Gen-M Modular Series

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by uofaengr, Nov 8, 2019.

1. uofaengr

uofaengr

As seen in many threads here about which Gen is "best" and so forth, what one Glock owner thinks is the perfect Glock is the next guy's most hated Glock. By now, most people have found some combination of features they can tolerate the most with Gens 3, 4, and 5 (must like 9mm tho) all available to the public currently.

It's hard for me to think that Glock will sustain producing all of these models, and if I had to say today what would eventually go away, it'd be Gen 4's, assuming that other calibers will make their way to Gen 5+ and since Gen 3 is needed for California. I'm personally a Gen 4 person, and I'll hate to see them go whenever that is.

Whenever Glock is forced to think about releasing a new "Gen", why not consider a new modular line with a serialized chassis and a variety of frames in all sizes with combinations of different features...finger grooves, no grooves, undercuts, different stipple patterns, hump, no hump, etc. There could be a dozen frames to choose from in each size. After all, most people's gripes are the ergonomics first then usually the trigger. Glock can charge $100 a pop, and people can get the ergonomic configuration they want without going aftermarket or ruining their original frame. Base the frames and chassis off of Gen 4 design so that more than just 9mm can be accommodated. Glock would still produce the other Gens if one doesn't desire a modular package.

I can't see them doing this though as they'd likely make less money not doing incremental releases that adds one little feature at a time while taking something away that will be re-added at a future date. Although their new approach could and would likely be initially releasing one or two frames, then every Shot Show you get one new frame for that year which a bunch of people will like and a bunch will hate and will have to wait till next year kinda like they do now.

Who would be interested in this series for something different?

AdamRodgers likes this.
  2. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Thats what the military contract wanted and glock declined to make them. Buy a sig instead

3. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

4. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I can see it now....a big box of different Glock frames right next to the big box of different holsters that you buy, tried and didn't like that much but can't part with....

5. Glock 17L

Glock 17L Glock 24 & 26

S&W started with the model 10

If there's one dollar left in the gun business Gaston will be there to grab it.

Waiting on the Model 60

AdamRodgers likes this.
  6. Bradd D

Bradd D

In the grand scheme of things, the kind of modularity you are talking about just isn't a big deal.

7. Judgemax

Judgemax

Those modular chassis are much more complicated than Glock internals. Aftermarket frames are already available. If I felt the need, it would be very easy to just put Glock’s internals in those frames. They are not much more than $100.

For example, Zev just announced their O. Z-9 which is a modular system that takes Glock parts!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  8. Cojo

Cojo

As seen with the sig and the problems, why would GLOCK do that? Furthermore, why a gen4 guy? Just a question and not judging. If all the models in Gen4 currently were to be made in the Gen5 would you change to a Gen5? The features and upgraded barrel alone make it a better offering. THere is no need to have the Gen4 if they can expand the calibers in Gen5.

9. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

delete.

10. uofaengr

uofaengr

I don't know if I'd actually ever really want a modular Glock because I have enough to last me a lifetime, but it was a thought that came when I saw James Reeves of TFB talk about it recently plus all the which Gen is best threads. If people would have enough interest if Glock did something like that. I don't keep up with Sig to know what problems they have except the drop thing.

Why I like Gen 4...am lefty but don't want an ambi slide release, the finger grooves work for me, and I don't want a magwell. I can adapt like anyone else to a Gen 5 but I'll likely never have to. I do like with all mine being Gen 4 (minus 43) the parts being common also. I've acquired the backup Glocks I want to this point where I'm pretty much done buying unless it's another backup.