Gen 4 G17 back from Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bw77, Mar 30, 2012.

1. bw77

bw77

I sent my Gen 4 G17 in to Glock on 3/7 for FTE's and brass to the forehead.It is a December 2010 manufacture date. I got it back this week. Got the paper from Glock stating what was done:

Inspected
    Upgraded
    Meets Factory Specs
    Tested ok.

It looks as though they installed the new 30274 ejector. Not sure what else they did. I really wish they would include a bit more detail like what they did, how many test rounds were fired. I mean what do they consider "factory specs". I will test fire this weekend to see if its fixed.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Hope it the range trip goes well, keep us posted

:50cal:

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The factory armorers normally fire 50 test rounds to insure there are no problems after repair. The tech probably replaced:

recoil spring assembly
    ejector
    connector

4. bac1023

bac1023

Hope it works out

5. Glock40man

Glock40man

Good luck. Hopefully its 100%.

6. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

7. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

Good luck. My Gen 2 G19 has been in Smyrna since 2/29. I'm really hoping I get it back soon.

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Oh glockaholic!

man, it really amazes me that this is still an issue. Mine has run great with over 500 rounds through it. Hope it worked out for you as i know how buying a new gun and it not running right really brings a guy down!

9. bw77

bw77

I hope it's fixed. It will probably be Monday or Tuesday before I get to the range. I picked up a new M&P 9 at the gunshow today so I'm really wanting to shoot that too. Never really handled one before today and it fits in my hand like a glove.

10. bw77

bw77

Well, went to the range today and put 100 rnds through the G17. No failures whatsoever, and no brass to the forehead! Ejection was still a bit weak though, just up and barely to the right. Good enough though.

A co worker of mine wants to buy it from me and I think I'm going to sell it to him. I really like my new M&P 9 and I think I'm just over the Glock. The M&P just fits my hand so much better and I shoot it better too.

Gotta give it to Glock customer service though. They took care of me and fixed the gun in a timely manner.

11. Glock_en_speil

Glock_en_speil

bw77,

Our stories are remarkably similar. I also own an early 17/G4 (Feb 2010) with ejection issues and I purchased a M&P 9 which I also prefer over the Glock. Just like you, I also shoot the M&P better.

I did not wish to send my pistol to Glock because there are too many stories of them returning the gun in less-than-good condition. I elected to wait until the new ejector was available through retail parts vendors which it finally is. I have the "dot" connector and I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the ejector. I'm going to install it, test fire 50 rounds, clean it and sell it.

I can't say that I'll never buy another Glock, their 25 year track record is, for the most part, quite excellent. It's just a shame that I chose this particular time to get into Glock with the release of the 17/G4 and all it's issues. Over the past year I've really gotten into 1911's and have a $3000+ semi-custom on order from Wilson Combat so whatever I get for the 17 will help fund that.

12. JBP55

JBP55

The Op's pistol was made in 2010.

13. bw77

bw77

I would have no qualms about sending a pistol back to Glock. Their customer sevice was excellent and the gun came back clean and in good working order.

14. GlockFanBoy25

GlockFanBoy25

Ditto. I've sent a gun to them (3 times now) and they're always awesome to deal with. I'm confident they're trying to make it right.

15. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

I hope alls well with it now. I stopped by Glock today to get night sights put on my g4 17 and 26. He noticed I had the old ejector (I haven't had any probs) and replaced it for me. So that worked out for me, and I got a free copy of the 2012 glock annual magizine.

16. Glock_en_speil

Glock_en_speil

There have been more than few reports on this forum about guns coming back from Glock with chewed up sights and some marks on the slide that weren't there before. The one thing my 17/G4 has going for it is that it's an early production model with the dark/smooth/tennifer treatment finish that many Glock enthusiasts seem to prefer. In theory that should make my gun a little more valuable to a discriminating buyer.

The Gen 4's with this finish are fairly rare because Glock changed to the gray/textured/gas nitride (tree hugger friendly) finish shortly after the Gen 4's went into production. I don't want my gun messed up by some tech who happens to be in a hurry to go to lunch or home, etc. That's why I opted to wait until the parts are available so I could install them myself.

I have the Glock armorer's tool, the armorer's manual and have watched the videos on youtube on how to properly disassemble the receiver. I perform precision mechanical repairs on very small electronic items as part of what I do for a living. It should be very easy for me to install the upgraded parts myself and this way I can take the proper care not to scratch up the gun in any way. No one is going to care for my gun more than me.

17. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

Keep your shirt buttoned up to the neck!

18. Tomass

Tomass

I'm in the same boat. I fired about 600 rounds through my G17 and get FTF/FTE and brass in the face. My RSA is 0 2 4 and my ejector is 336. I'm going to call Glcok Monday. Very disappointing for my first Glock. I had a Taurus 92 and 99 that never, ever had any problems. :(

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012