close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

gen4 g17 mag question/issue

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by sentian, Feb 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. sentian

sentian

How much pressure do you guys use when inserting a tool to push the floorplate in? I've put enough pressure with an alan key with built in handle grip that i've worn off about half a millimeter of plastic from that knob. This is slightly alarming as i will need to clean my mags regularly during ipsc..

All videos shows guys using just two or three fingers to insert the glock armor's or similar tool, and all have been on gen3 mags.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

The newest mags are a big pain to disassemble. You just have to muscle them off. I'd say on the high end it may take 40lbs of pressure the first time. Every time after that it becomes easier as the plastic protrusions on the magazine tube start to wear down.

To be clear the object is to push the punch or allen key against the hole in the floorplate itself, not the knob on the inner floorplate that pushes through the hole.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGPqUqjeTSY"]Glock Magazine Disassembly (In HD) - YouTube[/ame]

Once you get the magazine apart, Glock followers have used two different methods over the years to attach to the spring. The early followers had a loop on the bottom that you'd have to pass the wire of the top spring coil through. The newest followers simply have two plastic ledges, you just pull the spring out of the follower until it pops out, and push the spring back into the bottom of the follower until it pops in.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

3. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

You don't need that much pressure to push the detent in, just enough to clear the hole. The bottom is what takes some effort to slide off especially if the mags are new.

4. Noponer

Noponer

The bottom will not be so hard to slide off if you push the insert completely down into the tube (as shown in the video above). If you do not do this, the insert will keep the sides of the tube from flexing inward & that will make the tabs on the tube really hang onto the bottom's notches.

I have made up a "U"-shaped tool out of 1/4" thick Lexan to slip over the mag just below the bottom. It has small bumps that press in the sides of the tube. Works great. There is a tool around for sale that does something similar.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  5. bentbiker

bentbiker

Sentian, you aren't using 10rd Clinton mags by any chance, are you? The above techniques don't work with them and with most, you can't push the tool in more than 1/4". The commercial tool that Noponer was referring to is: http://www.mygtul.com/video2.php . Note the video for the Clinton mags.

6. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

7. bentbiker

bentbiker

8. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

You are absolutely correct

9. sentian

sentian

thanks for the input, guys. They are glock oem mags too. I will try again tonight.

10. bentbiker

bentbiker

If you were responding to my question, the term "10rd Clinton mags" refers to mags artificially limited to 10rds by certain states (so you can only shoot 10 people before taking 1 1/2 seconds to reload); they are OEM Glock. I'm guessing you don't live in one of these lovely states, or you'd probably know the term only too well.

Again, those instructing everyone to shove their tool in all the way need to preface the post with the notation that your suggestion is not aimed at 10rd Clinton mag owners.

11. Noponer

Noponer

10 rounders? What 10 rounders? We don't have no 10 rounders? I don't have to show you no stinkin' 10 rounders! (From "Treasure of the Sierra Madre", modified appropriately.) :rofl:

I usually forget about the existence 10 rounders... & I try not to think about them when I do remember.:whistling:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  12. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Do you mean that shooting IPSC will involve dropping your mags onto the ground, so they'll need cleaning?

13. sentian

sentian

Ah ok, well my mags are, from what i can tell, single stack in design, if that helps. These are probably the only type of mags we can get in canada lol. So then the question remains, i take it my mags aren't supposed to be disassembled the way it shows on all the youtube videos? I'll do some research on clinton mags.

Well, yes, typically in my province almost half the matches are in wet or muddy conditions. I probably don't need to worry about it, but i don't want to be caught in the middle of a match with a few unusable mags.

14. bentbiker

bentbiker

I see from the RCMP website that you are limited to 10rds just like we are in California (can't use the abbreviation without confusing you). So, no, you probably can't push the insert in more than about 1/4".

For now, position the magazine with the witness holes away from you and the floor plate pointed upward. Depress the retentive pin on the insert about 1/4" and tilt the handle of your Glock tool away from you so that the tip can slip right in front of the retentive pin on the insert. In this position, the tool will still be tilted away from you. Simply pull the handle toward you and use the pin as a point of leverage to break the floor plate free. Once you have it off, if you put notches in your inserts as mentioned above,
    [​IMG]
    you don't have to worry about the tip of the tool slipping off the retentive pin as you lever the plate off. Pic courtesy of SCC.

Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012