close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen4 19 - I GIVE UP!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by FyreCalG17, Aug 30, 2011.

1. FyreCalG17

FyreCalG17 Gen4 Fondler

Ok, I know I'll get flamed by everyone with whom I've defended the Gen4 19's, but enough is enough.

A little history.....

I have a Gen4 17 and a Gen4 26 with about 2000 rounds collectively between the two. There has been no fte's, ftf's, or brass to the face. These two have lived up to the "Glock Perfection" slogan and passed with flying colors.

I have argued many times with those on here complaining about the Gen4's not performing as they should. I've even accused a few of not actually owning a Gen4 and just playing into the gun forum hype.

With such good luck with Gen4's, I decided to add to my 9mm collection and purchase a Gen4 19. BIG MISTAKE. Bought the gun new, test fire date 6-11-2011, 0-4-2 spring.

First 200 rounds were perfect. Got home and quickly posted a range report extolling the virtues of Gen4's and smugly disputing all those who said otherwise. Then the trouble started. Next 150 - 200 rounds were filled with brass to the face ejections to the extent that a hot brass actually got caught on top of my safety glasses and burned the heck out of my temple.

Started searching the forum for solutions and ran across JBarbaresi's solution. Well, instead of following suit, I decided to straighten my ejector slightly and gave it a try. 100+ rounds with some erratic ejections but NO BRASS TO THE FACE.

Took the gun out today with the intent to fire approx 200 rounds to confirm my solution. Well, into the second magazine, the brass to the face ejections returned. And when I say return, I mean RETURN! They were hitting me hard in the face. One hot brass hit me so hard that it put a pit in my safety glasses. Hmmm.... its time to quit.

Got home, put in an oem ejector, went back to the range and proceded to fire 50 - 60 face ejecting rounds. Getting hit with hot brass is not fun, so I went home, pulled out my Dremmel tool and filed the ejector down to the specs of JBarbaresi's solution and went back to the range. (my range gives you a wrist band that's good all day, so you can come and go as you please)

As you can guess from the title of my posting, this solution did not work. My Gen4 throws about every 3rd round to my face and I just can't take it anymore. I'm tired and fed up with this effing pistol and I'm fed up with brass in my face. Got an oem Glock ejector coming in the mail and when it gets here the Gen4 19 is FOR SALE!

In the meantime, a guy next to me had a XD9 5" tactical model and seeing my frustration, offered to let me try his gun out. SWEET! I've heard bad things about XD's on this forum, but I can tell you for a fact that it was a sweet shooting gun. Loved the trigger, loved the grip angle, loved the weight of the gun. As soon as I got home I jumped on Buds Police Supply website and ordered one.

So forgive me Glockaholics, but that Gen4 19 is the last Glock I will ever buy. I have two, so I guess they'll have to do.

Now let the flaming begin.....

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  2. B_Real45

B_Real45

3. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Just don't buy any more of those crap Gen 4s, and shy away from the later Gen 3s, and you'll be golden.

4. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo

Interesting...

Well, I like my Gen 3's.
    S2

5. TcRoc

TcRoc Phillies Fan !!

That sucks,, my gen4 19 has been flawless,, sorry for your troubles

6. reloader550

reloader550

No flames here I have no intention of ever buying a gen4 glock.I will stick with the gen3s all the way, proven to work all the time period.I recently bought a mp 9mm rang kit and let me tell you this gun shoots!My mp9 will shoot tighter groups in my hands than my glocks,the mp started out with problems but smith&wesson seems to have worked all the bugs out of the design. I to have herd good things about the xd series guns but I have never had a chance to shoot one.Enjoy the xd and stay safe............shooter ready/stand by.

7. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

I will wait for the gen 5

8. FyreCalG17

FyreCalG17 Gen4 Fondler

I thought about the M&P9 but the XD felt good in my hand so I went with it. Pistol Training dot com did a torture test on the M&P9 and it had a lot less failures than the Glock 17 that he is currently testing.

Two out of three is a fairly good ratio for good guns, but that 1 bad one has tainted my rose-colored picture of Glocks.

9. .556

You didn't try the new RSA or a different extractor? After 3 failed attempts of trying to diagnose the problem as the ejector, one would think that you would try something different.

There has been multiple reports that some of the new Gen4 and Gen3 extractors have been out of spec and replacing them with a LWD extractor has cured the ejection problems.

10. misfit356tsw

misfit356tsw

I remember when you were flaming people for the same thing. With that said, I'm sorry for your issues.:dunno:

11. RobG

RobG

Yea...it IS frustrating as hell. I guess I got lucky with my Gen4 19 with the two changes I made, it's been flawless and no eratic ejections with 1000 rounds of varied 115gr target ammo as well as some Golden Saber 124gr.SD ammo.

If reprofiling the ejector didn't work, maybe a LWD extractor and/or a GM single ss 15# rsa will fix it? :dunno: It fixed mine...

BTW, I'm still "fine tuning" my new Gen4 26, but it's getting there. Just a couple casings over my left shoulder with Gold Dot 124gr +P ammo...the cheap Monarch Brass 115gr. ammo ejected fine....I added a GM ss rsa with the reprofiled ejector. No casings to the face...:wavey:

12. G21FAN

G21FAN Useless loser Millennium Member

Are you gonna stick with the Gen4 17 and 26 you have?

Sorry about your troubles, hate seeing glock keep pushing their Gen4s while there are serious problems with them.

I am a Gen II G17 fan and am thinking of another XD. The XD-357 Tactical model. I have used and carried the .45 and 9mm Tactical models on duty and off and reccomend them highly!

13. tech859

tech859 ALE-8-ONE

Sorry to hear, bud.

I've purchased 7 Glock 9mm models, one being a gen4 19 since April, 2010. 0 issues from any of them, as Glock pistols usually are. Some had the slick finish, some had the gray finish...but they shot just the same. No failures or cases to the face.

I don't know what the resolution will be or when it may come, but I would recommend shooting the daylights out of your other gen4 guns until then. Companies make mistakes and put out bad products. It has happened to every company in the industry, and when they see the bottom line being negatively affected, they square it away.

14. R.T.

R.T.

That's why they have a warranty. Have you contacted Glock? I am not going to defend Glock as they are obviously having some issues with the Gen 4. However, my personal experience (starting with a Gen 1, G-17 in the 80's which I still have) with Glock is they will stand behind their products.

http://www.teamglock.com/documents/GLOCK Warranty.pdf

15. 09crue

09crue

very discouraging,stop aggravating yourself and get rid of it or,call Glock and let them know about the brass to the face problem and make them fix it..too many Glock owners on here trying to fix this problem themselves rather then having Glock fix..unacceptable IMO.why some find this ok to buy a new $500.00 Glock then have to change out springs,extractors,ejectors,file the ejector,bend it for the gun to work right is unacceptable IMO..

16. FyreCalG17

FyreCalG17 Gen4 Fondler

I shouldn't have to replace parts that should have worked correctly in the first place. Yes, I foolishly tried to fix the problem myself, but the fact is the guys at Glock should not have shipped mine or the many other malfunctioning Gen4 19's before they were free of defects.

And everyone keeps saying get the LWD extractor...... its been sold out for months with none on the horizon anytime soon.

Yes, Misfit, I have gotten burned by the very flames I was shooting out. Seems like my flame thrower malfunctioned and burned the heck out of me too.

17. Facejackets

Facejackets

How much you gonna let it go for? Can you pm me with a price?

18. FyreCalG17

FyreCalG17 Gen4 Fondler

Hell yeah! They work fine!

19. FyreCalG17

FyreCalG17 Gen4 Fondler

You know, I've been so pissed off at my pistol that I never thought about calling Glock. From what I've read, they never fix the brass to the face problem. Everyone says that they send the gun in and it comes back still ejecting to the face. The only problems they fix is when the gun stove pipes or fails to feed.
    I might give them an EAR FULL tomorrow morning.

20. FyreCalG17

FyreCalG17 Gen4 Fondler

Amen brother, Amen!