Gen 4 G22, less problems?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Wyzard360, Feb 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Wyzard360

Wyzard360

By now we've all heard of the supposed problems with Glock 22's having malfunctions after attaching a light.

What I'm wondering is if any of the previous issues have been fixed with the changes to the gen 4, assuming they were legitimate issues in the first place? Too soon to tell?

2. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Too soon.
    Problems were real.
    :supergrin:

3. wally05

wally05

I haven't heard much about it being fixed yet, but the problems were not "supposed". My dept and two other local depts switched to G17s due to the 22/23 glocks having problems with lights attached. About 200 officers total. All with newer shipped glocks. Hopefully it's fixed.

4. Little Joe

Little Joe

They haven't been out long enough to really know yet.

LJ

5. BMG22

BMG22

I'm not so sure about these mythical problems with gen 3 G22's and lights. I've got one, it has a light attached at ALL times for ALL shooting (even during the daylight!), and I've NEVER had a problem with it.

And yes, I said mythical. Urban mythical is total bs, where mythical has some sort of truth to the story. There have been isolated incidents with it. I think it was Patrick Sweeney who wrote that "SOME guns will have issues SOME of the time." It is NOT an across the board problem.

6. wally05

wally05

the problem is, if some guns are having the problem, it's a design issue and has to be fixed. it shouldn't be hit or miss.

7. BMG22

BMG22

That doesn't make it a design issue at all. Manufacturing problem that day? Possibly.

8. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Generation 3 Glock 22's almost never had a problem with lights in reality. Isolated instances converted to reports of catasrophe on the internet. Too soon to tell whether generation 4's will be as reliable in the real world with weapon lights or as unreliable in the rumor mill as generation 3's.

9. wally05

wally05

Problem is, I don't know of any other duty weapon that has had problems in mass like this, nor does our firearms instructor. Come on, guys. You can't honestly say that the G22 didn't have a problem. We are not the only depts that had problems with the 22. If the company thought it was a big enough problem to institute a design change, then maybe some of the folks shooting them should open their eyes to the problem. I think our firearms guy and the next city over said that they were in contact with 6 different departments that had similar problems.

Glock couldn't figure it out and just offered to replace them with 9mm pistols... Come on, guys.

10. Dingus

Dingus

I know of no Glock G22/G23 that has ever had a problem with a Glock factory light attached. Perhaps the real problem is in the weight or weight distribution of aftermarket lights.

11. wally05

wally05

I think that was the argument glock was making to our dept. But, what other duty pistols are affected so much by the weight of the light? I would think they should be able to take any light or issue a statement saying otherwise. I liked the G22, guys. My first gun was a G23. But, it really does make you think about using it as a duty weapon when on the line, we had multiple problems while shooting the dynamic course.

My friend loves his G22. I just think it needed a little bit of adjustment. In the end, we were just more upset that Glock wouldn't take responsibility for the problem. If they were just like "well, it's a gun problem, but we'll fix it." But, they spent 3 weeks in our area saying it was other stuff. The indiana state police had the same problem with the glock rep. They sent all the G22 and G23s back and went back to the G17. They had 1,300 troopers then (now they have about 1,800 troopers).

12. fastbolt

fastbolt

Agree. Too soon to tell.

I haven't been keeping up on a lot of the different agencies where I know Glock 22's are being carried. Some reported experiencing problems with lights and some didn't over the last several years.

I can say is that a friend of mine who just retired from one of the agencies said a lot of their guys had been experiencing feeding issues when they attached lights to their G22's, and their armorer confirmed the problems being experienced. (My friend simply never attached a light to his G22 and had no problems during training & quals.)

I spoke with another Glock armorer for a different agency who was experiencing feeding problems when he attached a light to his G23, but it ran normally without a light hanging on it.

You'd think that Glock wouldn't have gone to the effort to make a double-spring guide rod assembly unit fit inside the frame if they weren't hoping for some benefit other than simply reducing felt recoil. The last locking block redesign apparently didn't completely resolve whatever issues were involved in the G22's, listening to some users.

I know another instructor who hasn't experienced any feeding issues with hanging lights on his G19 or G21SF. I don't remember him mentioning whether he'd hung a light on his G23, let alone whether it had caused him any issues, but he got rid of it for other reasons related to personal preference and replaced it with a second G19.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  13. Polak

Polak (pō'lāk')

I've never had problems with my 3rd gen with or without the light attached.

14. windplex

windplex

With all those agencies trading in g22s you can bet Glock had that design flaw on its laundry list of things to satisfy with the new design. To do otherwise would be foolish and arrogant.

15. ipscshooter

ipscshooter Mostly IDPA now

My 3rd Gen 22 had been 100% with many different mags and a variety of ammo, until I put a TLR-2 on it. Took the light off no issue, with same mags and ammo.

I wanted it to work. Had read the internet stuff and personally talked to LEOs who had never had an issue with 22's and lights.

The Glock official line of going to dual springs, to increase spring life is a cover.

I'm waiting to see if they change the spring on the 35's. If they change that, I'll buy one and put the light on it. Until then the light is on a G34.

BTW, I had the light on a UPS 40 with no issues. I took it off the HK for other reasons.

16. wally05

wally05

Good stuff, Fastbolt. I am hoping that these problems disappear.

17. fastbolt

fastbolt

Yeah, but you can sympathize with what the gun makers have to go through when it comes to what happens with their products once they ship them out.

I mean, even the best quality firearms made are still going to have to face the variable influences introduced by factors beyond the immediate control of the gun makers, such as the actual shooter practices/skills, the ammunition being selected, the maintenance practices, any modifications made to the guns, any additional equipment/accessories added to the gun and even the environmental conditions in which the guns may be used. These influences and factors may be anticipated to a reasonable degree by the gun makers, but they don't actually have any control over them once the guns leave their hands.

Glock did apparently try to help address the needs of customers who wanted to use a light by introducing their own at one point.

Glock has made efforts to try and address this light-related issue going back to when they first changed their G22 mag spring (by adding another coil winding) for one of their large customers. There were at least a few LE customers who reported functioning issues even when lights weren't attached, however, which is what supposedly resulted, at least in part, in a locking block revision back for some of the .40's back in mid-2002.

To be fair, though, Glock, like other major manufacturers of guns used in LE/Gov service, has made continual changes and revisions as they've decided are appropriate to help provide a good quality product across their model lines. Some are fairly easily seen, like follower changes. Others may be subtle or not as easily seen, like changes to frame rail tab inserts, locking blocks and magazine bodies.

The again, it's probably fair to consider that the .40 (and .357SIG) calibers can introduce some additional issues when it comes to increased recoil forces and the stresses being placed on the guns, and which can become even more variable when you start to take into consideration the different ammunition loadings being offered (especially in the .40's).

Glock isn't the only manufacturer which has had to take the extra recoil forces and slide velocities into consideration when making guns chambered in .40 S&W, or making refinements and revisions to various parts designs or manufacture, you know. ;)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  18. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

Correct.

19. Dingus

Dingus

Should Glock design a pistol to work 100# with a Surefire light, or should Surefire design a light to work 100% with Glocks? Which is the primary product and which is the accessory?

20. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

This.

And just wow on the kool-aid drinkers.
    The 22 problems were real.
    As were the unrelated 21 problems.
    As were the unrelated 19 problems.
    As were the unrelated 36 problems.
    As were the unrelated SF problems.

Blind much?
    :rofl: