Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been doing a lot of researching about the Glock 19 since I’m definitely thinking about getting one. Through that I’ve found that the Gen 4 has been discontinue. But I’ve also found that it appears the Gen 3 is still one of if not the most popular generation Glock. I’ve only shot the Gen 5 and shoot it well for it being the only Glock 19 I’ve ever shot. I don’t know a ton about Glocks other than what I’ve read in reviews and forums. I did see a Glock 19M yesterday in a local gun shop as well as a very nice Gen 3 for $499. So is the 19M worth the extra $$$. So what is the allure about the Gen 3 over other generations of the 19. Thank you.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Sorry, mine is an older 3rd Gen, with the old frying pan finish (FPF). “KFN” prefix, I am right handed and it just works well for me.
I won a Gen 5 G-19 in a sweepstakes, and it’s nice too, but the older Gen 3 works well for me.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
There are arguments both ways but it is generally thought that the only reason the Gen 3 is still being produced is that it is the only Glock on the California roster. I much prefer Gen 5.

The “M” gun was a predictor to the Gen 5. It was a contract gun built to meet FBI specifications that had some good features. It evolved into the Gen 5.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
None that I can see as far as having anymore allure, unless it's a Gen 3 from the days of old. Tennifer treatment process, FPF, no MIM, etc. You do not get that on newer Gen 3.
Otherwise, it's no more special than a Gen 4 or Gen 5. You also only get 2 mags instead of 3 with a Gen 3, which is also something to consider.

As for the 19M, I would just get a Gen 5 19 if I could find one. The frame is beveled to match the slide bullnose and there is no dumb grip cut.

But one way or another, I would have chosen the Gen 3 over the 19M, mostly because I do not like or care for the M model.

·
1,306 Posts
My Gen 3 Glock 19 has the better trigger of any Glock I have ever used/handled. Plus its quite accurate. As far as the difference in prices go that's really an individual thing. Some people have to have the latest generation only used by "operators" while others go with personal preference and what works.

·
MacGyver
8,263 Posts
What's important to you? Personal preferences will run the gamut, both lovers and haters of every gen. You get a discount in buying a older gen vs. the latest and greatest, and the slight improvements in mechanics is very small if only subjective. Ultimately they shoot the same bullet, and how well depends on the shooter. If you can't shoot a gen3 well, you will not do better with a gen5.

My reliable EDC is my 1995 g2 slide on a g3 frame-- simply because it has been consistent since 1995. Yes I own g4 and g5 too.

If a gen3 is the same price to you as a gen5 (and you are only going to buy one), then I would get a gen5.

If you think you need more than one because you will be wearing one out....hahahah, funny.

·
Stepping down to the gin palace
9,309 Posts
Gen 3 is what was available when I bought my first 19. It worked great. I shot it a lot, and carried it a lot and got very familiar with it. When I decided I needed a second 19, I went to what I knew worked well for me: another Gen 3. I am not a guy that is always looking over the fence to see if there is greener grass if my lawn is already green.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
What's important to you? Personal preferences will run the gamut, both lovers and haters of every gen. You get a discount in buying a older gen vs. the latest and greatest, and the slight improvements in mechanics is very small if only subjective. Ultimately they shoot the same bullet, and how well depends on the shooter. If you can't shoot a gen3 well, you will not do better with a gen5.

My reliable EDC is my 1995 g2 slide on a g3 frame-- simply because it has been consistent since 1995. Yes I own g4 and g5 too.

If a gen3 is the same price to you as a gen5 (and you are only going to buy one), then I would get a gen5.

If you think you need more than one because you will be wearing one out....hahahah, funny.
I’ve only shoot the Gen5 and I shoot it well. Better than my M&P’s I have the 1.0 FS 9 2.0 compact 9 and 1.0 Shield 9.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I’ve been doing a lot of researching about the Glock 19 since I’m definitely thinking about getting one. Through that I’ve found that the Gen 4 has been discontinue. But I’ve also found that it appears the Gen 3 is still one of if not the most popular generation Glock. I’ve only shot the Gen 5 and shoot it well for it being the only Glock 19 I’ve ever shot.

I don’t know a ton about Glocks other than what I’ve read in reviews and forums. I did see a Glock 19M yesterday in a local gun shop as well as a very nice Gen 3 for $499. So is the 19M worth the extra $$$. So what is the allure about the Gen 3 over other generations of the 19. Thank you.
Okay, NU9MM, I'll tell you the secret to buying a really great third generation Glock Model 19—Which is the only type of Glock pistol that I, personally, am willing to own. (Ready?)

First of all, third generation Glock pistols are the most thoroughly field-tested and battle proven of ALL the Glocks. Second, the SECRET to buying a great third generation Model 19 is to find a used one with a serial number prefix between 'C' and 'L'. (There might be a few decent 'M' pistols out there.)

The MIM extractors that Glock GmbH/Inc. used on later Model 19's—the infamous 'BTF' Glocks—absolutely suck! The third gen. Model 19 that I bought cost me hundreds of extra dollars before I finally got it straightened out; and, even today, I'd only rate it at being 98-99% trouble-free.

The problem is that it's a G19(RTF2) gun, and I really like it; so I tolerate the rare ejected cartridge to the face (BTF) that sometimes comes out of this gun!

Reactions: NU9MM

·
Registered
355 Posts
I understand that. I would like to know why the Gen 3 is still so popular. I’m trying to make an educated decision on a Glock 19.
I see you want to know "WHY" the Gen 3 is highly prized over some others. I can tell you at least one reason, if I don't remember some other reasons I found while I researched the exact same issue several years ago. And know this: Since the U.S. Navy Seals started carrying the G19 as an alternative to the Sig P226, it's because rigorous testing was done for purposes of seeing how Glocks hold up in combat in water and sandy places. The Gen 3 Glocks have a single recoil spring, rather than a double spring assembly. The double is and was more likely to get sand caught up in it, affecting it's functionaity. The single recoil spring did not. The U.S. Navy Seals specifically requisition only Gen 3 Glocks. I own 6 different Glocks. All are Gen 3 except for one, which is a Gen 4 Glock 34.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I’ve been doing a lot of researching about the Glock 19 since I’m definitely thinking about getting one. Through that I’ve found that the Gen 4 has been discontinue. But I’ve also found that it appears the Gen 3 is still one of if not the most popular generation Glock. I’ve only shot the Gen 5 and shoot it well for it being the only Glock 19 I’ve ever shot. I don’t know a ton about Glocks other than what I’ve read in reviews and forums. I did see a Glock 19M yesterday in a local gun shop as well as a very nice Gen 3 for $499. So is the 19M worth the extra $$$. So what is the allure about the Gen 3 over other generations of the 19. Thank you.
The Glock 19 Gen 3 is Glock Perfection and its my EDC. I would like a Glock 19M just to say I have the same pistol as the FBI uses.

Reactions: Quade
1 - 20 of 44 Posts