close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen4 9mm Brass to Face.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cmb3366, Apr 14, 2012.

1. cmb3366

cmb3366

I bought my first Glock, a gen4 19 in December with the 30274 ejector and 043 RSA. Right out of the gate I had problems with nearly every brand of ammo I tried in it. Ejection was erratic, spitting brass to the left of the gun and in my face. I moved from 115gr WWB and Federals to 124gr Nato and even some toasty 124gr handloads with no change.

I figured it might be a break in issue, so I ran ~2000 rounds downrange with nothing changing.

Finally I'd had enough can called Lone Wolf and had one of their LCI extractors sent out. I got the extractor today, and the differences between it and my stock unit are stark; the Lone Wolf has a lot more hook to bite the extractor groove with.

Today I took it out and shot 100 rounds of mixed ammo, problem solved. Brass ejects to the right and lands in a reasonable pile, not all over the place.

Here's some pic's I took of my stock extractor compared to the Lone Wolf that replaced it.

Here's my stock extractor:

[​IMG]

And the Lone Wolf:

[​IMG]

Side by side:

[​IMG]

2. 4-Fun

4-Fun

That is a stark difference. In fact, your stock extractor appear to be "chipped".

3. cmb3366

cmb3366

That is what I'm thinking, but there is factory black finish on the part that appears 'chipped'

4. voyager4520

voyager4520

I've never seen a factory extractor like that. The number cast into it is in the same location as the old investment cast extractors. An extractor pulled out of a Gen4 should have the number cast into the round "leg" of the extractor.

The claw is all wrong, it should look like the Lone Wolf claw, either they changed the design or you got one out of a bad mold.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  5. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

Agreed. That stock extractor is all fouled up.

6. Bruce M

Bruce M

At least the other extractor is working well. Interesting photos.

7. AlexTheSquid

AlexTheSquid

I've been having the same issue as well... which comes as a surprise since I was praising the good word of "Gen 4" for the first 500 rounds of my pistol since I NEVER had any issues everyone keeps complaining of.

Then I went and bought some WWB and Federal and started getting pelted in the head! I brought it to the Glock Armorer at the shop/range, who put a mag through it and blamed it on the ammo. Thought that was good enough of a solution, since it was with the WWB that I was having every 5th round smack my head and 3 or 4 stovepipes.

So this time I go to the range with 200 rounds of Winchester 9mm NATO. Same thing happened again... every mag at least 1 round smacked my head and 2 or 3 more went over my head. I am a left-handed shooter with a thumbs-forward grip and weaver stance... so I am at a disadvantage a bit since the gun's erratic ejection is at my head even more than with a right-handed shooter.
    So at the end of the range trip - I hand the gun and 2 magazines to my friend, and let him shoot as I observe. The majority of the rounds went over his right shoulder, and some even over his head, though none hit his head (that I could see).

My extractor (from what I can see - I don't know how to remove it) looks like the old one you have in your pics. I am VERY tempted to order the Lone Wolf part you have, since I would rather not go weeks without my gun by sending it to Glock.

What part number was it? And I'm wondering if anyone else has been having much success with replaced parts... I've been reading many threads on it but there's too much talk about MIM/investment, .40/9mm, dipped/non-dipped, LCI/non-LCI... I officially lost my patience with this gun and sorting through all the arguing, I just want to get it working as it should!

8. glocktecher

glocktecher

glock should reimburse you for the cost.

9. Soonerbldr

Soonerbldr

My gen 4 g23 did the same thing through about the first 400 rounds. I also noticed that when the rounds were ejecting they were hitting the side of the booth and back on to me.

10. voyager4520

voyager4520

LWD-1895. I'd only use that extractor if you already have the 30274 ejector. Nearly every report I've heard of that extractor being used with the 336 ejector resulted in more erratic ejection than with the original extractor. Every report I've heard of the LWD extractor being used with the 30274 ejector resulted in good ejection.

Several people have reported that erratic ejection began after only a few hundred rounds. In DEADEYEGUY's case, he experienced good ejection with a new extractor and after a few hundred rounds it began ejecting erratically again, suggesting that the extractor wore down resulting in erratic ejection.

With my G27 I didn't notice it until after 200 rounds, I have no idea if it was ejecting erratically before that because I wasn't paying attention to it. A 28926 ejector and one of Glock's older investment cast extractors fixed it.

11. AlexTheSquid

AlexTheSquid

That's the one I ordered... I thought it was the one so I bought it last night. I detail stripped my slide tonight and looked at my extractor. While mine doesn't look like yours did... the "claw" on it looks pathetically small... makes me wonder if either I have a bad molding as well, or if my eyes are going bad haha

Since the problem started after break-in, I am assuming its these new molded parts. So an investment cast part better fix it - or I am putting the original back in and calling Glock. I was trying not to send it in, since it's my CCW, but if this doesn't do it, I guess I have to send it in.

My friend observed me shooting today... only shot 50 rounds of NATO today. But ALL my brass went over my head and in a pile under the bench behind the bay. One smacked me in the glasses again. So I pray this new part makes it work.

12. cfr

cfr

Lots of info on this topic. While I think its bogus to need to put after market parts in a new guy to avoid having to play "dodge the hot casing", this doesnt sound bad. Ive been considering a Gen 4 19, and little tid bit of info is encouraging.

Thanks!

13. D.S.Brown

D.S.Brown Millennium Member

I've had the 30274 ejector and the 043 RSA in all of my Glocks for months, and the ejection has been strongly positive to the 4:00 position for quite some time. For the first 400 rounds out of each of my guns below is when I experienced a few malfunctions, (FTE), and erratic ejection. All of the latter occurrences happened whenever I used any Winchester White Box ammo, or mostly when I used Federal Champion. No erratic ejection or malfunctions whenever I'd use my preferred brand of ammo, Speer Lawman. Weight of the rounds didn't matter, though I prefer 147's out of my 9mm's.

Best,

Dave

14. AlexTheSquid

AlexTheSquid

Dave,
    I was thinking the same thing as you... that the ammo was to blame. Especially since I went 450 rounds with no issues at all before it started smacking me in the head. And coincidentally it was with WWB when it started doing it. But after 500 more rounds in the past weekend alone (I was getting furious about stopping the issue) of Winchester NATO, it still persisted. In fact it got worse in a sense, sending all my brass over my head/shoulder with some hitting me in the head after trying to polish down the extractor as described in this forum. But... I got hit in the head less.

I already ranted off on Radian in another post regarding it - since many people think brass coming back at your face isn't a concern. In reality - if I had to save my own life with it, yes I will still shoot it. And that is why I still carry it. But I refuse to own a gun that I cannot take to the range without dodging brass. I don't have that issue with any other 9mm I own, or any other gun for that matter. Including M16s at work, which for a lefty I'd expect some brass coming at me. But even THAT gives me less brass to the face than my Glock.

15. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

The stock extractor could have been chipped by the tactic of loading the chamber by dropping the cartridge into the chamber and then slamming the slide closed over it. It is always best to load the chamber from the magazine.

16. cfr

cfr

:wow:

Agreed. In the age of many good choices for polymer pistols, I'm not sure why folks find this this is acceptable. I'm still a good 4 weeks out from being able to take the plunge, so I am weighing my options carefully. I really like Glocks, but simply not that much.

Anyways, not sure if you saw this above or not, but maybe Voyagers's idea can help you out.

Good luck....

17. DaninTexas

DaninTexas

Friday bought my first Glock. It is a Gen 4 19. Took it to the range and put 200 rounds down range. 50 115 grain WWB and 150 rounds of 115 gr Sellier & Bellot. I had a single round of the latter ding me in the fore head.

Test fire of the gun was 4/6/12 - so it is brand new and has all the supposed "good" parts. I just hope I don't have a problem here. I will try not to worry about a single round to the head - but reading these forums has me a bit concerned now.

18. cfr

cfr

Voyager, do you know if the latest ejector/ LWD extractor is also curing the 23's?

19. voyager4520

voyager4520

The latest ejector for .40, marked 28926, is curing the ejection problem in .40 Glocks. Like the 9mm Glocks, they may also need a replacement extractor.

My Gen3 G27 had the ejection problem. My Gen3 G23 ejects fine. I put the extractor from my G23 into my G27 and it didn't make any difference. I later found a non-LCI extractor to use as a replacement for the "MIM" extractor that my G27 came with, it didn't make any difference in ejection but I kept it installed because I don't trust the "MIM" extractor. I then installed the 28926 ejector, and it fixed the ejection problem.

I have not heard from a single person who's used the LWD .40 extractor in a .40 Glock. When LoneWolf released their extractors, they had the 9mm and .40 versions mixed up with each other. People who saw the ejection fixed in their 9mm Glocks were unknowingly using a .40 extractor. I ordered one of these extractors when they were mixed up and received the 9mm version instead of .40. I tried it in my G27 and ejection was all over the place, then I discovered that LoneWolf had the extractors mixed up. LoneWolf has since corrected the labeling error, but since then the .40 extractor has been backordered so no one has had a chance to try the .40 version in a .40 Glock.

maddy345 had a few threads about the ejection problems he had with his Gen4 G23, he got the new ejector and a new extractor and it fixed the problem.
    http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370626
    (You'll notice he said he tried the LWD extractor and ejection was worse. Like myself, he ordered one when the extractors were still mixed up, and he was unknowingly using the LWD 9mm extractor.)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  20. cfr

cfr