Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped at a local shop and found a nice model 23, gen 4. It came with the box, paperwork, 2 13rd mags. It's a 2014 model I assume from the spent shell envelope.
I got it for $350, OTD.
And, for the 2nd week in a row, we've had nice weather through the work week, but the weekend looks like a snow storm again. Which will be gone by Monday but I'll be back at work.
It seems 40's still sell slow, there are deals out there they don't offer on 9's and 45's.

·
Mr. Awesome
12,474 Posts
What kind of condition is it in?

Reactions: potmetal

·
Registered
494 Posts
Just don’t attach a WML to it and expect full reliability. Only Gen 3/4 .40 cal Glock I would purchase would be the G27.

I own a Gen 5 23 MOS. I haven’t test fired it with a WML yet. I’m hoping the noticeably heavier & thicker slide will address the frame flexing with WML attached issues the Glock footays were notorious for and I don’t trust the various bandaid measures of stronger mag springs, etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The gun is in good shape. I'll try to get pics tomorrow. It also has Talon grips, the black rubber texture. They feel good on it and the grip is good.
I don't plan to put anything on it, and I only shoot factory ammo. I'm hoping for good service from it.
Thanks for all the comments guys.

·
Mr. Awesome
12,474 Posts
Just don’t attach a WML to it and expect full reliability. Only Gen 3/4 .40 cal Glock I would purchase would be the G27.

I own a Gen 5 23 MOS. I haven’t test fired it with a WML yet. I’m hoping the noticeably heavier & thicker slide will address the frame flexing with WML attached issues the Glock footays were notorious for and I don’t trust the various bandaid measures of stronger mag springs, etc.
Damn near every thread involving a .40 S&W GLOCK gets a post on this. It’s so notorious most people have only read about it, on the internet. I’m not saying some people didn’t have issues. They have been documented. However, the issue has been greatly blown out of proportion. When I started, in LE, the .40 S&W was the caliber issued/carried. The vast majority were GLOCKs.

In a dozen years, dealing with multiple agencies from multiple States, I never heard a first-hand account of this issue.

Regardless of a platform’s history, each individual weapon system needs vetted, before carry.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Please allow me to know what you know about wml causing unreliability. I've never heard of this issue before and I have an Olight mini on my G17.5.
I didn't think it could cause a malfunction. I guess I am wrong. I'm curious what you know.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Please allow me to know what you know about wml causing unreliability. I've never heard of this issue before and I have an Olight mini on my G17.5.
I didn't think it could cause a malfunction. I guess I am wrong. I'm curious what you know.
It had something to do with the G22 and G23 having cycling problems with a WML on these guns. There was some police departments having these issues. I don’t remember if it was gen3‘s or gen4’s. Your G17.5 should be fine but it’s always smart to test your gun with the WML.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Damn near every thread involving a .40 S&W GLOCK gets a post on this. It’s so notorious most people have only read about it, on the internet. I’m not saying some people didn’t have issues. They have been documented. However, the issue has been greatly blown out of proportion. When I started, in LE, the .40 S&W was the caliber issued/carried. The vast majority were GLOCKs.

In a dozen years, dealing with multiple agencies from multiple States, I never heard a first-hand account of this issue.

Regardless of a platform’s history, each individual weapon system needs vetted, before carry.
I’m guilty of this. I read it on the internet. Having said that, there is a major WML manufacturer stating on their FAQ section issues regarding Gen 3/4 guns and from what I understand, the Glock fix was incorporating stronger magazine springs which may work for a time, the spring takes a set and the issues MAY reoccur.

Sorry if I jumped to any conclusions.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It isn’t a known issue on 9mm and perhaps other caliber Glocks outside the .40 S&W chambering. When a clamp style WML is attached to the Gen 3/4 G22/23, if stiffens up the frame under recoil and doesn’t flex enough, causing the lighter Gen 3/4 G23/22 slide to outrun the magazine springs.

Glock made some changes. However, from what I’ve read, you get one that works with a WML or not, and that the stronger mag springs may only work reliably for a time and then the problems may reoccur.

The Gen 4 attempted to fix this known issue by using a stronger magazine spring and incorporating the dual recoil spring. However, this “fix” was hit or miss with several well known police agencies.

I believe the Gen 5 23/22 with the larger and heavier slide was the only real solution and required new tooling and not just because of the single pin frame design of the Gen 5.

Having said all that, I still love the G27 Gen 3 or 4 with the much lighter slide.

·
I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.
1,949 Posts
The Gen 4 attempted to fix this known issue by using a stronger magazine spring and incorporating the dual recoil spring. However, this “fix” was hit or miss with several well known police agencies.
The only problem I've heard with the Gen4 .40s and WMLs is with a member here who said his agency experienced jams when officers were firing pretty much straight up into a attic. I'm not sure why a vertical orientation would make a difference, but I also must say that I never had cause to shoot my Gen4 22 vertically. Otherwise, the Gen4 fixed the WML issue from what I can tell.

Nice score on that 23.4.

·
King Doofus.
6,140 Posts
Yup. I just pulled the trigger on a Glock 31.4 because of sentimental reasons. 😂
Right now, I have one for each hand, and one in a pocket..... but I have 3 more empty pockets. :D
A few years ago I foolishly sold off my beloved ODG framed G23.4 to a friend. Hopefully, it will be returning home soon.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I found one a while back for 400 OTD, came with the box and 3 mags. In near new condition from the looks of it, it gets carried as a duty gun in my court security job. You done well, I love mine.

·
Mr. Awesome
12,474 Posts
I’m guilty of this. I read it on the internet. Having said that, there is a major WML manufacturer stating on their FAQ section issues regarding Gen 3/4 guns and from what I understand, the Glock fix was incorporating stronger magazine springs which may work for a time, the spring takes a set and the issues MAY reoccur.

Like I said. It is a documented issue. It’s reach has been greatly exaggerated.

No matter what firearm, light, ammo, etc you choose, that individual unit combination needs vetted. Regardless of prior experience or reputation of the models.

My issue is with it being brought up is just that the documented units with failures were from nearly a decade ago. Even in that time period (a few years), the vast majority of units were not adversely impacted. Yet, damn near every thread talking about a GLOCK in .40 S&W gets a comment on it.

I appreciate your reply back.

Streamlight was the manufacturer you mentioned. My G22.4 was built early 2013, which was a time this issue was being reported (from 2010-2013ish). Since the first time I took it out of the box, new, to today, it’s always had a TLR-1s on it, when fired. New mags or my very old dedicated training mags all work. The only issues I’ve had have been shooter induced (to practice training malfunctions). The same can be said for every LEO, at that agency, that carries a WML. They are still carrying those G22.4’s. Around that time, the PD got new G22’s. Again, no one there knows anything about these issues, when I’ve asked (they switched to 9mm, a couple of years ago). Same can be said for the Highway Patrol Troopers I knew who carried G22’s.

Here is a link to the Streamlight paper:

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

It would be nice if the paper was dated.

·
Mr. Awesome
12,474 Posts
It had something to do with the G22 and G23 having cycling problems with a WML on these guns. There was some police departments having these issues. I don’t remember if it was gen3‘s or gen4’s. Your G17.5 should be fine but it’s always smart to test your gun with the WML.

The only problem I've heard with the Gen4 .40s and WMLs is with a member here who said his agency experienced jams when officers were firing pretty much straight up into a attic. I'm not sure why a vertical orientation would make a difference, but I also must say that I never had cause to shoot my Gen4 22 vertically. Otherwise, the Gen4 fixed the WML issue from what I can tell.

Nice score on that 23.4.
If you want to dig into this, check out this thread:

I linked to page 5, where it starts. Feel free to start at the beginning. There have been other threads, but this one is oretty recent and had a lot of different viewpoints.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts