GEN 5 Trigger group compatible with Gen 2 or Gen 3?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by dfwglock, Jun 25, 2018.

1. dfwglock

dfwglock

Back story: Purchased used Gen 5 g19. Previous owner had already swapped out the OEM trigger group and connector for an APEX (102-111) but had given me the OEM stuff. Have put about 1000 rounds through it since with the APEX and LOVE the way it feels.

I have several (a bunch) of Gen2's and Gen3's (19's and 17's) that have stock triggers. Does anyone know if the Gen 5 trigger and dot connector are backward compatible? Have a couple of Gen 2 g19's that I might swap it into if the GEN 5 OEM will work.

I saw MikeM's post on connectors and infer from that the dot connector is likely backward compatible. So my question is more about the trigger and trigger bar. (And, I really have no interest in swapping back out the new GEN 5 APEX for the old GEN 5 OEM. And yes, I have read all of the pertinent posts on same.) Besides, I spoke to the APEX gunsmiths who confirmed that they have no evidence that the APEX triggers are compatible with GEN 2's. And their site confirms that this particular APEX trigger is NOT compatible with GEN3 or GEN4. so using the APEX in one of my other guns is not doable.

Thanks for any insights....and please be kind. :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  2. GP4L

GP4L

As far as I've seen, the connectors are backwards compatible (I have a gen 4 G34 "-" in my gen 5 G19), but that's about it. I don't have any gen 2's to look at, but I looked at my gen 3 for ya, and it's a no-go. The main differences between gen 3 and 5 - The trigger shoe is thinner on the gen 5, to accommodate the ambi slide-stop. The trigger bar is completely different between the two (how it interfaces with the trigger spring). And the trigger housings have different dimensions - the gen 3 housing will not fit in the gen 5 frame (not sure about vice versa).

A quick look at Brownells (obviously you should shop around for the "best" prices) -
    https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...rs/trigger-w-trigger-bar-gen5-prod114487.aspx
    https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...rigger-housing-w-ejector-gen5-prod114485.aspx

That's probably like $30 shipped - then just add a connector. I'd recommend an actual Glock "-" connector, or the original gen 5 connector. You can find Glock "-" connectors on ebay, usually around $20. I'd suggest buying a few from different sellers, as some are selling knock-offs (they won't feel great with both - trigger feel, and "extra" drag on the slide when you rack it). Then just return what you aren't going to use.

Note: I've only encountered a couple crappy "-" knock-offs. Most of the purchases I've experienced were good to go.

dfwglock and Toni77 like this.

3. dfwglock

dfwglock

GP4L...thank you for all of that info! It is very helpful. I think I will redeploy the Gen5 dot connector into one of my Gen2's. The Gen5 Glock trigger assembly may have be relegated to the "parts" box for now. Thanks again.

GP4L likes this.
  4. GordyNismo

GordyNismo

I run a (-) connector, Apex trigger shoe and OEM Gen5 trigger bar (not modified Apex trigger bar) in my G19 and G26 Gen5s. They run flawless and not too heavy but also not too light. The OEM Gen5 trigger bar made a huge difference as it is specifically designed to work with the Gen5 safety plunger.

5. dfwglock

dfwglock

So you swapped out the stock dot connector and the stock Glock trigger shoe for minus connector and Apex trigger shoe? Understand the connector swap, but why the trigger shoe swap?

6. Creedmoor fan

Creedmoor fan

I wonder if you could use a Gen 5 trigger housing, Gen 5 trigger bar and a Gen 3 trigger shoe in a Gen 3 Gun?

I kind of like the separate trigger spring bit and improved ejector in the Gen 5 trigger housing and it seems like the Gen 5 trigger bar might be enough to get everything working together.

The only thing that kind of worries me is the Gen 5 vertical extension with a Gen 3 safety plunger. I think I might need a Gen 5 slide plate but that is minor.

I'm not afraid to experiment, I just don't want to buy parts if there is some show stopper I'm missing.