close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 4 G22 Gold Flakes After Shooting?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Frankie Figs, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Frankie Figs

Frankie Figs

I put 200 rounds through my used Gen 4 G22 and there are gold flakes all over the barrel, frame, & slide around the chamber area. Could this be an issue of the brass interfering with the chamber & leaving shavings behind? I've never seen this before. I didn't notice til I got home so I can't tell you what the brass looked like.

Thanks,
    Frankie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

Is the copper grease still inside the inside slide rails? If it were brass, I don't think it would be everywhere, it would be more localized.

3. Frankie Figs

Frankie Figs

It is pretty local. It was on the outside and inside of the slide by the ejection port, around the chamber, & on the frame in the mag well. It wasn't on the slide rails & I've detail stripped the gun & cleaned it. So there wasn't any of the gold grease left

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  4. MotoGlock

MotoGlock

Your gun is producing gold flakes? Score!

Have you seen the price of gold lately?

5. HK Dan

HK Dan

Its pieces from the case uddy. Should be okay, just dont reload anything that looks damaged

6. avenues165

avenues165

I see the same thing after going to the range with my Glock. I have never worried about it, I just figured it was the brass getting worked/scratched when shooting. I haven't noticed it in other pistols, but the glock slide is a dark grey/black. I think it makes it noticable where another pistol may not because they are silver or another color.

I noticed it with remanufactured rounds and new factory rounds.

As long as my cases aren't split or jacked up I am not going to worry about it.

7. HGxyz

HGxyz

If you look at the ejected brass, you will probably find a dent near the casing mouth. The new gen 4 ejector may reduce that. It happens on mine, but the gun is reliable.

8. Snapper2

Snapper2

My gen4 g23 did this a lot while new. I use Ballistol to clean the slide and remove the brass smeared on it. No problems with it now.:cool:

9. JBS

JBS

90 percent of the time the brass particles are being shaved off the case rim by a sharp edge on the bottom inside lip of the extractor. As the case moves up the breach face it must overcome this ledge and the result is the particles. If it really bothers you, you can remove the extractor and break the sharp edge with a honing stone.

10. Frankie Figs

Frankie Figs

I was worried cuz my XDm 9mm, Gen 3 G19, and 2 1911's have never done that. I experienced no malfunctions & only a couple forehead taps from ejected brass lol I guess I won't worry. Should I detail strip & clean it to get it all out? I usually only wipe down & oil my guns after the range. I detail clean them whenever they look like they need it lol

11. Boot Stomper

Boot Stomper

You got a bad Glock. :steamed: I'll buy it from you for $250.00 just because I'm a nice guy. :supergrin: Your welcome. :wavey:

12. Andy W

Andy W

I noticed the same thing with my Gen 4 Glock 22 when I field stripped it today. My M&P 9 used to have the same brass shavings but I haven't noticed it as much lately. I don't think its a problem. As others have said, probably just the extractor shaving brass off the cases during ejection. Any sharp edges on the extractor probably round out a little with use.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  13. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Normal. Go shoot it some more & it will wear in.