close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen4 G21 Smaller than SF... Myth??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by greenlion, Jun 23, 2011.

1. greenlion

greenlion

I've read reviews by several new Gen4 GLOCK 21 owners who say that the Gen4 21 grip feels smaller to them than the Gen 3 G21's.

According to GLOCK's own info, the Gen4 G21 without backstrap should be the same as the Gen 3 SF models.

I'm wondering if it is simply the grip texture making it feel different, or if the grip angle has changed, or whether the grip is actually smaller.

Is there anyone here who owns both a gen4 and gen3 G21 who could take some measurements and confirm or debunk this??

Thanks if you can.

2. 9mmdude

9mmdude

I have a 21SF and a 21SF RTF2. The RTF2 feels much smaller in my hand. In reality, I doubt much if any difference exists.

3. Gallium

Gallium CLM

According to the Glock mag (unless my eyes decieve me) the 4th gen G21 and the G21RTF have the same grip dimensions.

4. Shasta McNasty

Shasta McNasty

my g19 gen3 rtf2 is definitely smaller in my hand than my standard gen3 g19 was. the finger grooves are not as pronounced and the overall circumference is slightly smaller.

5. greenlion

greenlion

The 9mm/.40/.357sig guns WILL be smaller than the Gen 3's. GLOCK's literature says that, and everyone who owns one knows there is quite a bit of difference.

According to the GLOCK literature, the 4th gen G21 should be the same size as the Gen3 if you leave the backstaps off.

However SEVERAL actual Gen 4 G21 owners say they feel SMALLER than Gen3 SF models.

Could anyone who owns both take some actual measurements so we aren't talking about opinions and conjecture?

6. Dogman 10x

Dogman 10x

Are the gen4-21's out?

7. GaryC

GaryC

They are in Blue Label boxes.

8. I_Hate_George_Lucas

I_Hate_George_Lucas

I want me a GLOCK 20Gen4....... NOW! I WANT IT NOW!

9. Meathead9

Meathead9

I have both. I dont believe the GEN 4 grip is actually smaller, it just feels that way. My guess is it's because of the grip texture. The Gen 3 SF has deeper texture in the finger grooves & on the backstrap. The GEN 4 is consistent 360* around the grip, so it may have actually shaved off 1mm or so. It's probably the equivalent of sanding down the texture between the finger grooves, and the backstrap texture. Both my GEN 3 SF's have Tru-Grips installed, so my measurements won't help.

10. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

I'd imagine the different texture makes the dimensions feel smaller in certain areas, and it's just a matter of perception. :dunno:

I've been wondering if they use the same trigger housing, if they do then the dimensions higher up on the grip can't be much different.

11. greenlion

greenlion

That's what I suspected too. I'm sure GLOCK would play it up if they had actually made the grip smaller.

12. Saberman

Saberman

I never liked the way the 21SF felt in my hand. I just got a G21 Gen 4 and it feel so nice in hand and shoots great. I have always been a 1911 guy but now I have a 27 and a 21 gen 4 , and I see what the fascination with Glock is all about. Great guns
    Now I nee a 22 G4 to go with the 27 and waiting for a 30 G4 to come out to go with my 21G4.

13. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

In the thread Grip dimensions 20sf
    post 38 reads:
    I am not endorsing this info, simply passing it on. :wavey:

14. Redstate

Redstate

15. Tank55

Tank55

I have a standard gen4 21 im with you it feels smaller but believe its the same with standard backstrap.

16. cablecutter

cablecutter

I held a Gen 4 G21 and the grip seemed really slippery and hard to wrap my hand around. I have a G20 and that is a brick and would love the G20 gen 4 but I would have to try it with a backstrap on it first cause with no backstrap it was too skinny and slippery to me. I have a G29sf and that fits like a glove!! I hope I can the G20 Gen 4 to feel like my G29sf

17. PAGunner

PAGunner

And you would know, because you only have about, what? 40 Glocks? :whistling:

18. PAGunner

PAGunner

I now WANT a Gen4 21 and my fingers aren't the longest (fat hands, but not long), I've never liked the standard 21 grip, the SF was an improvement, but I think the texture for me will make a difference.

Now I've heard the same thing about the Gen4 21 grip being smaller than the SF grip, I too think this is a myth, because of the better texture. In fact, I saw a youtube video that showed a side by side comparison review of the Gen4 21 side by side with a 21SF, and to me they both looked the same.

I'll try to find the video and add it to the thread.

19. PAGunner

PAGunner

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz_5Y_ETfdU"]Glock 21 Gen4 (.45acp) - YouTube[/ame]

pause at 49 seconds and you can see a direct comparison between the 21SF and the Gen4 21. To me, they both look the same, I see no difference, only in texture.