close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen4 "Flat" VS "Gloss" finish

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GaryC, Dec 26, 2011.

1. GaryC

GaryC

G17 Gen4 RSV XXX (flat) VS G17 Gen4 SGT XXX (gloss)

I've seen threads and wanted to try to show the difference. The "new" glossier finish looks the same as the original finish on the Gen4 G17s with the non-recessed slides. Kinda looks like the inside of a a new Teflon frying pan :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  2. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

Nice, you can clearly see the difference. When was the test firing date of the glossy one?

3. Brad55102

Brad55102

Is one better than the other? Is one finish Harder than the other?

4. GaryC

GaryC

rsv xxx -> 05/18/11

sgt xxx -> 11/08/11

5. GaryC

GaryC

Sorry, I have no idea on hardness or durability. I don't carry either one so I can't tell you about holster wear.

6. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

7. kamonjj

kamonjj

Yeah I have the flat on my Gen4 26. At first I liked it alot. Now, after carrying for several month, its no where near as durable was the finish on other gen 3 glocks with the gloss finish. In fact I was just given a 23 that has the gen 3 gloss that I know has been around the block that looks brand new. Much like I would expect from the older finishes.

8. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

I did not like the flat finish. I am probably one of the most critical on the finishes that posts here on GT though but in all honesty I won't buy a flat finish Glock for as long as I live. All of mine are the standard finish which has held up very well over the years.

9. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Dump The Hump"

I would agree with the newer flat finish not being as durable. I have been carrying my newer 3rd gen 19 for about 9 months or so now and the finish is starting to show some wear. I have a early 3rd gen 23 that has the older shiny finish it after several years of carrying it it hardly shows any wear at all. I have noticed the newer 4th gen pistol I have seen lately seem to have a finish that is more shiny that the flat. I'm guessing after numerous complaints Glock has started to use the shiny finish again. I guess it just gives me a reason to finally have the work done to my slide and have it refinished. I just have to decide if I want EXO, or ION. Black or silver...decisions, decision:whistling: TXPO

10. Glock_en_speil

Glock_en_speil

It's REALLY great that Glock is once again offering a shiny finish however the BIG question that remains is will this new finish be as durable as the original? Most guns look great out of the box but it's how they hold up over time that separates a good finish from a great finish.

I remind you that Glock discontinued the original finish due to environmental concerns in other words the freakin' tree huggers got their way once again. :steamed: This new finish might look the same but the process that created it is obviously not. Hopefully, it will hold up but only time will tell.

11. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

You could send it off to be refinished. Just a thought.

12. xtremetj

xtremetj

I'm with Javelin on this one. Granted I'm fairly new to the Glock world, but I'm very picky about the finish on my guns. I don't like the new dull finish and wouldn't let myself buy one. I've been looking for a G29 lately and have passed on several new ones lately because they all had the flat finish. My dealer told me the only way to get one was to find someone with one that's been on the shelf for a while or go with a used one. So, I ended up buying a used one in new condition just so I would have the older finish.

13. Quentin

Quentin

My RDLxxx 23Gen4 has the flat finish and after six months I'm noticing more wear than usual and some scratches I don't remember causing (so it must scratch easier). My Jan 1997 CCSxxx G22 has a similar flat finish but has held up well except for all those years of holster wear. My 2004 GFAxxx G23 has the nice gloss black finish and very little wear at all.

I hope the new finish is tougher, like the Glocks of a few years ago.

14. GaryC

GaryC

I think the flat finish makes them look more menacing :smoking:

15. SIGlock

SIGlock Millennium Member

Finally.....Glock's quality is back.

The Glossy (teflon feel) is the way to go. All my Gen 3 are that way. There is no other way. Better protection for corrosion, scratch, etc. and easier to keep it clean.

16. SIGlock

SIGlock Millennium Member

I didn't notice your post. Yes, Glock quality is back.

17. 21Carrier

21Carrier Until I Gota 29

I have also heard that numerous times, but ONLY here in GlockTalk. I wonder if that's true.

18. Black&TAN

Black&TAN Senior Member

As stated elsewhere in this forum, the Tenifer process is no longer used, in favor of a more EPA friendly nitride. These treatments do however result in nearly identical hardness and durability.

According to Glock, the "finish" or topcoat referred to in this post (flat vs. gloss) is different in Gen4s due to nitride treatment, and difficulty in getting the old (and better looking IMO) finish to stick.

From what I can gather, current is a porus finish that is unfortunately more likely to wear faster than the non-porus finishing previously used. On the upside, since the nitride lies beneath the surface, regardless of finish, corrosion resistance should not be compromised.

sent via Tapatalk

19. washabra

washabra

Here is a picture of my two Glock 34 Gen3's that I posted a few months ago. You can definitely see the difference.
    [​IMG]

20. Glock_en_speil

Glock_en_speil

No need in my case, I am one of the very lucky ones with an early G17 Gen4 (test fired Feb 2010) with the original tenifer treated shiny finish. Yes, these do exist but they are rare. From my understanding it was only the first and second production runs of the Gen 4's that had them.

My only issue now is that I'm waiting for the new ejector to become available from one of the online parts vendors because I am NOT sending my pistol to Glock (not even on their dime which they offered and I politely declined) and have them screw something up or scratch something up. I will replace the new ejector myself once it becomes available through retailers.