Glock Talk banner

Gen 5 vs "M" Guns

31103 Views 50 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  mmcbeat
Is there any difference between the gen 5 guns sold to the public and the "M" pistols sold to the FBI?
Thanks, Sam
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
I've only had a few brass to face issues with my gen 5, but that was with cheap Winchester steel case and white box stuff. Everything else I've shot, including cheap federal brass has had pretty good ejection so far. I have the 30274 ejector in mine.

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Looks the old ejector is a non issue, I'll call Glock CS Monday and ask why the change.

· Banned
16,936 Posts
I wonder if the M has a heavier guide rod and Spring, considering, they couldn't handle the 10mm, then went .40 and then 9mm. I guess the next iteration will the Glock 42 M.

· Registered
520 Posts
Yah SCHP and Indianapolis PD are issued them. The M and Gen5 have some minor differences in parts and markings. Other than that they are identical. I believe it’s 5 differences to comply with contract restrictions. Look at my post on the first page. Has photos and descriptions of the differences. Seems that only FBI Agents can purchase thier duty weapons and keep them upon retirement. Many PDs use standard Glock night sights on the M series duty pistols vs Ameriglo GL 5517s.

1. Markings (Slide and Barrel Hood)
2. Sights
3. nDLC trigger
4. nDLC connector
5. Extended magazine catch standard, Extended Slide Stop Lever optional.

· Registered
134 Posts
Sights: Ameriglo GL 5517(model number was changed was previously GL-846)vs Bold, OEM plastic or standard Glock night sights, some police departments opted for standard Glock night sights on their M series issued pistols.
Trigger Bar/ Connector is nDLC coated vs plain steel on Gen5, connector is a nDLC coated dot connector, nDLC coated trigger is marked 33588.
Markings: Slide marked M, Barrel marked M or 5M on hood.
Extended Ambidextrous slide stop lever PN 33797 (19M) and extended .075 magazine catch PN 8794 standard option on both.
There are both Austrian and USA variants of both.
M pistols can be found in Black, BFG and Tan.
New Gen5 pistols have a beveled nose to match slide. Have not seen any M pistols with this change.
All other parts are identical to Gen5 pistols.

· Banned
6,834 Posts
I'm confused! I have an Australia made 19M, the barrel does not have a M on it, top line says 9X19 (30) 5, bottom line says Glock AT and the slide says 19M ?
Australia? Reading a post after it's made offers opportunity to EDIT such statements. :)

The circle contains 3D, not 30.

The AT indicates the barrel was made in Austria.

· Registered
134 Posts
Fr
Thanks for the info.
From Lipsey’s :
Rob,

No difference in the Austria vs US made models. The parts are all the same. The 19M designation was a precursor to the Gen 5 moniker. The FBI put out a solicitiaion for a new duty gun with certain specs. Glock built a gun to that spec and when the FBI adopted it they call it the 19M and 17M. Glock decided to market guns with those spec and decided to call them Gen 5’s. The M series we sold were extra guns they had available. There were some small differences between the M’s and Gen 5’s. The ambi slide release were extended on the M guns, they had a rounded mag catch, and a U notch rear sight. There were 1900 19M’s released to the commercial market.

Thanks,

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.