Gen 5? No thanks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by WPGlocks, Jun 5, 2020.

1. KindOfBlue

KindOfBlue

Not that we have much choice in California, but I'm very pleased with Gen 3 so far

Cup of Cheese likes this.
  2. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

I still like my gen2s and 3s, I do have a gen4 G-41, and like it too. I'm not sure what gen my G-43X is, but I like it too.
    I guess you could say I just like Glocks.
    Some of them just don't fit me, 26, & 27. I like the size, it's just not for me.
    I just never got into the 10mm, and 357sig They are fine rounds, I have shot both and liked them.
    I just stuck with what I have, 22, 9, 40, 45.
    They have served me well, and done what I want.
    I have even got away from revolvers, a 38 snub, for my Wife, and one 357 snub for me.
    My 1911s have gone the same way.
    Right now I am thinking about a G-45, just because I don't have one. Or a 1911, because I don't have one.
    Decisions, Decisions. Lol
    Well I have been thinking about that G-45 since it came out, and just haven't pulled the trigger, I am leaning more toward the 1911 mid sized. I carried a Colt Commander, for fifteen years as a LEO. I switched to a G-23 for the last Five years.

Davers likes this.

3. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Good riddance. All 1’s, 3’s, and 5’s here. The most elegant is still 3, IMO.

buster55, Rocky7 and WPGlocks like this.
  4. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Well, if I see an official statement from Glock that Gen4 pistols are being discontinued, I will certainly take that as gospel.
    Perhaps you have a link to an official statement?
    Also, I have no skin in the game, so to speak... I happen to think the Gen4 is the perfect pistol for me, but also love many other pistols from a few other manufacturers.

5. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Lol, you can see the Glock Fan Bois, with numerous comments trying to support their latest decision on Gen 5’s.

Nothing Glock has made has been Perfect ( a Captain Obvious observation). Gaston has probably run out of earthly time and interest and deserves a restful retirement from the Sales Pitch.

I believe boredom has replaced common sense. The Forum now laden with Progressives in thought and possibly Politics.

Anyway, thanks for the entertainment.

2740dmx likes this.
  6. DrewBone

DrewBone

Again, LOL. My cane is propped up against the wall in my living room next to the front door. I only use it on very rare occasions when my RA and gout act up in my feetsies or hip. I've been having these issues since my early 50's and am now <gulp> 60 :( but I make the best of it knowing that things could always be worse and I'm very greatful they are not :D

'Funny you mention rock'n roll, as I grew up listening to what is now called "classic rock", which BTW I can't stand listening to anymore with only very few exceptions like Led Zep, along with some Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac. When I was young my Dad would spin jazz vinyl LP's from Stan Kenton, Stan Getz (*he'd listen in the dark living room with the fireplace crackling away with a mug of beer in his hand and Astrud Gilberto singing "The Girl from Ipanema"), Louis Armstrong, etc. on his copper chassis Harman Kardon tube job mono system, and on occasion my Mom would ask him to put on some opera, which he affectionately called "the uproar" LOL...soon thereafter dropping the needle he'd head off to the garage for a beer and apply his cologne, Hoppe's No. 9 :D Whenever I asked him to put on one of my records (e.g., Brain Salad Surgery by ELP) he used to say that it would ruin his Hi-Fi system because of all the crazy highs and extreme lows, LOL.

Oh those were the days of my yute, fond memories they were too.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1uEy-n4IsU

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    WPGlocks likes this.
  7. OdinIII

OdinIII

Why do you subject yourself to such drivel? Wouldn’t you be happier somewhere without Glock in the name?

Glock Gen 5’s are good pistols as was the previous 4 generations. Not perfect, but about as close as can be made by man. Other brands work well also but why try other brands when Glock works so well and has an aftermarket following like no other.

Deputydave and Rocks like this.
  8. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Lol, again thanks for YOUR entertainment.

9. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

For me, it’s Gen5 all the way. Best generation in many respects and, within that generation, the G45 rules them all.

Also, for those that complain about ambi slide releases, stop being so selfish it was about time they remembered that 13% of shooters are left handed.

I will shoot to the sound of Stairway to Heaven the next time I go to my club, to celebrate great pistols and superb guitars.

IllinoisGun and Gfive45 like this.
  10. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

It took the gen 5 to reform me from former glock hater to respecter. Now i have 2 one that i carry. Also, its the gen 5 second gen (gen 6?) i like, at first it was a fail. You get rid of finger grooves and put massive cutout in front of grip? The new ones with no finger grooves and no cutout rule. Once you put new sights on them.

Really glock, plastic sucks and mos guns need cowitness sights.

Maybe the offical gen 6 will be all the way there, seems like glock is always one step away which is why there is an aftermarket.

11. OdinIII

OdinIII

Are you aware that the cutout isn’t new? My Gen 3 competition guns have it and I never knew it was bad until I was told so here. I have thousands of reloads on them with no issues. Choices are a good thing. You could buy a gun with or without the cutout.

Glocks are available with steel sights and have been for a long time. Rarely would they put the sights on a pistol that I’d like anyway. I’d rather have the choice.

Do you know what you’d like to see in a Gen6? A Gen 5 pistol with a heavier frame would be good for me.

12. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Im aware its an old feature, but it was absent on the gen 4 and brought back, to ridicule, ad removed. It does screw up my reload and feels like crap.

I got a mos glock, it has plastic standard height sights. I havent seen any with cowitness sights, and have only seen steel sights on non mos models.

A gen 6 id like to see side cutouts at bottom of grip, for an actual efficent strip, a grip plug pre installed in back cutout, cowitness sights on mos models.

13. SWFlGuy

SWFlGuy Lifetime NRA member

I like my G5 19. I didn’t like the finger cutouts on the previous 19 but I love my G3 17 and 30. The fingers don’t bother me at all on those.

14. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

When Glock brought out the Gen 5 and eliminated the finger grooves but added the front half-moon cut-out, it was one step forward and two steps back.

And when they came out with the "Marksman" barrel that was one step forward and one step back because the Gen's 1through 4 barrels would feed ANY ammo and the marksman barrel's won't.

I'd gladly trade a little bit of accuracy for the 100% reliability I've had and have come to expect with my Gen 2 and Gen 3 Glocks. There are a couple of other actual mechanical improvements with the Gen 5 Glocks But the ambi safety isn't one of them especially since it meant eliminating the reinforcing pin. And a lot of Left-handed people don't even like the ambi slide release on the Glock, especially those who have become accustomed to using the Left-side-only slide release.

If anything, they could have easily have made it Left hand only, Right hand only, or both. Same thing with the Forward slide serrations that have now become mandatory on all new Glocks. It should be optional whether someone wants or doesn't want forward slide serrations.

But Glock just isn't real big on giving their customers options.

WPGlocks likes this.
  15. IllinoisGun

IllinoisGun

The Glock 45 is the King of GLOCK

*It is good to be the King

cafe likes this.
  16. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

Exactly

I have have 5 Glocks right now I use for GSSF. Three gen 4s abs two gen 3s

They are all upgraded a little with grip tape adjustable sights and (-) connectors. I can also put and entire magazine in the A/B zone at 25 years (even with the 43)

I’m not about to start over for the sake of a new Gen. but certainly wouldn’t mind a Gen 5 should I get another one to fill another roll.

17. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

Some Glocks are not perfect. I can attest to that with the 18 that I own. And those all had correctable issues and were not all Gen 5’s.

So just to show what correctable issues I’ve experienced, here is my list, oldest model to newest

G27, Gen 2.5, failure to feed with latest type 3 RSA. Went with a type 2 RSA. Type 3 was just a hair shorter.

G19, Gen 3, terrible back to face. Removed burr on extractor.

G42, Gen 4, failure to feed. Replaced RSA

G41, Gen 4, failure to feed aluminum cases, replaced extractor that was gouging the soft aluminum case rims.

G17, Gen 5, failure to feed every 70 some odd rounds. Burr on breech face at the lower edge of the firing pin hole.

Do you see a pattern here? Dual coil recoil spring assemblies and MIM extractors are 4 of the 5 issues I had. That breech face burr was a bear to find ;-)

So thats 5 Glocks out of 18. Nothing is perfect, but Glocks are the best mass produced handguns yet at an affordable price in my opinion.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    buster55 likes this.
  18. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

When Sootch00 stated at the end he's trade up his Glocks to the Gen 5, to be honest, I kinda rolled my eyes. After all I don't think they've made a gun he doesn't like. That said, having some experience with the Gen 5's I can see the attraction. Not that I'd trade my Gen 4 G26 or G22 but I have developed an appreciation for my G19FS and 19X.

As I've stated, I like the removal of the finger grooves. I like the removal of the cut out. And I like that they are now a full bevel on on the muzzle between slide and frame.

19. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Until they remove those front cocking serrations, then I'm not getting a Gen 5. I hate front cocking serrations on a pistol....every time I look at them, I have flashes in my head of rumble strips on the side of the highway.

WPGlocks likes this.
  20. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Just the opposite, I'm glad I have them on mine.

Gfive45, checkyoursix and OdinIII like this.