close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 4 less than perfect

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by dcs21sf, Aug 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Sucks that it happened to you. But don't blame all gen4 9mm's.. My gen4 19 has been flawless with many different rounds (wwb, federal, fiocchi, speer gd, speer lawmen, reloads, tula ammo, and monarch brass for 1300rnds..

what recoil spring do you have?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. unit1069

unit1069

There are so many reports of Gen 4 problems that I'm beginning to think Kahr or Kel-Tec or Taurus or Lorcin or ... bought Glock when nobody was looking.

3. J_P

J_P

I just recently started having problems with my Gen 4 Glock 19 i may have to call glock to get the new RSA i think the lastest one is the 0-4-3 i have the 0-4 i dont think it is RSA realated more extrator or maybe just weak ammo related i just recently started having FTE issues with Federal and Remington but WWB has been flawless

4. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

Don't tell me that.I have shot 475 mostly cheap,assorted rounds through my Gen 4 17 without any issues.Over 1000 through my Gen 4 26,same deal.None of it has been Federal.But yesterday I bought 2000 rounds of Federal 115 gr. FMJ.

5. bruzer

bruzer

Call Glock and get the new recoil spring. Sorry to hear of your problems but I sure hope Glock will take care of you.
    Mike

6. surfdog

surfdog

Here is the source of my post: http://glock.pro/showthread.php/2015-Availability-of-Gen4-G34

At least some believe that problems with the 34's recoil assembly is the reason it has not been released here. And that makes sense to me.

7. CBH

CBH

It has the 04 spring.

8. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Yup, same as what I have.

9. sigchaser723

sigchaser723

The problem is that glock screwed up. Rather then adding a removable back strap and stopping there for the 9mm they went and messed with a system that worked better then any in the industry. The 40 was always the week link and now its the 9mm eventually glock will realize what most already know they need very different recoil springs. I love the feel of the Gen 4 guns but wont buy one anytime soon maybe in a few years when they get sorted out.

10. RetailNinjitsu

RetailNinjitsu

It seems like Glock reversed their problems...

They created an awesome 9mm...then adapted the platform for the .40 SW. The .40 had a handful of problems with frame flex and slide speeds...

Now they built an awesome .40, then modified it to fire 9mm...now the 9mm guns are having issues with the heavier ".40 springs".

I am extremely satisfied with my Gen4 .40s but I understand the frustration of all you 9mm guys...

11. brianr34

brianr34

I had a similar experience with a G17 Gen4. I had good luck with a G19 Gen3, however I really enjoyed how the G17 Gen4 felt. During IDPA matches, I would have a few failures. I considered this unacceptable.

I changed to the G17 RTF2 and have been very happy. Not a single failure and the grip texture feels great. I just wish Glock had made a G34 RTF2.

I have even had first time shooters try my G17 RTF2 and there has not been any failures.

I really like the Gen3 reliability and simple design, but I wish Glocks felt better ergonomically. (ie M&P)

12. Shasta McNasty

Shasta McNasty

that's just more of the same internet lore lol "he said, she said" nonsense :rofl:

13. tantor

tantor

I have had no problems with either of my Glocks (17 or 26) both gen 4. By the way, where is the # on the RSA?

BC from KY

14. surfdog

surfdog

"Nonsense"? Au contraire. It makes all the sense in the world.

Now of course, if you can cite a Glock source as to "the real reason' the 34's release is delayed, I'd like to hear it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  15. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

I have an older 34 and an older 17 and I can feed them ANY factory ammo and they NEVER jam.

I bugs me when I hear that the answer is to shoot different ammo. If I prefer a certain ammo for defense use, or a certain ammo for range use, I shouldnt have to sell off my stockpile of ammo because one of my Glocks wont function with it.

Between "try different ammo" and "your limp wristing it", it is no wonder than the XDM and M&P's are gaining ground on Glock. You dont have those problems with them.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  16. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Exactly. I have a Gen 4 Glock 22. No problems to speak of. I wonder if the problem could be low powered ammunition in a gun that was designed to be a combat firearm and not a match paper puncher with underpowered ammo? I bet the Gen 4 9mm guns run fine with full power +p combat ammo without needing a weaker recoil assembly. :whistling:

17. ku4hx

ku4hx

Model 19 Gen4 (RSA 041) approaching the 1,000 round mark with nary a hitch.

18. Wickersham

Wickersham

Yes, but you will probably see a loss. Used Gen 4s go about $75-100 less than a used Gen 3 around here because people don't want the headache and it usually takes some patience to move them.

19. GellyNose

GellyNose

From what I've read the extractors in the 9mm Gen 4 has some design changes versus the Gen 3. I can't remember which thread it was, but someone had done extensive research on 9mm reliability between the generations and reported their findings to Glock.

20. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

Since Gen 3 is still being produced, arent they using the same extractor as the Gen 4