Gen 5 aftermarket triggers

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Collo Rosso, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Timothy Courtney

Timothy Courtney

Yes, it's just a reference point of where the hole in the trigger bar is so the pin will tap in easily.

2. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN

I’ve been using Agency Arms with stock connector in several “carry” guns for years now. Very pleased.

If I wanted curved I’d use an Overwatch FALX

Not sure I’d want 2lb even in a game gun. Maybe a bullseye gun which that 34 is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamRodgers likes this.

3. cfr

cfr

Ironically I haven't been on this site in a long time, and was just logging in here to see what others are saying about the Apex Action Enhancement Kit. As an FYI I popped one in my new Gen 5 last night and am really underwhelmed. It doesn't really feel any better than my Gen 4 that has a minus connector and about 500 rounds through it. In fairness I don't have a gauge, and the pre/ post/ travels and smoothness simply don't seem like they're worth $130 to me. I also realize I'm comparing something new to something used. Maybe a tad shorter pull overall, but not a real noticeable difference. I got it from Brownells and their web site claims to have an easy going return policy, so not sure what I'm doing with it yet.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    -JCN- and Collo Rosso like this.
  4. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

Had I paid full price for mine I'd probably not be so happy either. It did improve my 34 though. Call Brownell's, their good to deal with.

5. cfr

cfr

Thanks -- yeah I saw the deal you got when it was online and thought the color would drive me crazy. In hindsight it would have been wise and I'd likely just call it good.

Collo Rosso likes this.
  6. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

The aluminum trigger is anodized and looks more yellow/gold than FDE... thankfully! Watch Johnnyglocks video's before you send it back. I stoned the firing pin where it contacts the sear and polished the sear face. Combined with the springs it's not bad and dropped a pound and a half in pull. I've been dry firing it also and it seems to be getting smoother in pull.

7. cfr

cfr

Yeah I plan on at least doing a lot of dry firing w it before making a decision. Unfortunately I'm comparing something new to something used and don't have a scale for a before/ after comparison.

8. hawki18

hawki18

https://factrusa.com/ Just put in a Factr trigger in my gen 5 big improvement have had chance to shot it yet or overwatch in all my other glocks

9. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

San Diego, G23-3, limited to Gen 3. Don't ask.
    It might be more fair to have a scale BEFORE you criticize someone's product as you did. Your opinion would be thrown out in court or by the trier of fact as to the issue of competency. Sure, go ahead and beat it up and dry fire at 500 or more times and then send it back to the vendor. Shame on you. Outside of a product being defective or misrepresented one should hesitate returning it due to buyer's remorse.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

10. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

I'm glad that the shoe comes with the pin partially inserted, but that doesn't guarantee it will be lined up with the hole. I now understand you.

11. Timothy Courtney

Timothy Courtney

its an easy install. i use a small punch to indent the original shoe pin and an awl to push it out. just make sure the shoe is on a hard surface before you begin the operation. btw, you dont have to drive the pin all the way out of the original shoe, just enough to clear the trigger bar. i usually take the time to polish the trigger bar while it is apart.

12. cfr

cfr

This is officially one of the silliest things anyone has ever said to me on any internet forum, and I'm on a fair amount. As an FYI, this isn't court, it's Glock Talk. I'm not claiming it to be fact, it's my opinion. I was hesitant in returning it, until I read Brownells policy on the topic:

Returns Policy and Process
    Brownells’ goal is to make purchasing and returning products as simple as possible. If you buy a product from Brownells and decide you don’t need it, don’t want it, or just don’t like it, we’ll take it back any time with a few exceptions....

Honestly, in my whole life I don't think I've ever returned anything like this unless it was defective. Never really felt the need until now.

Now I need to get this over to the post office before they close -- sure hope your day gets better.

:panties:

xTerpx likes this.
  13. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

To get it off, I had to use the tip of a 4 inch long and thin round file in lieu of an awl. Tried a punch first to no avail. The file pushed the pin out entirely but then it was stuck in the shoe. I had to pry the file off with pliers. The end of it was bent a bit but 'cheap is cheap' as my father used to say.

To start the installation, would you suggest using a starter punch or a roll pin punch or?

Anyway, I felt some satisfaction in being able to remove the shoe myself.

14. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

It was the giving of what I thought was an unsupported and incomplete opinion not the fact of returning it that irritated me.

I felt that Apex deserved more of a Fair Shake than you gave them. There's little doubt that your disparaging mini review was negative and probably discouraged others who are contemplating purchasing the product.

15. Timothy Courtney

Timothy Courtney

I just use a very small hammer like a smith hammer. The head is about 1/2 inch diameter. If you don't have something like this, you might use a punch. It doesn't take much to push the pin in place. Also, before you begin putting the new shoe on, take time to clean up the end of the trigger bar of any burs and the like. Just don't make the hole larger, the pin needs to fit tight.

creativetownsman likes this.
  16. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

Right, thanks Timothy!

Timothy Courtney likes this.
  17. xTerpx

xTerpx

Unsubscribe...hijacked thread.

18. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

Thanks so much, Timothy!

I received the Glock OEM Enhanced and Modified trigger shoe by 'JohnnyGlocks' and followed your advice and had no problem with the installation. It's worth the money for sure.

I like the smoothness of the safety blade, and adjustment of the pre-travel is easy. An Allen key was provided and one merely turns counter-clockwise for more pre-travel and clockwise for less. I have set mine at approx. 1/8" pre-travel but I may decide to let it out slightly because the blade safety is so smooth. I'd recommend adjustments of one-eighth to one-quarter turns and no more and then check it out.

With my adjustment, the Allen key provided does go through the gap between the rear of the safety and the frame with some resistance. I don't know the dimensions of the key, so I can't say the gap is 0.035" or not, as the Lone Wolf folks suggest as the minimum for their trigger (UAT).

Thanks again!

p.s. Mine came in a very nice silver box most likely in keeping with the holidays. It was a nice touch and makes a fine gift.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  19. Timothy Courtney

Timothy Courtney

glad you got it together. you probably have done this already, but pull off the slide, reset the trigger take a light and look down the trigger bar into the top of the trigger and you can see the set screw where it contacts the bar. then look at the cruciform where it rests on the shelf, then move the trigger back and see where it drops off the shelf. thats the amount of safety you have. anyway, where ever you are comfortable with your trigger, since youve changed the mechanism, you need to re-learn the trigger. good luck.

creativetownsman likes this.
  20. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

Will do.

It should be noted although I really like the setup I've switched back to OEM connector with the more solid wall. It's really easy to disengage the trigger safety now and I feel more comfortable with this setup. I may even set the pre-travel to the minimum now.

Update: I had too little pre-travel set at the time I made the above post. The trigger was collapsing and the reason it was collapsing was it was too close to the frame.

A good way to check is to place thumb and forefinger on opposite sides of the trigger, pull back to be sure the safety is solid and hits the frame and trigger doesn't break or go anywhere.

One also wants 0.035 inch clearance between the rear of the blade safety and the frame. I can't say that with certainty but I know that's the minimum clearance that Lone Wolf recommends for their UAT trigger shoe.Their supplied allen wrench has that dimension so it's easy to just stick it in the gap and if it goes through you're good.

I used the Allen wrench provided by Johnny Glocks for his trigger shoe and it passed. Frankly, I don't think one needs to measure you can eyeball the gap, do the pull back test, check your reset and drop safety and you should be good to go though it is reassuring to see that you have the minimum measurement. I can't say for sure that Johnny's Allen wrench is 0.035 in. but I'm really not concerned about it.

Note: I'm not a gunsmith or certified Glock armorer so take that as a disclaimer. Proceed at one's own risk.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019