close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Featured Gen 5 taking a beating already...?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by xShowtimex, Aug 31, 2017.

1. xShowtimex

xShowtimex

Took my gen 5 to the range today, shoots awesome! Performed very well. I brought my gen 4 as well, shot them side by side to see id I could notice any differences......well, some differences were noticed when I took the Gen 5 down for cleaning. I am not so sure about this new Ion bonded finish vs the tinnifer that the Gen 4 has. My Gen 4 has about 450 rounds theough it. The Gen 5 now has about 125......the Gen 5 has a lot of wear for that little amount of rounds, IMO of course. The Gen 5 looks like its had more rounds than my Gen 4. Look at the pics below. You will notice the tooth picks. The slide on the left is the Gen 5. Its already removing material. I can catch it with my fingernail. The Gen 4 doesnt look that bad. The barrel also has a notch in it, not sure whats up......? What do you fellas think? 20170831_222021.jpg 20170831_222035.jpg Gen 5 on right in this pic. Notice where the material/ finish is coming off at the top of the ejection port. 20170831_222059.jpg 20170831_222053.jpg

DocPoison likes this.
  2. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

Honestly, I think you're getting all worked up over normal wear patterns from metal to metal contact.

The photos of your Gen5 look similar to all of my Gen3 pistols (with the famed "frying pan" finish).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. xShowtimex

xShowtimex

I thought I may be......BUT, its worse than a gun with tripple the rounds through it..? I get the weat part but damn. Didnt think it would get that much that quick.

4. ddown

ddown

Gen 4s don't have tennifer which was never a coating but a underlying metal coating applied to the bare metal then a Finish applied over that. Glock switched from Tennifer several years ago switched to a Nitride base layer and have used several top finishes over the years.
    Old Frying Pan finish is the toughest

5. Graytness

Graytness

The round count is almost laughable... come back when you have at least 2,000.

6. ddown

ddown

Pack it up send it to me I'll make sure it's A'oK

7. JONM78

JONM78

450 rounds is a single trip to the range for me.

8. HGGMB

HGGMB

You were able to catch material being removed from your Gen3's slide with your finger within the first 125 rounds?

Can't say that happened on either of my Gen4s, and I was under the impression Gen4s didn't have the toughest of Glock finishes.

9. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

My old Gen 3 with Frying Pan finish still looks new despite thousands of rounds thru it. Contrary, my duty Gen 4 looks like crap after 1.5 year. It's not rusting, but the outer layer of the finish is nearly gone in couple of spots. Not that I really care, but hard to call it an improvement. Looking at the pictures here...well, hard to say something for sure...but it looks worse than my Gen 3...I think. Need to take a look to confirm.

Davers, Sk8r, Just Glocks and 5 others like this.
  10. ddown

ddown

My Gen 3 6K Rounds 20170831_225810.jpg Frying Pan Finish G22RTF2

Davers, Sk8r, DocPoison and 3 others like this.
  11. xShowtimex

xShowtimex

Gen 5, not gen 3

12. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

Irrelevant to the point of this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Bradley T

Bradley T

I think you are okay. If it gets real bad, just send it to Georgia and let them fix it. Cool that you got two new Glock pistols. I never have had any issues with the finishes on GLOCKs. Just shoot them, man. Looks pretty normal to me.

DocPoison likes this.
  14. xShowtimex

xShowtimex

Whats so laughable? I just got the damn thing. Stopped on my way home from work and put a couple boxes through it. Its just showing heavy wear at 125 rounds. My G19 Gen 4 doesnt even have that much wear and its just shy of 500 rounds. My Gen 4 G23 at 1000 rounds is about as comperable to the wear on this gen 5.

Seminoles, n2g, Toby196 and 1 other person like this.
  15. xShowtimex

xShowtimex

Im going to run about 500 more through it this weekend. I will then compare. It shoots great! I like the finger groove removal, It actually feels just like my P10c now. Very close. I will provide more pictures Sunday or Monday. We'll see how much changes.

Steven Lo Vullo likes this.
  16. HGGMB

HGGMB

Oops, poor posting skills on my part.

I meant to reply to the person who said your Gen5 looked similar to their Gen3.

Nevermind.

17. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

Regardless of what finish a gun has, it's still metal on metal moving at a high rate of speed.

Did you happen to oil the gun in these spots before shooting it?

18. xShowtimex

xShowtimex

No sir. Ran it out of the box like I usually do. Then tear it down for a good cleaning/inspection. The points in the pictures I wouldnt usually lubricate anyhow.

19. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Just checked. It's anything between 6 and 8 thousand. I think.
    [​IMG]
    However my Gen 4 looks much, much worse with maybe 1k thru it. Keep us updated please.

Squib308 likes this.
  20. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

Non-lubricated metal on metal will leave wear marks even faster.

[​IMG]

I know it's bothersome to you, but I wouldn't worry about it. Some of my Gen4's that I carry and shoot a lot look like they were dragged behind a truck.

Crafty714, Sk8r, Glockdude1 and 6 others like this.