Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only put 400 rounds through my G19 Gen 5. But the barrel looks much worse than my G19 Gen 4 that has 3000 round though it. Are there known issues with the Gen 5 and barrel wear? Below are the images of my top and bottom of my gen5 barrel.
Thank you in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I have only put 400 rounds through my G19 Gen 5. But the barrel looks much worse than my G19 Gen 4 that has 3000 round though it. Are there known issues with the Gen 5 and barrel wear? Below are the images of my top and bottom of my gen5 barrel.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Don’t you oil the outside of the barrel, like you should?

I’ve got a 17 year old Glock 23 barrel with less wear than either of those. A little oil on the outside of the barrel reduces wear.

Take better care of stuff if you want better results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I’ve got a 17 year old Glock 23 barrel with less wear than either of those. A little oil on the outside of the barrel reduces wear.

I am meticulous about cleaning and lubing. Both photos are the Gen5 barrel. The Gen4 I have looks nothing like that. That wear on the Gen5 is with using the same lubricant I have used for my Gen4 (FrogLube). It got that wear while it was lubricated. So it's not preventing the wear :-(

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I am meticulous about cleaning and lubing. Both photos are the Gen5 barrel. The Gen4 I have looks nothing like that. That wear on the Gen5 is with using the same lubricant I have used for my Gen4 (FrogLube). It got that wear while it was lubricated. So it's not preventing the wear :-(
Frog lube sucks then. I use random gun oil and both of your pics are worse than any Glock I own.

·
"Tactical Elf"
3,114 Posts
This is normal wear for the 5th gen pistols. This is only wearing the black finish and not affecting the barrel itself. Both my 5th gens look like this. It happens very quickly, then doesn't get any worse.

It caused by tighter tolerances in the 5's.

Shoot it and enjoy it and do not worry about it.

TXPO

·
Registered
2,021 Posts

You can oil and grease this gen5 barrel all you want, but that doesn't stop the finish from wearing off. There is nothing you can do about. The only reason the finish on your 17 year old Glock looks better is because it has more durable finish on it.

We have to remember that this is just finish wear and not metal wear! These barrels are extremely hard and corrosion resistant even without a finish. So nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
237 Posts
for all of my firearms I use high temp grease... Works great.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
You can oil and grease this gen5 barrel all you want, but that doesn't stop the finish from wearing off. There is nothing you can do about. The only reason the finish on your 17 year old Glock looks better is because it has more durable finish on it.

We have to remember that this is just finish wear and not metal wear! These barrels are extremely hard and corrosion resistant even without a finish. So nothing to worry about.
My Gen 4 Glock barrels look great. The OP’s Gen 4 barrel looks worn.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
The Gen 5 pistols including my two seem to have a pretty weak ass black oxide finish over *some* of the DLC treated parts. Other than appearance its a total non-issue. The finish is also slicker than I would like, but I can deal with it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I posted earlier this week on this same issue, which in my opinion has become a non-issue for me. 500 rounds and loving my G17 Gen 5. No complaints here.

My sig P228 also has these wear barks on the barrel and no issues there either.

I believe that the tighter tolerances will cause this surface wear.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
That’s normal wear. My department is testing a Gen 5 17. So far we have about 1000 round through it and the barrel shows the same wear.

The Gen 5 is pretty “meh” to me. As far as the 9mm guns go, Glock their pinnacle with the Gen 3 , IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Have Gun Will Travel
3,461 Posts
It doesn't matter what gun oil you use. This is normal wear for a Gen5 barrel. It's just the way it is. Shoot and enjoy!

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.