Gen 5? No thanks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by WPGlocks, Jun 5, 2020.

1. WPGlocks

WPGlocks

The dual recoil spring is one of the things I really dislike-not sure why but it bothers me a lot. Other than the subcompacts, they never needed them before. I personally think that one was a sales gimmick, one of those "hey, look what else we changed!" things. Again, just a crotchety old man thing I guess.

2. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Interesting information...

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/why-the-new-style-recoil-spring-guide-rods.1721064/

Buckshot Barry likes this.

3. Villuj_idiot

Villuj_idiot

Finger-thingies suck.

4. CBennett

CBennett

to each their own..the newest one is the ONLY one id own.

Deputydave likes this.
  5. DrewBone

DrewBone

Despite it's name, this website consists of ~many different facets~ besides the Glock pistol, and whether the subjects of threads and responses here receive praise or criticism depends on an individual's own personal experiences. As such you are allowed your opinion and Mr. Rocky7 is allowed his opinion also, whether or not it coincides with yours. And if it doesn't, does it then become your mission to convince him otherwise while you're allowed to keep your opinions? Does that sound right to you?

Whether Gen 4 or Gen 5 Glocks are "good pistols" is your completely subjective opinion, as is your comment "Not perfect, but about as close as can be made by man." The latter comment I'm sure is what caused Rocky7 to thank you for the "entertainment". And "...why try other brands when Glock works so well and has an aftermarket following like no other"? Perhaps because those of us who've "been around for a while" and have experienced perhaps hundreds and hundreds of different handguns over the course of 40-50 years have the right to make suggestions to others as a means of helping them to discover what else is out there. And a product having a large aftermarket following simply means that there are alot of people and entities looking to make revenue off of someone elses work. And lastly, just because something is popular doesn't mean that it's right for you, e.g., if it were reported on GlockTalk's Okie Corral that being a homosexual was super popular would you then start being gay? That example may be a bit extreme but you sound like you need someone to show you a thing or two outside of your Glock bubble because, well, your Glock slip is showing... ;)

2740dmx and Rocky7 like this.
  6. OdinIII

OdinIII

I get plenty of exposure to other guns. You probably can’t name a pistol that I haven’t shot against (and beat) in the months before this virus. I’ve shot all the nice CZs, Tanfos, STIs, SVIs, Sigs, etc. If I knew my performance would increase in USPSA by going out and getting a different brand then I’d go buy 2 of those pistols tomorrow. I know that it wouldn’t, my Glocks aren’t holding me or anyone else back. I’m sure I could switch to a Sig Legion for example and be competitive but why bother? Trust me, if it ever becomes clear that I need to change then I won’t hold back for one second. Also, for full disclosure, I own a Sig and multiple USPSA oriented single action, hammer fired pistols.

I’m always looking to learn. Can you show me a way to improve my shooting or something outside of my “bubble”?

It’s wrong to act like anyone on a Glock forum is blind and a fan boy to like Glock Pistols.

buster55 likes this.
  7. DrewBone

DrewBone

The 11 references to "I" in the text above shows that your opinion seems to be the only one that matters, and it was this attitude that caused me to respond to you about Rocky7's commentary.

What works for you works for you but your blanket commentary about Glock basically being the best thing since sliced bread even I have a problem with, and I've owned 13 different models of them. The Glock experiment is over for me and they're all up for sale.

There's nothing that I can "show" you that will improve your shooting, but you already knew that since you're so correct about everything.

And I don't know here you've been, and I have no idea how you've failed to notice, but this site is filled with Glock fanbois who won't even consider another handgun brand :eek:, and is a haven for those with little firearm experience/newbies (especially lately with all the civil unrest across the nation that's begun to "scare" even the most left wing liberals into arming themselves) who blindly accept and drink the Glock Koolaid right down to the last drop. It's unfortunate that so many people in this day and age are so dependant on and willing to accept what they read on the internet or hear in gunshop chatter as gospel from complete strangers, but I guess it's become the norm.

Enjoy your Glock pistols and kindly allow others not to.

checkyoursix and Rocky7 like this.
  8. WPGlocks

WPGlocks

Are you talking about finger grooves on the grip, or the stupid front cocking serrations?

9. bac1023

bac1023

Gen 3 is still my favorite, actually

9XX19mm, MercuryHayze and WPGlocks like this.
  10. Villuj_idiot

Villuj_idiot

Both, now that you mention the front serrations.

WPGlocks likes this.
  11. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Blah, blah, blah. My Kung fu is better than yours.

Gfive45, cafe, WPGlocks and 2 others like this.
  12. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

I actually like the front serrations on my new G19.5 FS :couch:

THX101, Gfive45, RustyRyan and 3 others like this.
  13. OdinIII

OdinIII

Me too! My only complaint is the sound leaving the holster but it’s so much more comfortable to rack with the front of the slide.

Deputydave and Buckshot Barry like this.
  14. ViperR

ViperR

I like them, too.
    Battery check. And the most important part, I have very little nerve feeling in my non-shooting hand, but can still grip ok I guess on the slide. The front serrations really help with that a whole lot getting my hand to have back and forward purchase even if I can't feel anything. Might be a big plus for elderly shooters, too.
    And, I kind of like the looks on it.
    Now, just to get a G5 43X/48 with the rail, black slide, front serrations and I'm in hog heaven.

Deputydave likes this.
  15. GordyNismo

GordyNismo

It was not until the Gen5 that I even considered a Glock. Once I picked on up...I was hooked. Sold all my Sigs but one and converted to Glock and I am not looking back.

RustyRyan and Deputydave like this.
  16. MercuryHayze

MercuryHayze

I started a thread on some of the specific reasons I don't care for the Gen 5 guns in concept, having never owned or shot one. I think the frame is a step backwards, as is the barrel, and the slide improvements are at best a very slight refinement of the design. I'd buy a Gen 5 19 just to try. I like the fact that it's an FBI gun, for the same reason I kind of want a 1007. That ambi slide catch has to go, and I want the third pin back to support the locking block. Other than that, I don't see how anyone can argue that basically every other handgun manufacturer with a few exceptions is still to this day chasing the Glock.

2740dmx likes this.
  17. Carl292

Carl292

My glock45 gen 5 was my first glock and fit my hand perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick B likes this.
  18. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

It took Gen 4 for me to even give Glock a second look and Gen 5 for me to lose interest. My dad was issued a Glock 22 many years ago. When he retired, he had to give it back. He liked it so much, he bought one, along with a 27. Both are Gen 3 and I had no interest. The first Glock I actually touched was a Gen 4, after which, I bought a dozen and a half or so and have kept them all. My Glock 23 still makes me smile every time I hold it and an ear to ear grin when I shoot it. Same with my 27.

WPGlocks likes this.
  19. cafe

cafe

I shot the G34 Gen5 with a Holosun at the range - WOW!!!!!
    Love the grip, balance, and trigger - best "stock" Glock I have tried to date ( I have a G30SF & G21 Gen 4 both have a Holosun & 4.5 lb trigger).
    The G34 blew out the bullseye at 10 & 15 yards the first time I fired it - perfect grouping - love at first sight.
    It prompted me to buy one to go alongside my HK Vp9 OR.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Buckshot Barry likes this.
  20. 9XX19mm

9XX19mm

If the slide finish is the same as on the Gen 4 models... no thanks. Pass.