close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 4 23 Reliable :(

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TurtleBoy617, Apr 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. TurtleBoy617

TurtleBoy617 OoRah!

Hey guys,

I have a Gen 4 Glock 23 made in january 09.

I kept the original spring for it, and also have the new one they replaced them with recently. I've tried it with both with the same results:

Every 100 rounds, at least 2 or 3 rounds fails to feed. It is always the last round in the magazine with the mags i've been using. The round appears to be pointing up in the chamber.

I used the same magazines with my Gen 2 23 and it functioned flawlessly.

Help!!

2. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

The fact that it happens with the last round in the magazine suggests that it's a magazine problem. Next time you go to the range, try to keep track of which magazine the FTF's occur with. If it happens with some magazines and not others, the magazines that the failures occurred with are the problem.

The newest .40 magazines may have excess plastic on the plastic protrusions at the front of each feed lip. The rounds may rub against those protrusions, slowing the rise of the rounds and causing a failure to feed, particularly with the last few rounds in the magazine when the magazine spring is exerting less force. I've personally had two G23 magazines fail to feed while the rest of my magazines worked fine, one with a "1" next to the Glock logo on the rear of the magazine and another with a "2" next to the Glock logo. I shaved those protrusions down and both magazines work flawlessly now.

There's a small possibility that the extractor doesn't move freely enough, which would cause failures to feed. But that would happen regardless of how many rounds are left in the magazine. If the extractor is the cause of the failures, replacing it with another .40 Loaded Chamber Indicator(LCI) extractor should fix it.

Here's a picture showing one of the plastic protrusions in the magazine. There is one of these protrusions at the front of both the left and right feed lips, and both may need to be shaved down to make the magazine function properly. Never mind the instructions in the picture, just shave them down until the magazine works properly. You don't have to worry about removing too much, the magazine will function properly even if they're removed entirely.
    [​IMG]

And in this picture I colored in the plastic surfaces that you shave down, at the front of both the left and right feed lips:
    [​IMG]

3. Rangerwt

Rangerwt

When was your Glock made? January the nineth of this year or January 2009?

I hope this is not another gen4 bashing thread.

4. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

And are those GLOCK mags? If they are not, there is your problem.

5. TurtleBoy617

TurtleBoy617 OoRah!

January 2009. Definitely NOT a bashing thread.

I LOVE the feel of the grip texture and the recoil. I shot the gen 4 and my gen 2 side by side last week and while I love the gen 2 as well, the Gen 4 is amazing as far as recoil goes. Not as punishing on my hand for shooting a couple hundred rounds from and easier for follow up shots.

I also own a G22 and G27 both Gen 4's that have performed flawlessly to date. Just trying to figure out whats going on with my gun so I can get it running reliably for off-duty carry.

Ron 59, they ARE glock magazines. I am going to give glock a call, these magazines I am using are recent, I believe they are circa february 2009. I ordered 5 of them from glock meister to stock pile because of the election haha. They may be a bad batch or something. I am going to try running a few old 10-round mags through it to see if it works through that as well.

6. Rangerwt

Rangerwt

Well, I most just be confused. I thought that Glock didn't even announce the gen4's until the 2010 shot show and the gen4 G23 I think cam out in the spring of 2011. I must have my info wrong.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  7. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Voyager's fix seems to have worked for quite a few people but before grinding on them I'd try the 22 mags in that 23 to see if they run okay. If so, then you've isolated it to a mag issue, which it seems to be at this point but I've been surprised before. :supergrin:

8. TurtleBoy617

TurtleBoy617 OoRah!

You'd be correct. I must have my head up my butt today. It's Jan of 2011 actually. Duh..

9. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Ron
    Glock Gen 4 magazines with either a #1 or #2 next to the Glock logo are the problem. With Voyagers tutorial I was able to get two of my Gen 4 magazines up and running,the other Gen 4's are down the road.
    You know it's really bad when Korean knock off's function better than genuine Glock mags.
    I will Never spend one more cent on a Glock Gen 4 Imperfection magazine,thankfully I have a big pile of Perfection Gen 3 magazines. SJ 40

10. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Interesting.... I wasn't even aware of that. Partially, not having a Gen4 of my own and seeing SO MANY Gen4 bashing threads... I tend to skip some of the Gen4 threads.

This particular thread surprised me, as I've not been seeing many issues with Gen4 .40s, mostly with the 9mms and the G19 in particular.

Anyway... one more thing to file away. Thanks for the info.

11. TurtleBoy617

TurtleBoy617 OoRah!

Really!? What makes the "1 and 2" next to the logo different? Is there a way to order without that

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. bam1131

bam1131

My gen 4 17 was made in March 1 and doesn't have any numbers next to the logo.

13. TurtleBoy617

TurtleBoy617 OoRah!

I just checked my mags and my g22 gen 4 mags. All but 1 of the 23 mags has a "1" next to the logo, the other one is a "2". All my G22 mags have a "2" next to them.

14. MonsterB

MonsterB

Really? I have a G23, with #2 mags, and with 1k rounds or so, I have had 100% reliability and ejection pattern. I use all 3 mags the same amount, and have not had the slightest issue. In fact its the best performing Glock I have owned yet.

15. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

The numbers next to the Glock logo on the rear of the magazine indicate variations in magazine tube design, and each are specific to caliber. I've never heard of 9mm magazines having them, and I only have experience with the .40 magazines.

Among the "ambi-cut" .40 magazines, the first one has "no number" with #8 follower and much thinner plastic protrusions at the front of the feed lips that reach deeper down into the tube(they have a profile matching the "old side view" in the above pictures). The next has "1" with #8 follower and the protrusions stick out more but reach shallower into the tube("new side view" in the picture above). The next has "2" with #8 follower and the protrusions are identical to "1", but the inner dimensions of the metal liner are tighter near the top. The next has "2" with #9 follower and is identical to the previous "2" besides the follower. And finally the last version has "2" with #9 follower, but the protrusions have been shaved down after the magazine was made(so apparently Glock is aware of the problem), and the metal liner and plastic mold have been changed to have a little more space for the part of the follower that engages the slide stop so that there's plenty of clearance for the wider part of the #9 follower which engages the slide stop. I can't remember when the Gen4 cuts were added, I think with the introduction of the #9 followers.

The 22-round .40 magazines seem to be identical to both versions of the "2" magazines that came with #9 followers. The early ones had the bigger protrusions and less space for the follower, the latest ones have the protrusions shaved down and more space for the follower.

I have a few magazines with the larger protrusions that have never given me any problems, so apparently some are just bigger than others, just big enough to cause problems.

16. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Ron
    Some more information on the Gen 4 magazine problem, a big Thank You to Voyager for the information and the fix.
    Now if Glock would get it's act together do perhaps a modicum of testing before making changes to what had worked for years, namly Gen 3 magazines.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17567327

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1168444

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1157287

SJ 40

17. Armedleprechaun

Armedleprechaun

Send it to Glock. They came out with a new ejector, that will solve the problem. Also, have them install the dot connector. It smooths the trigger out nicely. Hope this helps. :)

18. TurtleBoy617

TurtleBoy617 OoRah!

I am thinking I will give them a call monday about sending them my gun to check it out, install new injector, new connector, and may see if i send them my mags if they will replace them. Worth a shot I guess.

I don't know if the new connector will help, I have a gen 3 smooth face trigger installed on it right now.

19. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

The GEN4 G23 was out before that, as I was able to fire 2 mags through one at the Conyers GSSF match in 2010.

20. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

I don't think that the new ejector and connector will fix your problem since you don't have any failures to eject. You experience failure to feed with a Glock which are most likely caused by bad magazines. Are you using the mags which came with your g23 gen4? I would go out and buy a new .40 gen4 mag and try it again, you can never have enough mags anyway. The new mag should have a "2" next to Glock logo and an #9 follower. These are the mags which came with my recently made (test fired 01-2012) g23 gen4.

Good luck!

Edit: if it works with the new mag, call Glock and tell them about the bad mags, I am sure they replace them for free.