of energy, but the bullets are not as aerodynamic as the AK's.

All I'm saying here, is that I'd go with the highest RSA (probably 24lbs) for all the G20 guns, regardless of generation... if you're to have hot loads.

20. GTS197

GTS197

Great review....thanks for posting!