close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 4...no like.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Magus, Feb 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

Had a chance to play around with a Gen4 G17 today at my local gun dealer's shop.

Gotta say, I don't like it.

Only thing I found superior to the Gen3's was possibly the dual recoil spring system. I can see how this would certainly take up some recoil and help with accuracy and follow up shots.

Beyond that though, the Gen4's seem more gimmicky to me than anything else. The adjustable back straps? What's the point really? Most people are going to stick with whatever the default strap is. The default strap is pretty much spec with Gen 3 frames...which for most were comfortable as is. Having options is certainly a nice thing, but in this case, I really feel it's kinda moot. The other two straps didn't really feel all that different from the one installed at the factory...so again...I kinda have to ask...what's the point?

The frame texture is okay. Too rough for my taste. It's definitely not as rough as a RTF model but I didn't find that it gave me any better grip on the pistol than a standard Gen3 frame did. Honestly to me, the Gen4 G17 felt kinda blocky in my hand especially around the front strap. The Gen3 feels a little more rounded to me....more comfortable.

To me, the Gen4's just seem like change for the sake of change rather than any true innovation or needed upgrade.

I'm sticking with my Gen3's and hope they don't phase them out entirely...my gun dealer agreed.

Having said all this, I'm sure the Gen4's are fine pistols and just as durable and reliable as any Glock out there. The changes though, just seem pointless and I don't care for them.

2. G-Lock808

G-Lock808

the default strap is smaller than the gen 3's, an sf version.

the point would be shortening the frame for people with smaller hands that are not comfortable with the gen3 glock grip. if you dont like the short frame you install a larger backstrap.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010

3. jk659

jk659

What Glock could have done that would make some of us happy, is also add replaceable front straps since they went to replaceable back straps, that at least would be more options for the shooter who does not like stock finger grooves since all finger grooves do not fit all hands. That is my biggest complaint.

4. G-Lock808

G-Lock808

personally, it would have been nice if they eliminated them all together.

5. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

I agree with that. Some models the finger grooves feel great. Some don't fit me at all because I have large hands. I've had a G19 for many years now and actually buffed down the finger grooves so it fit my hand better. The full size models I have no issue with though. The Gen4 G17 I handled today though felt so blocky and uncomfortable in my hand. The finger grooves were digging into my fingers....they just don't line up for me, whereas my Gen3 fits like a glove...go figure.

6. RFPhoto

RFPhoto

The grip is smaller on the Gen4's and is a welcome addition. I like the Gen 4's and cant wait until they produce the G35/34's.

7. jk659

jk659

On my G27(which I love btw) I can't stand the finger grooves, they dig into my fingers and it's certainly not comfortable. I now have to send it off to get some grip reduction work done. I think it would have been innovative for Glock to go from nothing, to having both the front and backstraps removable, I had high hopes Glock would add removable front straps to stop the finger grooves from digging into some of us with fat hands:crying::rofl:.

8. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987

No offense. But isn't that Glock? When I think of Glock. Finger grooves are part of the package. Its like. Removing the sauce from a Big Mac.
    Why order one? My humble opinion..

M

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  9. JoeInKS

JoeInKS

I do so hope that there is a high level Glock management person who reads this......

Please make the front strap replaceable. I too hate the groove positions on some of the odels as well as the texture that is on them. It would be a great benefit not only to Glock but to the aftermarket world if they gave the user the option to select whatever best fits them. Sure, come out with a basic 1 / 2 front strap options as a standard and then the aftermarket vendors come up with the varied additional choices. This is the last area where Glock fails from the perspective of having the most adaptable weapon available.

10. TexasVine

TexasVine

I handled the Gen 4 yesterday. I am open to change, but with that being said, I like the feel of the grip on the Gen 3 better.

11. JoleBole

JoleBole Mr.Glock

Obviosly if Glock did whatever people wanted it would't be a Glock anymore. But they did some changes that people had addressed to Glock in the past:

1.People that compleined that the RTF was too rough (it was), now got better not so rough texture. I like it.
    2. People wanted changeable back straps (some didn't) so here we go, you got 'em. For those who wanted the dafault grip, just install the the first backstrap.
    3. People were installing extended mag release - you don't have to anymore. The new one works awesome.

12. James Dean

James Dean

I handled both at a gun shop. I think the mag release on a Gen 4 is much better than a Gen 3. I also like the grip better on a Gen 4. I don't know about the recoil spring yet because I didn't get a chance to shoot the G17 gen 4 yet.

13. LEAD

LEAD

To us newcomers maybe, ealiest glocks had no grooves. I like the fingergrooves myself. I don't think anyone buys a glock simply for the fingergrooves or a bigmac only for the sauce. You buy a glock becasue of numerous features like reliability, durability accuracy consistancy. You buy Bigmac because you lack taste or money.

14. JoleBole

JoleBole Mr.Glock

Or if you wanna be FAT :supergrin:

15. sargespd

sargespd

The problem I see with a replaceable frontstrap is that it would either have to increase the overall thickness of the front of the grip, to accommodate a panel insert, or have an entire section of the frontstrap completely removable, which would weaken the grip frame in that area. The first option would change the front to back dimensions of the grip, which I suppose could be mitigated by the design of the replaceable backstraps. The second, I'm not sure how it would be accomplished. I seem to be one of the relative few who likes the finger grooves and for whom they fit just fine.

16. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Glock has started down a road of no return.
    Trying to be all things to all shooters.
    :supergrin:

17. JBP55

JBP55

G4 is the Best Glock ever made.

18. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I will say I always wondered why people fuss over the finger grooves on the Glocks. That's what I've predominately been shooting for the past few years but I recently picked up a couple of M&Ps and the lack of finger grooves is probably my favorite attribute of the Smith over the Glock (they both have their pluses and minuses.)

19. hamburger

hamburger

I just bought 2 different 3rd generation Glocks recently. I'm trying to convince myself that the 4th Gen is just a gimmick because I don't have the funds to replace my 2 with 2 more.:crying:

20. oISHUTupNrocKIo

oISHUTupNrocKIo Glock Lover

3rd Gen is better... nuff said.