Gen4 G20, Olight PL-2 Valkyrie, hot loads and FTFs

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by OrangeDot, Jul 14, 2019.

1. OrangeDot

OrangeDot

Recently got an Olight PL-2 Valkyrie 1200 lumens for my gen-4 G20 setup for the outdoors. This G20 never had a FTF or any other issues the way it is setup (stormLake barrel + 17-lb stainless steel recoil assembly), neither with regular loads nor with hot loads. Although it has shot a lot less hot loads (BB UW, etc) over time then regular loads (Sellier and Bellot, Magtech, regular Sig, etc.).

Yesterday I decided to take it for a whirl with the newly bought PL-2 Valkyrie so I get used to the new weight up front and make sure no issues.

All the regular loads shot with no issues. Plus 1 box of UW X-penetrators 140 grain also shot without any issues whatsoever. But for some reason the Buffalo Boar HCFN (220 grain) and Underwood HCFN (both 200 and 220 grains) had massive FTF issues. Every about 2-4 rounds a next round would be stuck either 1/2 way in (or less or more then 1/2 way). Wished I took some pictures. I replaced the recoil assembly and the barrel with the stock ones, and nothing changed with above.

I also noticed that my PL-2 Valkyrie light had burn marks on top of it where it sits right under the muzzle. Please see attached photo.

The FTFs only happened with the HCFN rounds both from UW and BB, So my thinking now is:
    1. The light did not allow the hot loads to exhaust as quickly hence adding more pressure and making the slide move back more quickly then usual hence causing the FTF. I did not suspect this yesterday at the range (outdoor one) as my brain was little dehydrated :) .. otherwise I should have tried without the light on.
    2. The 20 rounds 140 grains UW X-penetrators although a hot load but had no issues might be explained by the lesser weight of the bullet hence causing less reaction backwards?? Not really sure though.
    3. Freak coincidence: something new changed with the gun aging (maybe my 17-lb springs are less then 17 lbs now and just happened to show up yesterday.)
    So i ordered a 22 lb spring after doing some research and heading to the range again hopefully next weekend assuming I receive the new spring by Friday. I will first try without the light and with the old setup.

If anyone had experienced burn marks on any of their lights as mine did please let me know. I did not think that is the norm but suspecting it was caused by the heavy/hot loads.

Thanks for your opinions and happy glocking. Will update again after my next range outing.

Attached Files:

2. L-2

L-2

My two Streamlight TLR/TLR-HL and two Surefire X300/X300U all have burn marks from using them with muzzles-shorter-than-the-lights Glocks (30SF, G17, G19, G23).

It's good you're vetting your Glock with the weapon-light and various ammo to see what works or doesn't work.

In olden-days, various folks, including me, found any specific G22Gen3 with various weaponlights might not be 100% reliable. It was recommended to ensure having a fresh/new RSA and the 11-coil (instead of 10-coil) mag springs were introduced.

AdamRodgers and OrangeDot like this.

3. Mike-M

Mike-M

If anything will fail to feed, heavy hard cast flat nose is the ultimate test. It's too bad you did not put the G20 back in the same condition it was in the last time it fired HCFN reliably, then tested it again, then brought your report to this forum.

Burned Powder deposits are normal on WMLs that protrude in front of the muzzle.

fasteddie565 and OrangeDot like this.
  4. orangeride

orangeride

It’s a slide speed issue. The added weight to the frame speeds up the slide. Hot loads are already pushing the limits on slide speed. Wolf mag springs can help. Often heavier rsa will make things worse. Try and lighten up your grip

OrangeDot likes this.
  5. Lil

Lil

That's a good recommendation. I've experimented with various loads/grips and learned I can cause a fail-to-feed with a white-knuckle choke hold on the G20 with hot loads. I loosen my grip just a tad and no feed problems. I believe the FTFeed is due to the slide moving too quickly, providing insufficient time for the round to be pushed-up from the mag onto the breech face. I've also read about people installing a second magazine spring to increase the feed speed, with good success, esp with nuclear + loads. I have zero experience with that. Instead I have a 44.;)

OrangeDot likes this.
  6. orangeride

orangeride

I learned this lesson, one day I was having tons of issue with my g20.4 ftfeed and hot loads, I brought a friend to the range who’s never shot before. He proceeds to shoot 350 rnds through my g20 without issue, which got me thinking about how tight I grip the gun, I shoot a g34 competitively so I’ve developed a very tight grip. I’ve since went to double g19 (9coil) mag springs which have solved all my problems no matter how tight I grip the gun, and it still locks back as it should. I run a tlr-1 on the pistol

OrangeDot likes this.
  7. OrangeDot

OrangeDot

So to follow up on this I finally had the chance to go back to the range after I had received my 22lb tungsten RSA.

Final results: The FTF issues mentioned above only went away when the Olight was removed off the gun. With that Olight on --sticking out beyond the barrel-- the FTF's kept happening at the same rate, whether with a 17lb or a 22lb RSA. So that Olight will be transferred to my G40 and never sit on my G20 again. Next range outing I will try it with the G40 where the Olight would not stick beyond the barrel.

rustytxrx likes this.
  8. rustytxrx

rustytxrx

Good info thanks. I have a G20 gen2, G40 gen4 and a G29. I and kitting out the g29 right now. Have a lone wolf 40 S&W barrel and a 4.5” lone wolf barrel 10mm. I got the Glock mag extension so,I can run the g20 16 magazine. I,got the LW 40 S&W barrel because I several thousand rounds of lead bullet I shot in IDPA i,would like to,shoot in G29. 4.5” inch barrel will turn G29 into G20 ballistics. Just have to,take one gun on hunting/business trips

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    OrangeDot likes this.
  9. rustytxrx

rustytxrx

I bought an adapter for g20 mag so it let me use it in g29 without gap

Attached Files:

10. rustytxrx

rustytxrx

Now like, you just got to get all proper springs etc to run the pistol. Also grading trigger. My work is cut out for me

I have 6” lone wolf barrels for both g20 and g40. I have a Glock 6” barrel for gen2. I use a hot 165gr bonded jhp for hunting Texas feral pig under 100#. I,am a old geezer and can no longer handle processing mature pigs. Hunt the pigs under a corn feeder at night. Legal in Texas

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019