close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 4 less than perfect

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by dcs21sf, Aug 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. dcs21sf

dcs21sf

I sold a perfectly good G21 in order to buy a G17. I shot maybe a couple thousand rounds through my G21 and several hundred through my G36. I have witnessed many glock shooters at IDPA and GSSF. I was under the impression that Glocks were damn near flawless. I have never had one single malfunction, that is, until I bought the Gen 4 G17. One hundred fifty to two hundred rounds in to the steel match I had five failures to eject and one more later in the day.

I have done some reading, after the fact, and see the only guidance is to buy different ammo. The reason I bought Glock was to not have to worry about the thing going bang. I am pretty sick over having what must be a substandard glock. If buy new ammo is the only fix, that is pretty weak.

Then I read Sevigny bailed. What is the world coming to? I'm not feeling great about the whole experience.

The spring is the 0 2 3 version. Is there a way to trade this Gen 4 for a almost new Gen 3?

2. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo

I'm sorry you had problems...particularly during a match. Many folks are happy with their Gen 4's, but there have obviously been significant recoil spring issues.
    You should be able to trade that gun to someone here in Classified. Like you, I've been delighted with my Gen 3's, and would be somewhat shocked if my guns wouldn't operate properly.
    Sonnytoo

3. FergieRay

FergieRay

gen 4 g23 200 rds. 0 failures

4. tonyparson

tonyparson

The problem is not with the Gen 4 G23, its with the Gen 4 9mm..:thumbsup:

5. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

You will probably get someone on here blaming you, saying that you must be "limp wristing" it.

Fact is that some of the Gen 4 and recent Gen 3 are not as reliable apparently due to RSA's and extractor issues. Not all of them, but some of them.

I think this has tarnished Glocks reputation. Used to be Glocks were boringly reliable.

A friend of mine just bought an XDM 5.25 instead of a Glock because he has lost confidence in Glock.

6. seancares

seancares

exactly

the 'fix' is a new recoil spring assembly

but the best thing you can do, after replacing that, is 'hoping' the problem is fixed

i personally dont put hope in firearms. i put faith in them. steer clear of gen4 9mm. maybe gen 4 altogether :shrug:

glock stepped up, and failed. back to the drawing board

*enjoys gen3*

7. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

Try a Lone Wolf extractor or polish the OEM one before you give up and trade. My Gen4 G19 had a few stovepipes when I first got it. I polished the extractor my stovepipes went away. Subsequently, I installed a LW extractor, which seemed to fit better, and with about 1,000 rounds since the initial stovepipes, I've not had a single issue.

8. alabaster

alabaster Swollen Member

Daang. I wanted a Gen4 34, too. Scrap that if they're big suck now.

9. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

The above is the best advice that can be given as far as fixing it your self. There is a huge multi page topic about this issue.

As far as trading it in there is no way to do that at least not thought Glock. I would not waste the money or time sending it back to Glock. Most the people who have had your issue and sent them back just get a note saying tested no problem found or there told to use different ammo.

I think your best bet if you do decide to get rid of it would be to sell it out right instead of trying to trade it in. I know it sucks knowing your taking a hit for poor QC from a company. I don't think trading it in to a dealer would be worth your time most the ones around me will not except newer Gen3 or Gen4 9mm guns. This is due to reliability issues with them I am told. There is one or two dealers that will but they low ball the price. The last time I checked with one of them I was offered 150 cash.

10. jack76590

jack76590

First, I don't own or have even fired a Gen 4. But I like the feel of grip at the gunshop, so am following with interest these threads.

So what I say is pure speculation. But if the Gen 4 recoil spring in 9mm models is part of the problem, why not try one of those $10 adaptors that let you use a Gen 3 recoil spring. I have never heard anyone state a Gen 3 in 9mm was under sprung or that the Gen 3 had excessive battering.

So I really don't envision a Gen 3 RSA in a Gen 4 would result in damage to the gun. And $10 for an adaptor is about the cost of a box of 9mm range ammo. Of course the Gen 3 RSA is another under $10 item, if you don't have one.

11. SystemaEncephale

SystemaEncephale

I've owned a G19 Gen 3, and currently only own a G27 and G23, both Gen 4. To be honest, I have not had one malfunction out of the 500+ rounds from the G23 and 100 from the G27 (Hey, it is fairly new). My gen 3 19 however, suffered from a few stove pipes from time to time.

I recommend getting a Lonewolf extractor. If you want to sell it, try doing it over Gunbroker and putting a $400 on it or so, or making an add here on GlockTalk. In GA, each time I've gone to sell a Glock I've been offered $300.

12. Cira

Cira

So weird how hit or miss people's experience is with the Gen 4 9mms.

I took my Gen 4 17 out of the box, wiped it down with Break Free and applied a coat of grease. I've run it through 6 IDPA matches and 2 Steel challenge matches and my weekly practice session and never cleaned it and never had a malfunction. I run a pretty light (just makes IDPA floor) 147gr handload.

13. Chigurh

Chigurh

This will all get worked out. Not because it is Glock, but because it is maybe the largest purveyor of LE firearms in the world. Seems to be taking a damnded long while, and the umpteen RSA latest solutions are giving the hater's much needed ammo.
    BTW
    Not so sure why Glock felt the 9mm had to be "tamed" with some exotic RSA, or maybe more accurately, a onesizefitsall spring. Even I, at 60, with some joint pain, can shoot that caliber 'til the gun melts.
    Put 100 through an LC9 12 days ago, and felt no pain. BTW, there is the single stack you have all been waiting for. Way too many Kali friendly features, warnings, manual safety, but the sum***** shoots.

14. surfdog

surfdog

Well.... The fact that the Gen4 Glock 34 9MM, designed and targeted for IPSC competition, was abruptly recalled and yanked from the marketplace, should tell you something.

No one, including Ed's Public Safety (Major Glock distributor and #1 Glock dealer in GA) has any clue when they will be re-released (just checked with them again today).

15. Shasta McNasty

Shasta McNasty

nice story.

the truth is, the gen4 34 was never released in the US. it was released, the slide recalled, and sent back to customers already in europe.

ed's, along with everyone else in america, has no clue when it's coming out here. :cool:

16. 8th ID

8th ID

Sorry to hear your G17 isn't running. From what i've read and experienced it is a hit or miss thing. My brother-in-law has a Gen4 G17 and it has had some issues. I don't know what RSA# it has. My Gen4 G19 has been through 905 flawless rounds, including one IDPA match. Mine has an 0-4 spring. Hope you get it running or find you a reliable Gen3.

17. voyager4520

voyager4520

02-4 is the latest version, call Glock and ask for one.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1360730

Besides the guide rods and ammo, all of the latest Glocks can have out-of-spec or "tight" extractors. They changed the manufacturing process somehow, some speculate it's MIM.

Also the ejectors seem pretty inconsistent as of late. The face of the tip can be oriented in different directions, several people here have reported changing only the ejector w/trigger housing and having no more malfunctions. I'm about to try that in my Gen3 G27 which has slightly erratic ejection because the face of the tip of the ejector is oriented in the opposite direction than that of my Gen3 G23 which ejects fine.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  18. dvrdwn72

dvrdwn72

Problem seems to be 9mm specific, on some anyway. No issues at all on my .40's

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  19. Philman911

Philman911 Philman911

I have had a G17 Gen 4 since the fall of 2010. I have yet to have any issues. Sorry to hear you are having issues. I hope you get it fixed and find it as easy to use as mine. Good luck.

20. CBH

CBH

Okay....I'll throw my 2 cents in.
    I just got a spankin' new Gen 4 G19 yesterday. :supergrin: I went to the closest Walmart to buy what I always shoot....Winchester white box 115 grain ammo, but they were out. Reluctantly, I bought the only thing they had..(because I just had to shoot the new gun)...Federal ammo. :whistling:
    I was not surprised to get 6 or 8 stovepipes out of the 100 shots that I fired. Today I bought some Winchester. Over 100 rounds shot and no malfunctions at all. The gen 4 feels good in my hand. I'll be making a video in the next day or two.