Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been shooting for quite a while, mainly an Gen 4 19. I shoot better without any of the grip back straps but I always get the little cuts on the top of my hand from the bottom of the slide. After continuous shooting it hurts like a son of a B****. I've tried the back straps both the factory and aftermarket ones and I don't like how the change the length of pull, but they prevent the bite from the slide. Other than completely changing my grip, trust me I've tried, is there mods rather permanent or temporary that I can do? Does modding undercuts on the frame by the trigger guard help? Or grip reduction on the back of the frame relativity were the back straps would go help? I know that the big Glock modding companies like Agency Arms do such work but is it worth it and could something like that solve my problem?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
quick question, have you shot a Gen 3?

it may be that with the smaller grip of the Gen 4 and no back straps may be causing you to grip just slightly higher, I'm told the Gen 4 with the smaller back strap is equivalent of that of the Gen 3 frame but I've never compared them sider to side, try and find/rent a Gen 3 19 and run some rounds through it and see what happens, I'd do this before I starter making mods that may or may not work but are irreversible.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
You might rent a gen5 G-19, and find someone with a gen2 G-19.
Sounds like Grip too high but not sure about how to lower it just a Tad.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I can't recall hearing about Glock 19 slide bites. I would guess you must have very big hands. You want a high grip (which you apparently have), so my only suggestions is to go back to one of the backstraps that has more of a beavertail and shoot with it until you get comfortable with it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You mentioned distance to trigger. What about this... install the 2mm beavertail backstrap. Slide bite solved. Regarding the 2mm additional distance to trigger, where exactly does the backstrap rest on your palm heel? I've been working on rotating my strong hand a little forward (counter-clockwise) on the grip so the backstrap sits more on my palm "life line". This changes the old "gun in line with forearm" by moving the thumb a little closer to the backstrap. It also moves the trigger finger a little forward - closer to the trigger. This also moves my support hand a hair further back on the left side of the grip.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I had the problem with my Gen3 G22. On my Gen4 G17, I cut the medium beaver tail a little below the pin hole so the beaver tail protects my hand and I still have the benefit of the smaller grip. I saw it in a Frank Proctor video and it works great for me.

·
MacGyver
8,230 Posts
Your hand and grip arrangement is going to be different than others, so experiential input may be useless to you.
Which side of the slide is cutting you? Both?-- your hand might just be meaty in the slide area.

I have a very high grip, too, and have experienced bloodletting only during high speed tactical classes. One thing I do, is apply duct or athletic tape over the areas that tend to get bit during those training and range times. I have also use Grip Force adapters with good success-- no bites since. http://www.gripforceproducts.com/

In the 80's, I owned a Walther ppk that did that would cut me on every range trip, no matter what I did. The serration edges were like steak knives. I finally wised up and took a file to the lower edge of the slide and rounded out the contact area. Then sold the piece of crap.

Reactions: Leigh

·
MacGyver
8,230 Posts
You didn't say, but if this is a carry gun, I'd be slow to adopt any hacks for plinking at the range that differs from how you go about your daily routine.
Ahh...the purist.

But if you are training, don't you want the same experience when you use it in the real life situation?

If you have a handicap, don't you want the equipment to give you the best edge or at least make you whole --- ie modify your prosthetic so you can move as fast or faster than the other guy?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ahh...the purist.

But if you are training, don't you want the same experience when you use it in the real life situation?

If you have a handicap, don't you want the equipment to give you the best edge or at least make you whole --- ie modify your prosthetic so you can move as fast or faster than the other guy?
Huh? I don't understand your point. What part of my point do you disagree with?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I get slide bite on my compact G19/G23 Gen 3's. Its a function of how high your strong hand,and where your thumb placement is after you place your strong hand combined with where you put your support hand.

If you are placing your strong hand thumb over your support and filling the gap with some forward rotation to lock the support wrist, you may be driving your strong thumb upward with your support hand under recoil.

You can pretty much see where the slide height is as you grip. If its under the slide, then something is moving / loosening your grip. If its right up there to start, its your grip.

If you aren't willing to look at modified grip as you stated, you have little option but to either deal with it or try a backstrap option.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Some of you guys must have giant paws! I've been shooting handguns for about 50 years and have never been bit by the slide. Now scope bite with rifles....ouch!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well im 6'3" and 165Lbs-ish. Small hands. This is my EDC gun, but I also use it for 3D range use.

the image is showing the mark thought its not that visible in the pic as it is almost healed. But the mark is on the right side. I guess I could say that I have more meat on that side of my hand that would get into the way. I do use the M sized back strap with the beaver tail but it feels too big. I might try cutting the M sized one and seeing if that works. I just wish they made an S size backstrap with the beaver tail.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts