close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 4 26 -Brass to face. Shocking details inside.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by kamonjj, Apr 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kamonjj

kamonjj

Well I went to the range today with my Gen 4 26. Approx 700 rounds down the pipe. Zero failures to feed, extract, or anything. Has the updated ejector, same extractor that came on it originally. I updated the ejector myself even though I wasn't having (and never had) the brass to the face issue. Until today that is.

This is what I discovered. Interesting to say the least. The brass to the face was completely ammo dependent.

I was shooting reloads however, I was using 2 different powders and loads. Same OAL, and primers, clean brass.

With my 124gr 4.6 grs using unique powder, zero brass to the face. I have over 500 rounds of this load down the pipe in this 26 and have had nothing but great success.

With 124gr 3.9 grs using clays, brass to the face every round. Today was the first day I tried the clays. I was using it for other calibers and decided that I'll load some 9mm with it since I had just run out of unique. Which is what I normally use and have had great results with it.

I could literally put in a mag of unique, fire with great ejection. Then follow it with a mag of clays, brass only hitting me in the face.

The unique is a much hotter load. You can definitely feel the difference in recoil to an extreme degree.

More to follow on this. I'll work up a load using bullseye powder this weekend and test it monday afternoon to see if the trend continues.

I still have 150 rounds of the unique loaded and sitting in the safe that I can use to test this in conjunction with other make ups. I'll even churn out another 50 rounds of the clays since my press is still setup to load it right now. I'll mix match rounds in the same mag as well to see if it is indeed round specific.

Stay tuned my friends.

2. Inebriated

Inebriated

I thought it was widely known that lower powered ammo gave brass to the face?

3. kamonjj

kamonjj

From a lot of what I read it was no matter what ammo they used

4. Inebriated

Inebriated

Huh... I always assumed it was the low powered ammo. Same reason the limp wristing will do it... slide isn't moving fast enough to get a good ejection. I know I got my 21 to do it when I limp wristed it. Haven't gotten any one type of ammo to do it, though. I'm certainly interested in seeing what you can find on it!

5. ken grant

ken grant

I have tried 3.8 and 3.9 gr. of Clays with 115 gr. bullets in my 19 & 26 and get crazy ejections as well.

I got the powder in a good trade deal and thought I would try it. I am plan to go ahead and shoot it up but won't load anymore of it.

6. Prryan45

Prryan45

I was using 5.8 grains of Unique with a 115 FMJ bullet today and had no problems with my late model Gen 3's.That is a hot load.

7. bobbyb

bobbyb

I recently purchased a gen 3 19 for IDPA and concealed carry. The gun has 3-4 hundred rounds through it so far with no malfunctions of any kind.

I had my brother who reloads make me some light shooting low velocity 115 grain fmj rounds for me to play with. I wanted to see how much of a noticable difference / advantage I would get for IDPA matches with less muzzle flip and quicker follow up shots. I did notice a performance edge but.......
    I started getting brass to the face and right shoulder. I instantly started thinking of all the brass to the face threads here on GT.
    I'm sure a lighter lb recoil spring would allow for proper ejection if I wanted to go the weak ammo route.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this thread as well and to second what Kamonjj posted.

8. 153

I have not yet suffered the brass to face problem, but after noticing some extractions to the left, and straight up in my G26, I polished the extractor hook. Afterwards I noticed an improvement, but still have the up and left issues - albeit very rarely.

I am concluding that ammo is the root cause of this problem, especially since I mostly shoot WWB. I did order two of the older non-LCI extractor hooks, just because.

9. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Had some erratic "behavior" from my Gen4 G26 for the first couple hundred rounds....using Remington UMC bulk pack 115gr ammo.

I posted about it here...and some jumped in to say that "it ain't the ammo"!!

Once I started using 124gr Speer Lawman ammo....not a SINGLE malfunction or weak ejection!

So...I'm no rocket scientist, but it seems to me that "it IS the ammo!" :wavey:

Run it hot, and it will run like we have come to expect from Glock. Run weak ammo, and.....it will run like a Hi-Point with no lube or cleaning!

10. multo17

multo17

The first time I took 2 of my Nines to an indoor range- G17 Gen3 & SIG P226 a few days ago. My G17- I had 1 brass to the face, 1 in the chest & 2 on my right shoulder, the rest was fine. I did have ONE FTF using one of my Glock Factory 33rd mag(I had 2 of them I used), the rest none. I shot a total of 101 rds of 115gr WWhite box. My SIG P226 had none to the face & body, & flawless, even when I used one of those 33rd no name brand mag I bought for $12.95 online @CDNN, also 102 rds of WW box! Both of these guns are fun to shoot, especially my Sig. However, I did install a solid ss guide rod with factory spring weight on both of my pistols. The G17, from a seller on ebay- Glockpolishing, & on my Sig- from Rhynotek. I'm just not a fan of factory stock guide rods.:cool:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  11. kamonjj

kamonjj

Well I'm going to do some testing as stated before and prove without a doubt it is weak ammo causing the issues. Not saying that I agree with it since I feel that they should properly eject any legit ammo you feed them though. Kinda pisses me off actually.

12. diamondd2

diamondd2

I found that anything with a velocity of 1150fps or faster ejects 4 oclock and 4 - 6' away. Anything less than 1150fps starts to get erratic.

13. post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic magnifi ba$tard

I find the details to be less than "shocking". I expect some pretty scandalous sh1t when I see a title like that. You've wasted my time, sir. :impatient:

14. Filhar

Filhar

4.6 gr of Unique with a 126 gr bullet is the load I've used for Cowboy Action for 12 years. Seems a tad light for a 26.

15. djegators

djegators

Keep in mind folks, that there may be other issues going on, and the hotter ammo is overcoming them. I don't know about reloads, but it seems to me a Glock should function with pretty much all factory range ammo.

16. tgmr05

tgmr05

If you had one of the glocks that truly had the problem, you would not be so 'shocked'. Just about any problem can be duplicated with crappy ammo, crappy grip, or messing with the internals.

'Shocking', is after 25+ years owning and shooting over 27 glocks, you buy one that TRULY does throw brass everywhere, not just with certain/specific loadings. And, it jams, not necessarily every round, but sporadically enough to be a problem.

All you have proven, is that your glock fails with one type of certain/specific reloaded ammo AND possibly that you more than likely are exhibiting a 'limp wrister' type of shooting style with that particular ammo/glock combination.

Since you reload, you most certainly should understand the relationship between reloading and the changes that minor adjustments make. Certain loads can be problematic, and then the same load tweaked just a little can run like a champ and be more accurate.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you have not stumbled across anything astonishing. You can have a 5000 dollar custom gun, and cause it to choke on certain/specific reloads.....

17. ken grant

ken grant

[QUOTE

I am concluding that ammo is the root cause of this problem, especially since I mostly shoot WWB. I did order two of the older non-LCI extractor hooks, just because.[/QUOTE]

Where did you order the non-LCI extractors?

18. 153

Where did you order the non-LCI extractors?[/QUOTE]

Brownell's

19. conpro

conpro

Its called limp wrist.

20. MCLAVER

MCLAVER

There may be multiple issues here. I only use quality factory ammo in my Gen 4 Glock 23, Federal, Remington, Winchester and shells were flying everywhere. I got hit in the head, and a shell even scratched my glasses. I called Glock and they sent a new dot connector, and new ejector to my local Armorer. Now every shell is going exactly to the right, with the same ammo I was having problems with before. I also have a Gen 4 Glock 35, which never had the problem, so it was not how I was holding the Gun.

For me, the erratic ejection problem was definitely caused by a bad ejector, not Ammo or how I held my gun. Once the ejector was replaced, the gun works perfect, same Ammo, same hold on the gun.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012