Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anytime a company claims that they’ve made some major improvement, I’m always skeptical. I did some group shooting with a 45 and a 34, and I am not a skeptic anymore. The groups below were shot with Hornady 115 grain ball ammo (head stamp says Frontier) at 12 yards, standing. Each group was 10 shots.

Thought I’d share the abilities of these barrels, I was quite impressed.

First is the Glock 45:

Wood Rectangle Textile Font Flooring

the Glock 34

Light Black Rectangle Wood Line

·
MacGyver
9,527 Posts
After about third or fifth grade, one should no longer think Santa, or Easter Bunny as real.
"Whiter teeth, fresher breath, new and improved, more horse power, better mileage, PERFECTION, better erections" all kind of fall in that category.

Pro -wrestling : NOW that's another story.

There is no agreed criteria for "marksman" just like "GT" (grand touring) has no meaning, but just marketing suggestions. If you are already a marksman (who isn't) then the barrel won't make any difference to you because you are so good already. If you are not a marksman, it will improve your performance, the more you shoot, the better it performs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There is no agreed criteria for "marksman" just like "GT" (grand touring) has no meaning, but just marketing suggestions. If you are already a marksman (who isn't) then the barrel won't make any difference to you because you are so good already. If you are not a marksman, it will improve your performance, the more you shoot, the better it performs.
I disagree. There are some setups that are inherently more accurate than others. With a production gun I’ve not been able to group like this (HK, Sig, Beretta). An HK VP9L produced groups about three times bigger, for example. My Gen3 guns don’t group this tight either. In my custom 1911 with a hand fit match barrel I can shoot groups like this, but that‘s a whole other class of pistol.

After a bit with the Gen5 barrel think there is something to the improved accuracy claim.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Anytime a company claims that they’ve made some major improvement, I’m always skeptical. I did some group shooting with a 45 and a 34, and I am not a skeptic anymore. The groups below were shot with Hornady 115 grain ball ammo (head stamp says Frontier) at 12 yards, standing. Each group was 10 shots.

First is the Glock 45:

View attachment 1067664

the Glock 34

View attachment 1067665
I had previously shot other people's Glocks over the years. They were not what I would call an accurate pistol, but in close it wouldn't make that much difference (IMO).

I was pleasantly surprised at performance/accuracy of my gen 5 G22. Much better than what I remember.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have personally seen 3” groups at 50 yards by a very good shooter off the bench. I have been told by people that I trust, (not a larper on the net!), that they have witnessed 2” groups off the bench with a Gen 5 17. The Gen 5’s are the most accurate ones they have made!

Regards,

·
NRA Life Member
72,229 Posts
After about third or fifth grade, one should no longer think Santa, or Easter Bunny as real.
"Whiter teeth, fresher breath, new and improved, more horse power, better mileage, PERFECTION, better erections" all kind of fall in that category.

Pro -wrestling : NOW that's another story.

Huh? Are you not aware that "Marksman" is what Glock calls their new barrel design with new rifling? Also, you don't seem to know that guns have different levels of mechanical accuracy that have nothing to do with the shooter.

·
Florist
21,646 Posts
I have two older gen 3 G19s, one of which was always noticeably more accurate than the other. In 2020 I got a Marksman barrel and installed it in the less-accurate G19. The two pistols' accuracies are now comparable.

I'm sure both G19s were within Glock's specification but their accuracies were noticeable different. The Marksman barrels are suppose to have tighter tolerances. It certainly improved the accuracy of my less accurate G19.

Hmmm. I should switch out the Marksman barrel with the other G19 and see if accuracy improves more!

Reactions: Apollo11

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
That is nice shooting!

For me, I long ago gave up attributing my great (or sh*ty) groups to the gun.
Once, for fun, I shot my Sig P245 (then my EDC) against my Baer Premier II @30 yards off-hand. Well, it ain't the gun. I knew the Baer would shoot smaller groups - it didn't that day. :LOL:

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I'm a fan of the gen 5 marksman barrels. I thought that they delived exceptional accuracy. Having shot a few rounds out of my gen 5 26, and 19. Enough to know that they are 2,000.00 custom gun accuracy level pistols. But yesterday I shot 50 rounds out of a G19 gen 3 to see if I needed to send it back for the "e series upgrade", (frame recall) its covered. Ive never shot this pistol before. I started out with 5 shots at 25 yards hand held. The 1st shot perfect (bullseye) the next 2 took the 3 shot group to about 2", the next 2 not so hot. But off hand this thing shoots. I thought. Then I ran the target to 10 yards and shot the first 4 out of 5 shots thru 1 hole.with the 5th a cloverleaf group, perfect center forehead shots. Its an old gen 3 I thought. All shots hand held. But my point is I was testing to see if I needed to send this pistol back for a new frame. Not in at this point in time. No way. But before shooting it I cleaned it spotlessly clean. The barrel looked perfect. I got it a month ago or so. Has a great stock trigger. Was not shot hardly at all. Point being with a Glock some just shoot amazing! But I will comment that I only shoot Glocks at this point in time!

·
Premium Member
5,630 Posts
When folks said the same about KKM, Barsto, or others having the same impact, it ruffled feathers. But it does seem to be true. Old-school polygonal barrels may have left a bit of improvement on the table. I'd love to see a scientific evaluation (multiple guns, multiple shooters, multiple rounds, and a blinded study). Would be interesting to see real data on this.

Reactions: DMS45 and Apollo11

·
Registered
562 Posts

First is the Glock 45:

View attachment 1067664

the Glock 34

View attachment 1067665
Nice groupings man, it also showcases your ability, not just the barrels.

Reactions: Apollo11

·
I'm not retired
8,208 Posts
My take is while the marksman barrel may be more accurate due to better lock up and/or better rifling, it's not an earth shattering difference. The buzz is the trigger pull on the Gen 5's is much better than previous Gen's because of it being smoother and having less wall. When slow firing for groups, a junk trigger pull will make your groups larger than what the gun gun could do off a rest with a trigger puller that is attached to the gun and doesn't make it move when the trigger is pulled trough the wall. Long story short.....if you put a definitive wall in a Gen 5 with some grit and shot it against a Gen 4 that's had some serious trigger polishing with no wall, I'd bet the farm the Gen 4 will give better slow fire groups 10 out of 10 times.

I'll believe, 100%, the marksman barrel is more accurate when someone shoots it off a vice and it beats the Gen 4. 'Till then, it's going to be a condition of the entire gun, not just the barrel. BTW, here's how you test a barrel for accuracy:

·
MacGyver
9,527 Posts
Blinding the user would lead to some interesting groups.🙂

(I know what you’re saying. I just could t help it.)

Haha.

A ransom rest is blind, but the person setting it up is not.

I mean that the user should not know (randomized) what barrel is being used, so there is no inherent human bias or expectation in the performance of making data points. Observer should also be blinded to sample used, so recording of the data is not biased (called a double blind), and data analyzed at the end afterwards when fully collected.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts