Glock Talk banner

Gen 5 G17 & G45 Barrel swap?

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  bitcoin 
#1 ·
So I've been reading some different info? I'm wondering if a G17 Gen 5 barrel would work in a G45 slide or in a G19X? Are the Gen 5 barrels for the 17 & 19 now interchangeable? Does it make a difference that the G45/19X is a full size frame for the G17 barrel if it works?

#3 · (Edited)
I'm wondering if a G17 Gen 5 barrel would work in a G45 slide or in a G19X?
Yes. The lock-up mechanism of the G17 and G34 was changed for Gen5 to be the same as the Gen5 G19. They all use the exact same Locking Block part that pre-Gen5 G19 pistols use (even though pre-Gen5 G19 pistols 2003 and later use the Locking Block Pin that Gen5 pistols lack).
Are the Gen 5 barrels for the 17 & 19 now interchangeable?
Yes...for putting a Gen5 G17 or G34 longer barrel in the shorter frame G19 or G19X or G45 or G26.
Does it make a difference that the G45/19X is a full size frame for the G17 barrel if it works?
The difference is you'll get a little higher muzzle velocity, muzzle energy, and muzzle momentum ("power factor"). Nothing that relates to frame size.

The G19X and G45 do not really have a full-size (G17) frame. They have a G19-type frame with grip the same as a G17. The dustcover on a G17 frame is longer than on a G19X or G45 frame. The Gen5 G17 and G34 have a real full-size frame.

#5 ·
So I had to move this up the "chain" to my buddy Jim@Glock. (probably should have gone there first) Anyway the locking blocks are all the same in the Gen 5 pistols so we should be G2G, although he wasn't a 100% sure on the G26? Thanks troops.

#6 · (Edited)
... he wasn't a 100% sure on the G26?
The Gen5 G26 barrel locks-up the same as the Gen5 G19, even though the G26 Locking Block is NOT interchangeable with the G19 Locking Block. It is incorrect to claim that
...the locking blocks are all the same in the Gen 5 pistols...
because the G26 Locking Block is a different part than the Locking Block of all other Gen5-ish pistols.
So I had to move this up the "chain" to my buddy Jim@Glock. (probably should have gone there first)
I appreciate your saying you did not trust or believe earlier responses to this thread. However, you did not get information from your private Glock "buddy" as complete or accurate as what had been provided here. That's something to consider in the future...at least the part where you return to express your distrust of the forum to the forum. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.