Gen 4 striker safety cam change...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cmspeedy, Feb 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. cmspeedy

cmspeedy

Anybody else notice that the trigger bar has been redesigned in the Gen 4 G17 and G22?

The striker safety cam now has a dimple on it similar to the one found in the G20, G21, G30, G29, and SF models.

It is obviously there to help prevent the trigger bar from deflecting too far towards the slide when it contacts the plunger.

I inspected my Gen 3 9mm's and none have this dimple, but only one of my guns deflects the trigger bar towards the slide when it hits the plunger - a G19. It still has what I consider a good trigger pull and still functions 100%.

Both of my 10mm's deflect and hit the dimple thus still engaging the striker safety correctly. Although on my G29SF the dimple still does not prevent the trigger bar from dragging on the slide. (Very poor quality control IMO).

My concern about the dimple is that it is peening the slide. I observed this on gen 4 G17 at the range yesterday with roughly 750 rounds through it. I had noticed it on my G29SF with about 400 rounds through it. I am familiar with the peening from the rails and it is no big deal, but the indention caused by the trigger bar raises upward into the channel on the slide where the rails ride - making the slide channels a few thousandths thinner in that spot. It could damage the rails IMO.

My gut tells me this will become a problem. Hopefully these are isolated cases or this wear will have no bearing on the function of the weapon. I will hold off on the Gen 4 G17 until I see a few reach some higher round counts.

Who else has seen this?

2. James Dean

James Dean

I wonder how many rounds Glock put threw the Gen 4 when testing the new design at the Factory?? I hope a lot.

3. Dingus

Dingus

25,000 rounds per pistol, 12 pistols in each caliber.

4. cmspeedy

cmspeedy

It really shocked me to once again see wear where no wear existed on previous generation Glocks.

At the range I have now seen G30SF's and G29SF's trigger bars interfere with the slide - front and rear (Every one - even brand new - it effects trigger pull), ejectors rubbing on the bottom of slides, divots on the barrel on the sides of the locking lugs where no contact used to exist (effecting barrel tilt), wear on the locking block where the barrel is hitting it on the sides, failures to cycle when loaded 10+1, and now the peen divot on the slide caused by the trigger bar (G29SF & Gen 4 G17).

If Glock doesn't improve things in a hurry they may lose some customers.

With this many contact points it may take 500,000 rounds to "break one in".

Looks like we may have to tweak our Glocks like 1911's soon. Not what I signed up for. - I'm hangin onto my money I have saved for a Gen 4 G17 until I check out a few more.

M&P's and XD's should move fast soon if this keeps up.

5. JBP55

JBP55

I just installed a Gen. 3 trigger bar and a - connector to bring the the trigger pull down to 4 # 10 OZ. from the original 6 # 2 OZ. I ran 300 flawless rounds yesterday and 300 more Today. The recoil is smooth but this gun has More felt recoil than any of my other 9mm Glocks which all have 15# ISMI springs installed on stainless guide rods. I was unable to rapid fire at Bass Pro.

6. cmspeedy

cmspeedy

Why did you change to the gen 3 trigger bar? Was the dimple creating friction and increasing your pull weight? Crunchy trigger?

So far I am not impressed with either the SF's or the Gen 4's, but what are your impressions, other than the recoil. Do you have the peen mark where the dimple hit your slide while cycling? The new trigger bar should stop it if so.

7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I, for one,.....am going to wait about a year or so before jumping on the Gen 4 Bandwagon.
    I want to see long term, end-user performance feedback. It's not that I don't TRUST Glock,
    it just seems they have become very Corperate minded in the last few years.
    They have aslo been having a ton of QC issues. Glock Perfection? NOT always!

8. cmspeedy

cmspeedy

Agreed - nowhere near perfection. With the qc issues I have seen with my own eyes I am very hesitant to buy any more glocks. Thank god I have plenty of old reliable models. Even with their high round count I trust them more than the currently produced models.

I really hope they get it right because up until about 2 years ago they were top notch! The sf models started their downward slide IMO.

9. JBP55

JBP55

I installed a Glockworx Fulcrum in my new Gen. 4 G17 before shooting it. I like the gun and it has no peen marks. You are welcome to shoot it if you like. I live in Walker and I am on Bayou Shooter with the same name. I think they will all have increased pull weight as the G21 SF does with the modified trigger housing and the dimple may not help matters. Before I took the gun home a local shooter working in the shop said "man did you try that trigger" referring to the heavy pull. I said it will not be that way very long.

10. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

Ive said it here on GT many times recently so no harm in doing it once more. Gaston Glock is not a small arms designer, nor has he ever been. The original design was not his either, although he may have laid out the basic criteria. He has done nothing but cash in on the original design by changing grip textures and light rails. Until he hires another small arms designer(again)to start from scratch with a new design, you'll just have more instances of "improvements" to the original design by people that had nothing to do with the original design team. This is also why after 25 years, we've had absolutely no more "revolutionary" designs, by a former curtain rod designer that miraculously "revolutionized" the industry. of small arms. Everyone just assumes that because someones name is on something that they designed it. The guys nothing more than a fraud with DEEP pockets and the company can be no more than a reflection of its owner.

11. cmspeedy

cmspeedy

Please tell us how you really feel Super!!!!

They are quickly getting passed up - no denying it.

Up until about 1 year ago I never would have considered defecting from Glock but now an HK45c looks to be in my future......

I can shoot .45 Super out of it can't I? No mods needed correct?

Do you have one? Do you like it?