Gen 5 .40s are Near

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by littletank, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Bimmer74

Bimmer74

Thank you, California DOJ...

voyager4520 likes this.
  2. 10or45

10or45 NRA Benefactor Life Member

I'll take a 23 and a 27 in regular Gen 5 without FCS.

TreeFittySeven likes this.

3. BLUEOVALFITTER

BLUEOVALFITTER

4. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

I mean, for once, we actually can thank them. I like the Gen 3 models. I like how in a roundabout way, they are enough of a market share to keep Glock producing these evil generations of guns. lethal, but definitely less lethal than their dual recoil spring younger brothers. so good on 'em

With the roll out of .40 in October I am expecting the 45/10mm models to come, perhaps in the spring time. I am hoping they do transition the SIG round, but even though I have a hard on for it, I do acknowledge it's less than "meat and potatoes" market share... will it have this new beefed up .40 slide? I'd imagine so.

I do not expect our GAPS to make the transition. To my knowledge they never even made it to Gen 4? Outside a small run of 37s? Still, I hope they continue to produce if only in Gen 3. They are cool, and in many ways - especially as time goes on - a piece of modern history. I think the round is really cool and wish it'd taken off more - I can say the same for SIG, though I no longer own anything chambered in it or load for it anymore. I like diversity but sometimes, one needs to simplify.

voyager4520 likes this.
  5. Bimmer74

Bimmer74

Yeah, as somebody who loves the feel of the Gen2 and who doesn't like finger grooves, it's nice that the CA DOJ compelled Glock to keep producing Gen3 guns so at least I can buy brand-new slides to mate with old lowers...

Example: The G24 isn't on the CA DOJ's "roster," but I just bought a brand-spanking-new G24 slide and then found a Gen2 lower in good shape on GunBroker for <$125. Done.

PITA: Gen5 isn't on the roster, and won't be, so I'll be looking to friends and families in "free" states...

6. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

I know my glock models and can rattle em off with the best of em, but this one I had to look up. very cool. basically a 17L in .40?

7. Bimmer74

Bimmer74

Yeah, it's a bit of an oddball, but the long sight radius is fabulous... It's my USPSA gun.

I just noticed that Glock hasn't yet done a Gen5 17L... I might be shooting my Gen2/3 G24 for a long time!

Lowcountry_Glocker likes this.
  8. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

The Picture shown in the original post by way of ammoland are not pictures of a Gen 5 G22 and G23 but I wish they were because the guns shown don't have those stupid forward slide serrations.

The pictures shown subsequently shows them as FS models. I wish Glock would offer people a choice between an FS model and a non-FS model.

I also don't see any information on slide width but I would hope that the Gen 5 40 caliber (and hopefully also 357 Sig caliber) had the same slide width as the G19, G17, and G26 and not a thicker heavier slide like the Brazilian G22's

I'd also like to see a Gen 5 G45 in 40/357 Sig caliber but I somehow doubt Glock is going to make one the way I would want it with a compact slide and no forward slide serrations. Someone at Glock just plain has it in for me and doesn't want me to buy any of their new guns.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    JimWillson likes this.
  9. bigsteve113

bigsteve113

You can call it internet lore all you want, but I'm the armorer for a 150 man Sheriff's Office that used, and to an extent still uses, GLOCK 22's and 23's, Gen 4's. I personally performed the tests and made the observations. About 20% were unreliable with WML's. Some were reliable, then over the years became unreliable with WML's when springs settled and guns broke in.

I'm glad yours works with a WML ….. at least for now. But we tried all the remedies to no consistent avail. We got tired of fighting it and went to authorizing 9mm's and .45 ACP's for the guys and gals who utilized WML's. ZERO issues with those calibers.

I'd rather .45 anyway. So at least we got that out of the deal.

JonInWA likes this.
  10. bigsteve113

bigsteve113

Yeah, apparently the problem is that the rigidity added to the frame when using a WML causes the slide to move too fast affecting the timing and causing the malfunctions.

The issue is unique to .40 caliber GLOCKs.

I haven't heard of this happening with the even higher pressure 10mm's (I haven't personally tested that though). So I'm thinking a heavier frame/slide may remedy the issue. At least I hope, because I really dig .40 S&W.

11. GRR

GRR

For now (since 1999) my 23 has worked fine with a light attached. My 22 and 35 not quite so long. Don't know what lights your agency used or how they were installed. My lights have a cross-pin and don't clamp to the rail along their entire length. I seem to remember hearing that some were cranked down way too tight so maybe that was the issue.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    bigsteve113 likes this.
  12. bigsteve113

bigsteve113

You must have got some good ones. Like I said. 80% of ours displayed no issues with WML's. But when you're dealing with the masses, 20% with reliability issues is not acceptable.

We tried TLR1's, TLR3's and even GLOCK's own WML. We tried loose fit, snug fit, tight fit …. . Tight grip, medium grip …. . New mag springs. Nothing gave us consistent performance with those particular .40's.

Now, we use 165 gr HST's. I've heard, but not tested, that 180 gr ammo helps some. I was gonna switch us to 180's after testing some out, but since we're in the process of switching to 9mm and .45 ACP I didn't go that far. I will test those guns with 180's just for my own information before we turn them in though. I'll let y'all know if it makes a difference.

Those 165 HST's have performed great for us on the streets. But I would have been glad to switch to 180's if it restored reliability, as reports I get is that 180 HST are great performers also.

JonInWA, TGT and boilergonzo like this.
  13. GRR

GRR

Yeah, seems counter intuitive that it only affects 40's. Frames are identical to the 9mm, recoil impulse should have some cross over (heavy mild 40 vs light hot 9 or other combos). Can't see it being that caliber only specific. My structural engineering hat can't make much sense of it.

bigsteve113 likes this.
  14. Chowser

Chowser

Our EPK serialed gen3 Glock 22s (all frames replaced by Glock for the recall) had issues with WMLs. Glocks, Streamlights, Surefires, Insights. Glock sent us new mag springs which helped. Towards the end before we replaced them with Glock 31s, the heavily used 22s (there were a few of us that shot a lot) started having issues again. No issues at all with gen3 31s or gen4 31s.

bigsteve113 likes this.
  15. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

For those who love the Gen4's, there was some bad news in the article:

"While we will continue to support fielded Gen4 pistols and agencies with Gen4 models, we have stopped 9×19 and .40 caliber Gen4 productions for the US commercial market."

Goodbye, Gen4 in the US. Gen3 for Cali, and Gen5's. Doesn't matter much to me, but some do have Generational preferences!

16. trackstar55

trackstar55

GLOCK 40 10mm Gen5...........PLEASE

17. bigsteve113

bigsteve113

Here's something to ponder. Two G23 Gen 4's were horrible offenders. Neither one would ever make it through a mag without WML induced malfunctions (both flawless without WML).

During testing, and getting the guaranteed mid magazine FTF's (with these particular two G23's) with the WML attached, I kept the WML on them, popped in a LW .40-9mm conversion barrel, used G19 mags, and ran 100 9mm rounds through each one with zero malfunctions in either one.

Afterwards I ran 400 more rounds through one of those converted to 9mm G23's with the WML attached and had zero malfunctions.

Go figure.

18. shadowlands

shadowlands

19. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

Caught my eye as well. Has to be a typo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  20. GRR

GRR

Well that makes absolutely no sense. However, all my 40s have had a 40-9 conversion used in them. As I said, all have no issues with a light attached.

bigsteve113 likes this.