gen 4, no trigger pull to remove slide?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by duckintheface, Feb 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. duckintheface

duckintheface

I read on another thread that the gen 4 models do not require a trigger pull to remove the slide. Is there a de-cocker on the gen 4s? How does this work?

2. G27 Guy

G27 Guy

I have to admit I am very new to Glocks. I would think that I have a gen 4 seeing as how I just bought it 2 weeks ago. But mine does require the trigger to be pulled to remove the slide. But like I said, I'm not sure what gen I have. But its brand new sooooo.....

3. Larry V

Larry V

Trigger Pull Is not required on Gen 4 or 3!!!!!

4. SawgrassRaven

SawgrassRaven

:dunno:

On Gen. 3?

Really?

5. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

I'm putting an end to this right now. Trigger pull is required on all Glock pistols in order to field strip. This includes the Gen 4. I've handled and broken down a Gen 4, and the system hasn't changed. All safety rules apply.

6. G27 Guy

G27 Guy

I understand I'm new and I don't want to step on any toes, but the trigger needs to be back or that slide ain't coming off. At least mine doesn't.

7. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

Not necessarily. Gen 4 just came out and is currently only available in G22 and G17. G19 and G23 are next, followed by the rest of the line. Release dates are still up in the air; anyone who tells you they know a firm release date is lying to you.

8. G27 Guy

G27 Guy

K, I have the 27 so 3rd gen then.

9. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Wow!
    Wonder if Butch or Danny are around.
    :wow:

10. Brucev

Brucev

"Gen 4, no trigger pull to remove slide?" With respect, why should it matter? Specifically why would Glock want to make such a change to the design? The current design is well proven. If in handling the pistol, one uses common sense basic to all safe gun handling protocol, there will never be a problem. If one fails to follow such protocols common to any safe handling of any firearm, then the result will in every case be an eventual tragedy.

When handled correctly I've not ever seen a firearm in good working order discharge itself. My brother was a full-time LEO for 20 years. He described ND's by officers who failed to properly handle their weapons. But I can not ever recall that he ever experienced an incident where a weapon discharged itself. In every instance, the ND was always due to the failure of the officer.

In flying it is understood that one must pay particular attention to the basic rules of flight... for the consequences of ignoring those basic rules can be exceptionally severe for oneself as well as other persons. The same is true of operating a motorcycle, car, etc. In summary, would changing the design constitute an improvement or would it simply reflect accommodation of poor/careless handling practices? Sincerely. Brucev.

11. HexHead

HexHead

If it's a Gen4 it will clearly state that on the slide next to the model number. And it would have come with interchangeable backstraps. And have a double recoil spring assembly.

12. Scott in Houston

Scott in Houston

That would be a stupid change IMO. Since it's required on all previous Generations and most people are going to own both 3rd and 4th Generation guns for a long time, to have them field strip differently would be a PITA and likely a liability for people getting 'confused' on which requires the trigger pull or not.

13. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

In order to get the slide off a functioning Glock pistol the trigger must be in released, fully to the rear. While you don't have to hold the trigger back while disassembling, it must be released. If not, slide is not coming off.

There have been no changes from day one regarding this.

[​IMG]

above: trigger reset, must be released prior to slide removal.

[​IMG]

trigger released, slide will come off

14. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 NRA Benefactor

*respectfully* Please don't respond if you don't know what your talking about.

All Glock models require the trigger to be pulled to remove the slide. The slide is held on in 2 locations, the slide lock and the striker engaged to the trigger bar. Once the trigger is pulled and disengaged from the striker, the only thing left holding the slide to the frame is the slide lock.

15. SawgrassRaven

SawgrassRaven

Darn Larry, I was wanting to hear the technical explanation of how it's not required!

:rofl:

:faint:

16. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

It's so Jet Li doesn't come up and snatch your slide off without getting shot...

17. ravenkeeper98

Technically you can remove the slide without pulling the trigger, lock the slide back, then remove the back plate, remove the firing pin assembly. Unlock the slide, then pull down on the slide lock, off it comes. I'm pretty sure that is not what the OP or the other stating that Gen3 or 4 don't require the trigger to be pulled, since this can be done on any generation Glock.

:cool:

I'd like to hear from that poster (Larry V) as to how it is accomplished as well....

:popcorn:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  18. Mhiett

Mhiett God is Love.

19. ravenkeeper98

**Update**

Just tried to field strip my Gen 4 G17 without pulling the trigger with firing pin assembly still installed......

Guess what????

It still didn't move off the slide until the trigger was pulled

:whistling:

Best piece of advice....I know this goes against Man Law, but read the instructions....