Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is the cure for the short throat in Gen 5 9mm.
Glock says barrel is fine, have no replacement barrels as of today.
Have 2 17-5 and 2 19x and 1 19-5.
1 each 17 and one each 19x and the 19-5 won’t come close to chambering, “plunk check” ammo the others will.
None of my Gen 3 or 4 have ever had this problem.
Before we head down any rabbit holes I have 40 years of hand loading experience.
Not happy about this and sure not happy with Glock.
I do not feel it unreasonable to expect several barrels from one manufacturer to accept the same ammo.
Especially 2 of the same model and generation.
This must be part of the marksman barrel “upgrade” which I see as just not throating to save a step.
Glock needs to worry about a lot more than the barrel for accuracy, like do something with “crush the June bug” trigger.
Have an HK that will shoot circles around any Glock, any time!
As well a shelf full of 1911s that’ll send a Glock away from any accuracy contest.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have any issues.

I recall it was more pronounced with longer rounds and 147 grain ammo.

This was addressed by Glock after the early production runs.
[/ bottom line when a factory 115 JHP WITH cannelure won’t chamber without some force in one Glock but it will in all 8 others something ain’t right.
Agree they fixed later production, due to my newest 17-5 has no issues. Glock, as of yet hasn’t cured my other Gen 5s. But I ve decided to give them one more shot

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
So what is the cure for the short throat in Gen 5 9mm.
Glock says barrel is fine, have no replacement barrels as of today.
Have 2 17-5 and 2 19x and 1 19-5.
1 each 17 and one each 19x and the 19-5 won’t come close to chambering, “plunk check” ammo the others will.
None of my Gen 3 or 4 have ever had this problem.
Before we head down any rabbit holes I have 40 years of hand loading experience.
Not happy about this and sure not happy with Glock.
I do not feel it unreasonable to expect several barrels from one manufacturer to accept the same ammo.
Especially 2 of the same model and generation.
This must be part of the marksman barrel “upgrade” which I see as just not throating to save a step.
Glock needs to worry about a lot more than the barrel for accuracy, like do something with “crush the June bug” trigger.
Have an HK that will shoot circles around any Glock, any time!
As well a shelf full of 1911s that’ll send a Glock away from any accuracy contest.
I doubt the freebore thing has any thing to do with cost. The newer hammerforging machines forge the rifling, throat, and chamber all at once around a carbide mandrel , that way everything is exactly reproduced from one barrel to the next no reamers that wear out and have to be recut .
I feel its more likley the guy doing the chamber drawings on the computer got to agressive in trying to squeeze more potential accuracy from it.

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
bottom line when a factory 115 JHP WITH cannelure won’t chamber without some force in one Glock but it will in all 8 others something ain’t right.
Agree they fixed later production, due to my newest 17-5 has no issues. Glock, as of yet hasn’t cured my other Gen 5s. But I ve decided to give them one more shot
Not all ammo is the same. You may need to experiment and look around to find some that they work well with that are shorter in length.

Personally speaking, I would just get rid of them before going through the trouble.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My main complaint is that any ammo that will test in any Glock barrel should test good in any Glock barrel, especially those of guns of the same model and generation!
Need no hand loading explanations of things like bullet profile effecting acceptable OAL.
Been doing this since puberty and I’m 54!

·
On the Border
15,396 Posts
All my Glock stuff is gen3, but I Ebay'd a gen5 barrel last year to use in a G17 build, because I couldn't find OE barrels in stock anywhere. It was tight as something I probably can't say on here now, with an LWD slide and OE frame.

All kinds of extraction drama, and no one will ream these things because they're so damn hard. My approach was to polish the crap out of the chamber with a felt drum soaked in Blue Magic in a rotary tool. I did this 3 or 4 times over maybe 2k rounds in conjunction with break-in cleanings.

It worked fine, but this barrel is still the most restrictive one I own - way more so than any of my Tanfo's. Whatever. I would carry the gun now, but it was an almighty ***** to break in.

I crimp my 9 to 0.376, have shot about 500k of my hand loads from Glocks and Tanfo's over the last 12 years with no problems of this kind whatsoever until this barrel.

As to the "marksman" jive, precision is not really about tightening the chamber. Although that does seem to work very well in terms of radically increasing malf's.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My main complaint is that any ammo that will test in any Glock barrel should test good in any Glock barrel, especially those of guns of the same model and generation!
Need no hand loading explanations of things like bullet profile effecting acceptable OAL.
Been doing this since puberty and I’m 54!
Well, considering that manufacturer's tooling wears out over time and gets replaced, it is well known that there are specifications for parts that are expressed as a "range", not a single specific measurement.
For example, Ruger Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks are known to have variation in the diameter of the throats as well as a constriction where the barrel screws into the frame. Knowledgeable shooters know this, gunsmiths know this.
Marlin .444 rifles can have a bore measurement from .429" to .433", and there are many more examples.
What doesn't work in your Gen 5 might be ok in my Gen 3, or not- different tooling from different years.
Get an aftermarket barrel like so many people do, or sell the thing and go back to the HK forum.
But coming on here and telling us all what an all-knowing reloader you are does nothing to attract people to help you.
After all, you're the one with a broken gun looking for help, not us.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
All my Glock stuff is gen3, but I Ebay'd a gen5 barrel last year to use in a G17 build, because I couldn't find OE barrels in stock anywhere. It was tight as something I probably can't say on here now, with an LWD slide and OE frame.

All kinds of extraction drama, and no one will ream these things because they're so damn hard. My approach was to polish the crap out of the chamber with a felt drum soaked in Blue Magic in a rotary tool. I did this 3 or 4 times over maybe 2k rounds in conjunction with break-in cleanings.

It worked fine, but this barrel is still the most restrictive one I own - way more so than any of my Tanfo's. Whatever. I would carry the gun now, but it was an almighty * to break in.

I crimp my 9 to 0.376, have shot about 500k of my hand loads from Glocks and Tanfo's over the last 12 years with no problems of this kind whatsoever until this barrel.

As to the "marksman" jive, precision is not really about tightening the chamber. Although that does seem to work very well in terms of radically increasing malf's.
Interesting ive have not heard of that kind of problems with a gen5 barrel some ammuntion not chambering yup but nothing like you are discribing.
Granted i dont shoot my gen5 much but its got about 2k through it and only thing i had to do was change from trunncated bullets to round nose style and adjust my oal.
Me personaly ebay always worries me.
I never even would have thought that there would be enough profit to go through the trouble of making nock off spark plugs but they do make nock off spark plugs blows my mind.

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
That might have been because a Gen 3 G17 and a Gen 5 G17 have two different lockups and don't work.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, considering that manufacturer's tooling wears out over time and gets replaced, it is well known that there are specifications for parts that are expressed as a "range", not a single specific measurement.
For example, Ruger Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks are known to have variation in the diameter of the throats as well as a constriction where the barrel screws into the frame. Knowledgeable shooters know this, gunsmiths know this.
Marlin .444 rifles can have a bore measurement from .429" to .433", and there are many more examples.
What doesn't work in your Gen 5 might be ok in my Gen 3, or not- different tooling from different years.
Get an aftermarket barrel like so many people do, or sell the thing and go back to the HK forum.
But coming on here and telling us all what an all-knowing reloader you are does nothing to attract people to help you.
After all, you're the one with a broken gun looking for help, not us.
no it isn’t broke, just very inconsistent throat dimensions across a total of 10 examples (2 being my brothers) of “Glock perfection”
I began buying and shooting Glock strictly from a shoot anything you feed them and a reliability stand point which I obtained from experience with Gen 3 & 4 guns.
Now, between my brother and I there are 3 19x and 2 17-5 that one of each will not chamber the exact same ammo the others will, safely.
This seems to be an issue.
If you were a military armorer and you plunked check ammo in several M9s and that all passed wouldn’t you get to a point where you’d have faith in all but a rare exception would as well?
Also have came to an understanding that plunk testing verifies one thing only and that is that your OAL will for sure safely chamber in the gun the barrel is out of, it does not prove that it won’t. Assuming case and chamber are correct.
Didn’t intend to offend any fan boys just wanted to bypass all the dribble about “different design, different acceptable OAL”
Yea, I know.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no it isn’t broke, just very inconsistent throat dimensions across a total of 10 examples (2 being my brothers) of “Glock perfection”
I began buying and shooting Glock strictly from a shoot anything you feed them and a reliability stand point which I obtained from experience with Gen 3 & 4 guns.
Now, between my brother and I there are 3 19x and 2 17-5 that one of each will not chamber the exact same ammo the others will, safely.
This seems to be an issue.
If you were a military armorer and you plunked check ammo in several M9s and that all passed wouldn’t you get to a point where you’d have faith in all but a rare exception would as well?
Also have came to an understanding that plunk testing verifies one thing only and that is that your OAL will for sure safely chamber in the gun the barrel is out of, it does not prove that it won’t. Assuming case and chamber are correct.
Didn’t intend to offend any fan boys just wanted to bypass all the dribble about “different design, different acceptable OAL”
Yea, I know.
Let me approach this from a different area.
If you set out to load ammo of a certain caliber that you wished to be used in a wide variety of firearms of the same caliber even some that you didn’t own or have experience with how would you go about bullet selection?
Given we live in a world of standards, tolerances and ranges? Standards being operative here.
Say you want to load a dump truck load of 9mm that should work in any “standard” chamber, what criteria for bullet selection would you apply?
The one I applied was using a standard bullet weight of 115 grains from a commercial ammo manufacturer, JHP with a cannelure, seated to top of cannelure ( perhaps incorrectly assuming) that cannelure location would dictate an industry standard OAL that would safely fit in all “standard” chambers of that caliber. This being said my brother and I have 3 Glock firearms that fail to safely chamber the ammo explained above, does this help you understand my concern?
Again, I have no intent of offending anyone but Glock technical support/customer service.
The above situation is unacceptable and as of yet Glock has not offered to provide late production or standard chambered barrels.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts