close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 4 Glock 35 Review

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by plouffedaddy, Aug 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

[​IMG]
    Here's a quick synopsis of what I've found through a little over 1k rounds through my Gen 4 G35:

Pros:
    -Reliable (despite the internet lore, I have never seen any issues personally with Gen4 40 caliber Glocks)
    -Accurate (more accurate than 99% of the shooters that will own one)
    -Durable (I'm pleasantly surprised with the lack of finish wear on the inside of this gun, the newer Glock finish is holding up well)
    -Easy to maintain
    -TONS of aftermarket support; especially competition sights if you are looking to use this gun competitively
    -Accepts 15, 17, and 22 round factory magazines
    -Similar in size to a full size 1911, yet has increased capacity and is lighter (I realize it's a different caliber, just pointing that out as not to start a caliber war)
    -Glock's customer service is second to none
    -Cheap replacement parts, should you ever need them
    -Low Bore Axis resulting in a relatively soft shooting gun
    -Easily modified to fit the shooters' preferences
    -Requires very little cleaning/lubrication to run reliably (that said, clean your guns!)
    -Comes with 3 mags standard

Cons:
    -I'm not a fan of the design of the Gen4 backstrap system
    -Very little to no magwells on the market that can be used with the backstraps
    -More expensive than the standard size Glock pistols
    -I dislike the factory adjustable sights

Let me just say that I personally think the 40 caliber cartridge is the most difficult (of the major handgun calibers) for new shooters to shoot well. Being able to master the 'snappy' recoil of the cartridge takes time, repetition, and proper fundamentals. It's not that it's terribly difficult, I just feel it's more difficult than either 9mm or 45ACP.

Enough of my diatribe---moving on.... Here's a video with some shooting on steel plates from the 12m line, the 40m (really 38m but I round up so it seems more impressive) line, a table top discussion with a demonstration of disassembly/assembly and a size comparison to a standard 1911, G22, and G23 followed lastly by a chronograph test:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr9PDB97WXg"]Gen 4 Glock 35 Review (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

Chronograph results:

Winchester Ranger 135gr JHPs: 1208fps, 437 ft/lbs energy
    Federal HST 165gr Bonded JHPs: 1114fps, 455 ft/lbs energy​
    Federal HST 180gr JHPs: 1095fps, 479 ft/lbs energy

[​IMG]

2. Hognutz

Hognutz

Nice review! I have the 35 in Gen.3, and really like it. It is way more more accurate that I am. Nicely done!!

3. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

[​IMG]

I've been competing with a Gen4 35 since December 2010. It just keeps running and running.

4. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

That is sweet. I'm waiting until someone solves the "how to put a heavy magwell on a Gen4 with backstraps" problem. Maybe one day..:faint:

5. bac1023

bac1023

Very nice review

Thanks for the info. :)

6. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

Nice review. Only issue with mine (just crested 600 rounds) is it will occasionally not hold the slide open on an empty mag (happens on multiple mags.) I'm going to throw a new slide stop on it and see what happens. I'm also impressed on the finish. My Gen 3 35 showed holster wear pretty quickly and none that I can notice on my Gen 4 so far.

7. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

When I first saw the finish I thought it was going to suck since the old finish Glock used had been so great but I've been pleasantly surprised---especially on the barrel. My other 40S&W Glocks had 'smilies' after only 100 rounds or so but this one has 10x that number of rounds and isn't showing much wear at all....