Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done a search and got minimal results. I bought a G45 about a year ago. Trigger was butter out of the box. I compared 3 guns at the counter and picked the best one. Gun is bone stock minus HD sights. Put 1000 rounds through it. Runs flawless. Trigger has become worse since break in. I've cleaned it, lubes it with oil and JP armite grease. Just did the 25 cent trigger job. Trigger feels ok until it approaches then wall then there is a distinct notchy creep that wasn't there when it was new. Thoughts? Please help. I love this gun but WTF is going on with the trigger. My Gen 3 guns didnt do this.

UPDATE

I put new Glock trigger bar in the gun which solved the issue.

·
19,490 Posts
I've done a search and got minimal results. I bought a G45 about a year ago. Trigger was butter out of the box. I compared 3 guns at the counter and picked the best one. Gun is bone stock minus HD sights. Put 1000 rounds through it. Runs flawless. Trigger has become worse since break in. I've cleaned it, lubes it with oil and JP armite grease. Just did the 25 cent trigger job. Trigger feels ok until it approaches then wall then there is a distinct notchy creep that wasn't there when it was new. Thoughts? Please help. I love this gun but WTF is going on with the trigger. My Gen 3 guns didn't do this.
Ignore how the trigger feels "wrong" to you. Focus solely on hitting the target and building up the speed of aquiring the target. If you do that, the trigger won't bother you.

·
Boatswain's Mate
262 Posts
My buddy had a similar issue. Johnny glock addressed this in a video with the trigger being gritty. If I remember correctly gunk gets in the channel liner and the trigger has a gritty feel. He had about 1k rounds in his when it did that. Not sure what issues you’re having but worth a try.
Is there a special tool that you need to remove/install the channel liner?

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
OP, do not remove the channel liner unless you have a replacement in hand. Taking the old one out will destroy it. I know EXACTLY what you mean about some Gen 5 triggers getting worse over time. I think sometimes this can be funky stuff in the slide (ie channel liner, cup, or just needs cleaning even). Other times I think this newfangled compression trigger spring an it’s denta-stick quality plastic guide take on a mind of their own.

Take everything apart and look for any unusual wear and galling. Also, as Borg mentions, look at results on paper. Yesterday I took out two Glock 48’s. One has a trigger that I consider perfection. The other has a horrendous wall at the end. Yesterday, for whatever reason, I shot the garbage trigger better!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OP, do not remove the channel liner unless you have a replacement in hand. Taking the old one out will destroy it. I know EXACTLY what you mean about some Gen 5 triggers getting worse over time. I think sometimes this can be funky stuff in the slide (ie channel liner, cup, or just needs cleaning even). Other times I think this newfangled compression trigger spring an it’s denta-stick quality plastic guide take on a mind of their own.

Take everything apart and look for any unusual wear and galling. Also, as Borg mentions, look at results on paper. Yesterday I took out two Glock 48’s. One has a trigger that I consider perfection. The other has a horrendous wall at the end. Yesterday, for whatever reason, I shot the garbage trigger better!
Thanks. Did a detail strip on it yesterday but I didnt touch the sticker channel or the trigger return spring. I'll look at those areas.

Doss anyone have a suggestion on striker cups? Stock or maritime?

·
Boatswain's Mate
262 Posts
https://www.glockstore.com/Dual-Purpose-Channel-Liner-Tool

I turned a small brass punch into a channel liner tool about 30 years ago
IIRC I had to use a bolt + washer & nut to pull the old liner out
Thank you for that post and the link. I have had several Glocks over the years, in fact still have Glocks that I have owned for years, but I've never had anything like that happen to the feel of my trigger. Good to know this info though, in case I do experience this myself.

·
Registered
843 Posts
When you pull the trigger on a Glock, you are also pulling back the firing pin.

The firing pin has plastic cups on the end which retain the firing pin spring.

Those plastic cups ride inside of the plastic channel liner and are a major source of friction and feel of the trigger.

I polish the inside of the liner with anything I can find. A Q tip chucked into a drill with some Flitz plastic polish works ok. You have to get creative. Leave channel installed.

Then work on the cups. I use a buffer to polish and sculpt the cups. I like to round off the leading edge - a little.
2000 grit/wet works well to make the seams of the 2 cups flush.

I also polish the outside of the firing pin spring as it can rub a little when compressed in the channel.

This work improves the feel of the trigger up to the wall. The mating of the connector/trigger bar and cruciform/firing pin lug can be felt at the final stage.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
My G44 .22 did this.

Great 4.9 pound trigger out of the box, 6 pound grit after 700 rounds.

.22 is dirty, I read on my last can of Gun Scrubber "Synthetic Safe Firearm Cleaner". I did a full detail strip and cleaning including slide and firing pin channel.

My G44 is back to a clean 4.9 pound pull again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry I wasn’t too clear. You don’t need to remove it. Just clean it with the liner inside. You will find grit in there. It brought his trigger back to normal. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I had something similar to what you are describing but it was on a gen3. It turns out there was a small, very small, amount of gunk in the channel where the firing pin safety went. I just took the slide apart and used a
q-tip to clean out the channel and wiped down the firing pin safety. The trigger was normal again after that. The gritty feeling was gone.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I'll be checking the trigger return spring later and possibly doing new striker channel and cups.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts