close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 4 G23 range report and frustration with Remington ammo

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bunk22, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. bunk22

bunk22

I'm liking shooting the .40 S&W more and more but a frustrated toady but I think it was the Remington ammo only. I shot the following:

100 rounds of Remington 180gr JHP
    100 rounds of Federal White Box 180gr FMJ
    50 rounds of Speer Lawman 180gr FMJ
    10 rounds of Speer GD 180gr JHP

The only issues were with the Remington, had 8-9 FTF's. Easy fix, looked like the rounds were getting hung up on the feeding ramp. Happened the other day with a Blazer round as well. The hang-ups occurred in both magazines I was using today. With the other stuff, zero issues. No FTF, FTE, or brass to the face. Is it possible I got a bad batch of Remington? It is cheap, $31 for a box of 100 rounds at Walmart.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  2. PAGunner

PAGunner

Remington is known for garbage ammo, it'salways been dirty ammo, wouldn't be surprised if you got a few out of spec rounds ther wouldn't feed, I doubt it was the gun.

3. bunk22

bunk22

I agree as it only happened with the Remington. Regardless, still frustrating.

4. JBS

JBS

Remington of late is great for malfuction drill training :supergrin:

5. bunk22

bunk22

Well said lol I did a lot of that with that box of 100 rounds today.

6. barth

barth six barrels

I've got a Bar-Sto for my Sig P220 that has been to four different gunsmiths to improve reliability.
    NIB it would FTF every other mag.
    Each gunsmith improved the reliability each time.
    The last guy was a well respected competition gunsmith.
    I tried 200 rounds and had 1 FTF.
    They were Remington HPs ???

Maybe I need to revisit that barrel with other ammo.
    I normally only use Remington in my revolvers (357 Mag Golden Sabers).

Bought a Storm Lake for the P220 recently and it ate 200 rounds of 230 gr mixed Federal HST, Winchester Ranger T-Series and Federal JHP like candy.

7. bunk22

bunk22

So it was only Remington that had issues? I have used quite a bit of Remington 115gr JHP in my 9mm's without issue. I also shot a 100 round box last week through my G23 with no issue so it may have been a bad batch???

I shot the 50 rounds of Lawman first, followed by 20 rounds of Speer GD, no issues. Then had the problems with the Remington so I went and bought 100 rounds of the Federal White Box and they worked great.

8. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

yup Remmington is Junk, I had a round in the academy while qualifying that failed to shoot, cleared it and shot next round but aftewards picked up the bad round and its primer was in backwards, and it was a .40S&W as well, ever since then Ive never used that brand....

9. bunk22

bunk22

It's that value pack and I've used it one other time in my G23 without issue but I think I had a bad batch. Regardless, won't use it again.

10. barth

barth six barrels

Sounds like a bad batch.
    Just makes me rethink the Bar-Sto.
    I've only heard good stuff about the Sabers.
    But regular JHP????

I almost exclusively use Winchester, Federal and Speer
    in my autos.
    Just got the Remington 45 JHP on sale on a fluke.

Got to get to the UFC now - Later...
    And good luck.
    BTW Ranger Ts feed as one of the best SD rounds in all calibers for me. Try them

11. bunk22

bunk22

I wonder if guys would trust this gun though? Again, have yet to have any issues with SD rounds, only issue with these Remington and 1 Blazer aluminum round but that was probably to be expected as I've had some issues with those before.

12. PAGunner

PAGunner

I would, and I'm sure you have read some of my beefs with the BTF/EE issues, but if a gun runs with all other ammo, why not? I mean, unless you plan on running Remington hardball as SD ammo, then I wouldn't trust that combo.

13. bunk22

bunk22

I will have to research your issues. I use Speer Gold Dots for all my SD ammo, no issues of course. It is just frustrating.

14. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

That explains why it is the only brand on sale right now at my dealer. Thank you for the heads up.

15. Glock2336

Glock2336 Senor Member

Remington UMC even gives my Apex Extractor equipped Gen 4 G19 some ejection over my head yet the other ammo ejects great. It also groups horribly at a measly 7 yards while other ammo makes one hole.

16. USAFgoober

USAFgoober

My Gen4 G23 ate up 100rds of remington UMC last weekend with no issues. Maybe you just got a crap batch. I would expect that on occasion from most of the "Walmart brands". I've never experienced an issue in any handgun when using self-defense ammo though.

17. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

Are you all agreed that companies dumb-down their products to sell to WalMart?

My go-to ammo for my G27 is the 250 box of UMC 180 gr. @ Wally World, and it has ALWAYS performed very reliably. (A conservative guess is 2 or 3 thousand rounds of .40 over the last couple years.) But I can't say the same for the WWB.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  18. bunk22

bunk22

The first 100 rounds of .40 I put through this gun was same ammo, Remington 180gr JHP without issue. I use that ammo with my 9mm all the time without issue. May have been a bad box, I don't know.

19. cajun_chooter

cajun_chooter

i just attended a "training class" in which i shot 800+ rounds of Remington ammo in 2 consecutive days...with NOT ONE MIS-FIRE or STOVE PIPE..
    how about send me all your Remington ammo ? i'll burn it

20. bunk22

bunk22

What does that have to do with my gun and the ammo I shot? Especially given you shot 9mm 115gr versus what I shot, 180gr .40 S&W. However, good for you though, lame post but good for you. Are you yelling with the caps and if so, why? Glad your shooting was better than your grammar.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012