Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to purchase a 26. I looked at them and I can get the Gen 4 for $490 or the Gen 5 for $585. Do you think the Gen 5 is worth 95 more dollars?

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,215 Posts
No.

If you can wait for things to get back to normal you’ll be able to find a used Glock at a lot less than $490 as well, depending on where you live. I’ve only paid over $400 once for a Glock and I still got that one at less than blue label.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I am going to purchase a 26. I looked at them and I can get the Gen 4 for $490 or the Gen 5 for $585. Do you think the Gen 5 is worth 95 more dollars?
I would say no.
A. I HATE change even if it's for the better.
B. That's $90 I could spend on ammo or mags
C. There's nothing that gen5 will do that the gen4 can't do unless you are one of those weirdos that are left handed.

;)

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Gen5
https://www.lcaction.com/glock-g26-gen5-9mm-w-3-10rd-magazines

Gen4
https://www.lcaction.com/glock-26-gen4-9mm

In my area with "Blue Label" pricing, the price for either is the same at $425.
If a person doesn't normally get Blue Label pricing, the same/similar pricing can be obtained within a few weeks by joining GSSF for a minimum of 2 years to start.
See:
http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_Pistol_Purchase_Program_Information.pdf

The OP doesn't list the source or each gun's details to make an informed decision. I currently own and use a Gen3 for my G26 gun. After buying Gen5 to replace my earlier gen G17 and G19 guns, I'd say no to the G26Gen5, if all else are equal to the G26Gen4 in the OP.

Reactions: mevorhees

·
Registered
452 Posts
I own a G26.5 and I wish I had a gen 4. I like the finger grooves.

·
S. S. Squirrel
2,382 Posts
I wouldn't buy a 26, better options. But if you're dead set join GSSF for two years, get a purchase coupon this year and next for a discounted price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The prices I posted are from AAFES. I don't have the exact models of each.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I am intimately familiar with this topic. Can’t go wrong with either.
Most of the changes they made to the GEN five are actually ones you can’t see but help reliability in the long run. But, reliability of a GEN four is still more than about any of us would ever need.
The only functional differences you will notice are ( unless you’re left-handed )
1) The trigger is noticeably better on a GEN five but definitely not a dealbreaker or worlds better. And like most glocks, that can vary a little bit from Gun to Gun.
2) The marksman barrel really does help accuracy somewhat. I personally had measured with my GEN 4 26 at 2.42 inch groups at 25 yards. And I personally measured my GEN 5 26 at 1.9 inch groups at 25 yards. That’s rested and using a laser. ( and really struggling to keep things steady ) There’s actually a lot of information out there about how accurate these are. Does a half inch at 25 yards matter? Probably not. I can’t shoot good enough to make a difference .
3) I do like the GEN 5 finish better. Although I will say, the barrel really does look like it’s going to wear faster, but that’s not a problem. Everything I can gather says it’s just cosmetic.

And it’s possible you may notice some of the next points , But you’re not supposed to ...
3) I have seen and seen references, and my GEN 5 is one of them, that doesn’t like P mags, or GEN one mags. They’re not supposed to do this, and I just haven’t bothered to send mine back to Glock. Glock is not real keen on fixing a gun that doesn’t use a mag properly that’s not theirs, but the GEN ones actually are theirs and again they hesitate on rare occasion for me. I know some of them do this. I just don’t use those in this weapon. I’m pretty sure most of them don’t do this.
4) they had a problem very early on where the throat was a little short and they would fail the “ plunk test “. I think that’s fixed now though and probably is not gonna be an issue for you. That was only for GEN five, and mine doesn’t have that problem.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It is probably worth it to me to have no finger grooves, but that is just me.

In my neck of the woods, Gen4 is $499 and Gen5 is $539- plus sales tax on both so only $40 different.

I like the recessed crown and as I said, the lack of grooves. I could do without the ambi slide release. I personally have no preference as to the trigger between 3,4, and 5.

·
19,034 Posts
Just remove the bumps on the finger grooves and leave the factory checkering between the bumps without stippling on a gen 4 and you will have 90 percent of the improvements of the Gen 5 over the gen 4 without any of the drawbacks like the ambi slide release which even a lot of left handed people don't like.

·
Banned
547 Posts

Reactions: mevorhees

·
Banned
6,432 Posts
Gen 5 for me please, the lack of finger grooves really helped me, those prices are not the best, but all you will need are night sights and you ar good to go!
I never liked the trigger on Gen4 Glock's and Gen5 triggers are the best!
Can't go wrong with the 26!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
One other thing that just occurred to me, if you get a GEN five you could order with Glock night sights, or Ameriglo bold sites.
I like the bold sites myself and it’s definitely worth the 80 bucks or so upgrade. Cheaper than buying a GEN four and adding the sites.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Post_7 indicates "AAFES" (Army and Air Force Exchange Service).
Does this indicate the OP would qualify for "Blue Label" pricing from an authorized Glock dealer? I don't know.

If so, traveling to a Blue Label dealer could be possible, but the buyer will need to factor in the time & travel expense to that Blue Label dealer, which could negate much of the savings.

As with any "which gun should I buy" thread, the simplest answer is to buy both, but always at a good/reasonable price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts