Gen 5? No thanks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by WPGlocks, Jun 5, 2020.

1. 58sniper

58sniper Gold Member

They already make a Gen 5 gun in .40. Just not available here.

2. Biggy1

Biggy1

Most all the experts and pro's agree, the Glock Gen 5 9mm pistols are the **overall** best pistols Glock has ever produced. If you don't agree with that, well, you are just not that far advanced yet.

Gfive45 and Deputydave like this.

3. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

It's a G22 made for Brazil, but it's not the same size and weight as a G17. It has a bulkier, heavier slide so that slide mass will reduce battering on the 2 pin frame.

I would like to see a "compact" size Gen 5 G23 and G32 but NOT with a thicker heavier 45 GAP sized slide.

RetropM, Buckshot Barry and 58sniper like this.
  4. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

1st or 2nd? I think 2nd gen started in 88. If you have checkering on front and back straps, it’s a Gen 2.

5. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Thank you for sharing this information. As I've said before, I'd be all over a Gen 5 Glock 23. Since they already make the Gen 5 G22 for Brazil it isn't that far of a stretch to offer them both to the public.

You and me both :)

6. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

It’s just a quick fix, hardly *surgery*. Guess I must be missing something but it’s beyond me why some folks seem to hate the ambi-safety.

Bus007 likes this.
  7. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

"Slide Stop", not lock.

...and again... "Slide Stop", not release.

Not reading 4 additional pages of posts, so if this is previously addressed....

8. WPGlocks

WPGlocks

1st gen. Sent the serial # to Glock for an official "born on" date.
    03/1989

9. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

Ok, I didn’t know they kept producing 1st gens after they started second gens is all so I asked if your gun had checkering or not.

WPGlocks likes this.
  10. 2740dmx

2740dmx

So... you're not reading the thread, just here to be the semantics police?
    I've been shooting handguns since 1984, and am a combat veteran (twice over)... so maybe add something to the thread, besides being a dick?

Charles253 and Deputydave like this.
  11. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

Well, she’s a she, so.....

SARDG and 2740dmx like this.
  12. TeaDub

TeaDub

Thanks for posting this letter. That's the biggest Glock "news" I've seen in quite a while. I don't blame them for wanting to streamline their production. While I love my 43, I have zero use for a Gen 5 in the earlier models.

Thankfully, I have all the models I want in my preferred Gen 4s. If I ever need to replace one? The used market will have thousands. A new Gen 3 would be OK if I couldn't find what I wanted.

2740dmx likes this.
  13. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

I haven't shot the gen. 5 19 yet so I can't say anything good or bad about it. It does however, look like a decent gun. I like the rounded muzzle on it and I'll bet I wouldn't even notice the lack of finger grooves.
    I love my gen. 4 19 and am hesitant to change anything up with regards to generation but if there's not a gen. 4 available when I go to buy another 19, I'll just give the gen. 5 a try.
    Hey, it's a GLOCK, how could I not love it?

14. Deputydave

A lot depends on whether or not the finger grooves on a compact sized Glock work for you. For some folks it's hand-in-glove. For some folks, like me, I can 'do' them but they just don't fit me right. So the Gen 5 is an excellent option. Some folks complain about the ambi slide release, I really don't know why. If they don't like it, don't use it. Now that they have all the kinks worked out (slide and frame muzzle match and the half-moon cut out is gone) it is a really nice pistol.

'Ol Grandad and 2740dmx like this.
  15. billyj7175

billyj7175

I own Gen 3's, 4's & 5's. I didn't like fingergrooves at first, but they grew on me. The Gen 3's small mag release is the only nitpick I have. I know there's a ton of aftermarket fixes for that, but then it wouldn't fit my holster (OWB J&M Custom Kydex & IWB Vedder) without modification, which would leave the mag release exposed when holstered.
    Anymore, my 17.4 gets a lot more range time than any other gun I own.

16. alhovde

alhovde

I loved my Gen 3 Glock 19 when I owned it, and now that my father in law just purchased a Gen 5 G19 with the FSS and no cutout grip, I have found that I love that pistol just as much. They both feel great to me. If anything I would give the Gen 5 a small nod in the texture department. That's about it.

17. 2740dmx

2740dmx

I dislike ambi slide stop (or... slide lock, or release..) on most pistols, but especially hate it on a Glock.
    Here's why: Glock is designed with no extra levers, external safety, bulging take down levers, etc.. its the simplest design I know, externally. Glock is also kinda chubby.... so the super small slide lock lever is very nice design, in my opinion.
    I NEVER use the slide lock as a release, but prefer the sling-shot method. Which makes me appreciate the tiny slide lock lever even more.
    Gen5 adds the nubby lever on both sides of the slide... making it even a wider profile.
    Also, holsters have to account for the ambi slide lock lever... so Gen4 holsters likely won't work with a Gen5.
    Ambi slide lock levers just ruin the Gen5 for me! (Yes, I can dremel the ambi part so that it isn't ambi... but I simply love the Gen4 more, ha!)

18. Deputydave

I appreciate your position. I have the opposite position, here's why. I use the slide stop/release lever to drop the slide almost exclusively (only time I sling shot is during malfunction drills where you have to use that method). This is the way I was trained as an FDLE firearms instructor and Israeli Instinctive Shooting instructor. The reason I prefer using the slide stop/release lever is because it is a one-handed operation. Thus if the support hand has been injured or you are otherwise unable to use the support hand you don't need it to complete the operation. I'm a big believer that the person should be able to complete each and every necessary operation (reload, drop slide, malfunction drill, shooting) one-handed and with both the strong and the support hand individually. Again, in the advent that the support hand is injured.

Additionally, this is why I like the Gen 5 because it is on both sides thus if my strong hand ever becomes injured I can use my support hand to still drop the slide one-handed.

As far as holsters, I suppose it depends on the holster in question. My G26.4 and G19.5FS fit the same holster (with the only difference is the G19 sticks out of the bottom just a bit which isn't an issue).

Rasputin99, 2740dmx and jamppp like this.