Gen3 vs. Gen4 G30

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by paisa777, Feb 23, 2013.

1. paisa777

paisa777

I think I'm finally ready to purchase my second Glock which I've decided will be a G30. Aside from the obvious differences between the two Gens, is there anything that should sway me one way or the other? Is one a bit more reliable? Does one tend to be more accurate? Or can I basically get whichever one I find first? I just know I've read so much about how great the Gen3 is.

2. ColdBlooded

ColdBlooded

The only significant differences between the Gen 4 and Gen 3, in regards to the G30 is the texture/backstrap system, magazine release, and the three magazines included with the Gen 4 vs the 2 with the Gen 3.

Recoil system is the same and both new productions will have the same finish on the slide.

The main advantage of the Gen 3 is that the G30S (SF and narrow/lighter weight slide) is available.

I would say that if a G30S Gen 4 was available, it would be a no brainer. Right now you have to decide between the G30 SF/Non-SF, G30S (which is a SF I believe), and G30 Gen 4. I chose the Gen 4 due to the texture and magazine release. Just figure out which of the features is important to you.

3. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

There is a very slight increased probability of failure to return to battery (FTRTB) issues in a Gen3 G30SF over the Gen3 G30 standard frame or Gen4 G30. That's based on owner-reported problems in the earlier G30SF models with 4256-1 trigger bar. We had no such problems with the two Gen3 G30SF pistols in our household. Both performed reliably from the beginning for us.

There is no evidence (yet) that either Gen3 or Gen4 G30 is more accurate than the other, both are superb in this category. In his book, "The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery", Mas Ayoob writes the G30 "may be the most accurate pistol that Glock makes."

The grip texture of the Gen4 is a marked improvement in my view. We are upgrading from Gen3 G30SF to Gen4 G30 because it's easier to hold securely when wet and easier to control when shooting higher-energy ammo in our converted pistols (45 Super, 460 Rowland and 10mm Auto). I also really appreciate the enlarged mag release which I can reach more easily with my thumb without altering my grip.

The G30S is not an option for us because; 1) the frame is Gen3 G30SF lacking the improvements noted above, and 2) we require support for the caliber conversions we own and they are not supported by the G30S (the G30 and G30S barrels are not interchangeable).

The G30 is an exceptionally versatile pistol and you will not be disappointed in the performance. There is much more info at the link in my signature line below that you may find useful.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  4. thesilverbullet

thesilverbullet

price and availability should be your deciding factor...

for the same price i would go with G4 but i can see going G3 for a $$ discount...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  5. silversport

silversport

I went with the G30 Gen4 for the reasons stated above...

...I had really thought I would get the G30S (having lusted after reports of the G30 "Recon" for years) but have been satisfied with my G21 Gen4 (preferring it over previously tried or owned G21, G21 Gen 3, G21 SF)...having no G30S to try, I compared the G30 SF, G36 (to view the slide in comparison to the G30) and a G30 Gen4...

[​IMG]

Bill

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  6. Bruce M

Bruce M

My decision would depend on which grip was better for me and then which was less expensive.

7. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

Personally, my ideal gun comes out of box with the back strap contour that I like molded right into the frame. I really don’t like to have to mess with replaceable back straps if I can avoid it. Paying for extra adapters I don’t need also is a waste of money for junk that will sit in the bottom of a parts drawer or get lost. The 30SF fits me fine, and the other Gen 4 changes don't really make a difference to me.

vba likes this.
  8. James Dean

James Dean

Gen 4 The grip and the large mag release :thumbsup:

9. colbucky

colbucky

Love my Gen 4 Glock 30, no malfunctions after approx. 1,000 rounds and very accurate.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Great thread. I brought it up from the past, because I'm starting to dream for a Glock 30gen4 possibly for my next purchase.

Only have G26 and G17gen4 so far :)

11. bac1023

bac1023

I so used to the gen 3. If I ever bought one of the G30 models, it would be the G30S.

12. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I carry IWB against my skin in the summer months. I'm thinking the GEN 4 might be abrasive against the skin? I remember carrying my HK USPc, that used to really chafe my skin. Replaced that with a G30. Then again, my G30 is old school, GEN 2.5. :supergrin:

13. Larry V

Larry V

I love my Gen 4 30. I carry and HK 45c most of the time but the 30 is every bit as accurate

14. VoodooSan

VoodooSan

I have a G30SF 3rd Gen and I prefer it over the 4th Gen only because I like the grip of the 3rd Gen better for my hands. So for me its just about a grip difference. I dont own the 30SF 4th Gen but I might get one eventually. I love the G30 platform.

15. silversport

silversport

interesting to see my older post about the Gen4 G30 that I have since sold in favor of the G30S...

I do miss the superior feeling Gen4 grip and the slightly milder recoil of the thicker slide and barrel but the lighter weight and feel of the G30S for me more than makes up for it...

I really dig my G30S...

[​IMG]

Bill

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  16. jamesfry

jamesfry sinethomas

Gen 4 grip is a lot better than the Gen 3 and the mag release is easier to use. Other than that no real difference at all. I know a few guys who like the grip so much that they would pay more, and the Gen 4 is more money, depending on usage/condition. Can't lose with either.

17. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Perhaps a dumb question, but is the 30s as strong as the other versions of the 30 in terms of loading with hot .45ACP rounds?

You know, the stuff from Buffalo Bore, and other hot loads making the .45ACP into a 10mm :)

Vin45 likes this.
  18. DakotaGlockGuy

DakotaGlockGuy Polymer Artist

Remember to take into consideration that the Gen 3 G30 only comes with 2 mags, where the Gen 4 will have 3 mags. That should negate about $30 of price the difference between the two.

The first Glock I ever purchased was a Gen 3 G30 and it was great. I sold that gun a while back and picked up a Gen 4 G30 and the magic is still there!

Most will like the way the Gen 4 grip feels over the Gen 3, but neither of my guns grip were left in stock condition so that wasn't a factor for me.

Here's what my Gen 4 G30 looks like now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  19. HGxyz

HGxyz

Wow, the shortage of nine round G30 mags must really be acute. All these pictures showing the G30 and all with the 10 round mags. I don't think Glocks are ugly, but the G30 with a 10 round mag comes pretty close.

20. HGxyz

HGxyz

Yes, as proof the G29 (10 mm) is the same frame as the G30. In fact, the 10mm Glocks came before the 45acps, which were adapted from them.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014