Gen 5? No thanks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by WPGlocks, Jun 5, 2020.

1. WPGlocks

WPGlocks

Was out & about & finally got a chance to fondle a Gen 5 (I know I'm what, like 3 years late to the party?) The grip just does nothing for me.
    My 19.3 just has the right "shape" (never thought I'd ever describe a Glock as having a shape )
    My only other exp with newer Glocks was a 19.4 (bought it when they first came out) and it felt good in the hand, but it's the only Glock I've ever had a jam with. That one went bye-bye since it was gonna be a carry gun-and I've never before & never since had a problem with ANY Glock. Looks like it's all .3's for me!
    Didn't figure I'd be a crotchety old man already at 45 years old...

GlockyQ, davedc, LOOT and 6 others like this.
  2. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Personally, I love the Glock grip but could not come to terms with the finger grooves. I like my fingers tight together and the grooves just didn't fit. Painstakingly, my Gen 4's are flat, now, on the front straps and are adorned with granulated tape, not that sissy kid stuff. If I were to own a Gen 5, it would have to have the granulate on the front and rear straps...the finger grooves not being there would be a definite plus.

3. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

Been carrying and competing with Glocks since 1994 and no longer own any 3’s or 4’s.

All GEN5 for me.

4. cavediverbob

cavediverbob

But you’re missing out on having a wonderful 357 Sig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Wasabi, Nanuk, ambulldog and 3 others like this.
  5. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

You get to choose what you like, but a jam with a new 19.4 probably happened with about the same frequency as jams with a 19.3 or 19.5. No gun is perfect. I would be slow to assume a gun made by Glock (or any major dealer) is unreliable based upon a small data set.

While I do like my Gen 3's a lot, have Gen 4's, and don't see a big need to rush to Gen 5's, I would trust any of them to be completely reliable firearms. All of them have some features I prefer, and some I don't prefer.

Someday, perhaps Glock will put all the features I want (and none that I don't want!) on the same gun. Until then, we straddle generations, and decide which one we like the most.

6. dbuck47

dbuck47

I rather like the Gen5 so far, though I could do without the ambi slide release. And I am at 62 the epitome of the crotchety old man. The grip is perfect for me. I am not fond of the look of the front serrations, but do like their function.

7. MeatGrinder

MeatGrinder

Prefer my Gen 5 G17 without finger grooves.

8. WPGlocks

WPGlocks

Though I'll still say my first gen 17 (born in '89) feels best of all. I know people whine & complain about the grip not having enough/any texture, but I've never had an issue with it. Even with sweaty hands!
    I thought I saw somewhere (possibly a post here?) that Glock was still making, or had available some brand new guns with gen 3 frames. Or am I crazy/imagining things (again)?

Wrangler13 likes this.
  9. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

You can still find new Gen 3 and 4 Glocks on the Internet.

10. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    You're not as old and crotchety as I am. That gen 5 shape will grow on you.

skyboss_4evr, Nanuk and Gfive45 like this.
  11. MuscogeeDawg

MuscogeeDawg

Love my Gen 5's! My G3 21 ain't too bad either!

g-michael likes this.
  12. Bradley T

Bradley T

Gen 5 G44 works for me, but sometimes I come up to target with everything and sights are lined up over the top of the bull. That might just be a G19 grip's tendancy? Full sized pistols don't do it as bad. I really haven't fired any GLOCK and not like it though.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  13. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

My first Glock was a G17.2. Bought it used. Had a bit of holster wear but shot like a champ. I became an instructor using that pistol and shot thousands of rounds through it. Foolishly traded it off for something else years later, should have hung on to it. And I don't recall any issues with a slippery grip, even in the Florida summer.

I've had several Gen 3 Glocks in various calibers and a Gen 2.5 in G26. All were great, except I'm one of the folks that can't stand finger grooves on a compact sized Glock. I can shoot them, but they just aren't comfortable. Full and sub-compact for some reason are okay, just don't like the compact sized finger grooves.

Everything I have now is either Gen 4 (G26 and G22) or Gen 5 (G19FS and 19X). I very much like the grip texture on the Gen 4's and 5's and I especially like the back straps. I normally put the medium sized beaver tail on all my Glocks. And best of all, no finger grooves on the G19FS and 19X! Personal preference. If/when they come out with a Gen 5 in G23 I'll likely be all over it.

HEXE9 likes this.
  14. stonesfan99

stonesfan99

I really liked the Gen 5 last time I was on the range trying out the G17. I didn't care for the older ones with the finger grooves.

Deputydave likes this.
  15. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

The finger groove thing is so interesting. I learned to shoot on gen3 Glocks, and really don't notice the lack of grooves when I shoot guns that don't have them. Nor do I notice the presence of grooves when I go back to my Glocks.

I wonder if I would notice the grooves if I'd initially learned to shoot guns without them.

Mr Meeseeks and FireMedic-50 like this.
  16. JBP55

JBP55

I went all in on gen 5 Glocks when they were released. The Gen 3 Glocks are for California and the Gen 4 Glocks are being discontinued this summer so get them while you can.

WPGlocks and Deputydave like this.
  17. Cracker007

Cracker007

I like my gen 5 17 but my last Glock purchase was a gen 4 because they don’t make gen 5 in 45 ACP.

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  18. yep380

yep380

I would not get rid of a gun that had “a” jam. Semi-autos jam, that’s why we train to clear them. Now, if I had a jamomatic gun that consistently jammed, that would be another story.

Anyway, I’ve handled, but not shot a couple gen 5s. They seemed ok, and if the right deal presented itself, I’d buy one. As it is, I’m happy with the gen 4 26 I currently own and see no reason to “upgrade”.

Deputydave likes this.
  19. biscut53

biscut53

Like many here I have multiple Glock's form various generations. I ask if you have large hands? Average hands? Small hands? I have 2XL hands and I can shoot the Gen 2 3 4 a ok and I do like them but I picked up a G45 and OH MY!!!!!! PERFECT! I didn't think the removal of the finger grooves would be THAT noticeable. I was wrong. Huge difference. Enough I may be selling at least 1 17 and 19 to pick up Gen 5's. I am also dying for the 40 cal brother to the 45X.

20. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

The Gen 5 is by far Glock’s best gun. ‘Nuff said.